2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're just learning a two hour soak is all you need to know if you've ****** up or not. Try three sets in a day to practice. If you get a dozen in each trap you can throw them back down right where you had them if you have nothing then move them. My wife and I did a 260 prawn load in two hours off Bowen in 4 traps about 6 weeks ago.
Thanks, Rain City, that's great advice. I only have 2 traps and with the help of my bro, we can try different spots. Depth-wise, should I stay around 200' to 350'.

One other question on prawn traps, if you have 4 traps, would you still put all 4 traps one line?

Thanks, Rain City, that's great advice. I only have 2 traps and with the help of my bro, we can try different spots. Depth-wise, should I stay around 200' to 350'.
This year we found them shallow around 250. Sometimes in some places they're deeper up to 350. If you're into squat lobsters I think that means you're too deep. Not 100% sure on that one but you're not in the right spot, change it up.
One other question on prawn traps, if you have 4 traps, would you still put all 4 traps one line?
You can fish four traps in a line but you need a buoy on each end. I don't like doing that personally because you cant experiment with different spots as easily. Plus it's a lot of gear for a scotty puller.

We ended up with 5 to the boat yesterday. Marked fish up high and hit a nice mid teen at 60’ if that helps. Had another 10lber while bringing up the gear around 45’. Glow hootchie seemed to be more productive.

Spotted an orca pod off in the distance near RC. Perhaps this has turned the bite off.

We ended up with 5 to the boat yesterday. Marked fish up high and hit a nice mid teen at 60’ if that helps. Had another 10lber while bringing up the gear around 45’. Glow hootchie seemed to be more productive.

Spotted an orca pod off in the distance near RC. Perhaps this has turned the bite off.

Thanks for the report.
Where did you catch your fish??

My uncles got into a few keepers at the hump today I was told. That's all I got.

This year we found them shallow around 250. Sometimes in some places they're deeper up to 350. If you're into squat lobsters I think that means you're too deep. Not 100% sure on that one but you're not in the right spot, change it up.

You can fish four traps in a line but you need a buoy on each end. I don't like doing that personally because you cant experiment with different spots as easily. Plus it's a lot of gear for a scotty puller.
Thank you! Great info.

First Pull (35 ) while on the Island last week. Got a great spot , fish 210-280 on a reef and usually in 4 hours we get our 2 person limit.
Sorry not about to give the GPS location but its 15 min from a boat launch. we use tuna cat food and pallets mixed up.

PSX_20190423_101928.jpg

Dropped prawn traps around passage island. Then headed back to shore to attend the protest. Went back and grabbed the traps after 5 hours, 1 trap nothing and the other had 2. So I guess based on what I spent for puller and the gears, each prawn cost me $500.Lol. I guess my problem was that bait was not exposed properly. I’ll keep learning. On a positive note, limited on crabs.

Dropped prawn traps around passage island. Then headed back to shore to attend the protest. Went back and grabbed the traps after 5 hours, 1 trap nothing and the other had 2. So I guess based on what I spent for puller and the gears, each prawn cost me $500.Lol. I guess my problem was that bait was not exposed properly. I’ll keep learning. On a positive note, limited on crabs.

What do you look for when dropping your crab traps? I've just been trying random bays in 30-50 feet.. sometimes I find a crab.. sometimes not. Would like to be a little more targeted in my approach.

Last edited:
What do you look for when dropping your prawn traps? I've just been trying random bays in 30-50 feet.. sometimes I find a crab.. sometimes not. Would like to be a little more targeted in my approach.
30-50 ft is WAY too shallow for most prawns. 200-400' is better and I typically prawn at 200-270'. I look for ledges with relatively muddy bottoms that drop off to deeper areas.

I mix up tuna bellies with fish flavored cat food, prawn bait pellets and herring oil. You want some oily stuff and small particles that come out early and some bigger stuff that takes longer to fall apart. You want a heavily weighted trap as the line in the current will move the trap iff it's not weighted enough. A small anchor or down rigger ball on the line about 15-20 up from the pot will help reduce the vibration on the pot as the current pulls into the line. Less pot movement/vibration increases the catch rate dramatically.

30-50 ft is WAY too shallow for most prawns. 200-400' is better and I typically prawn at 200-270'. I look for ledges with relatively muddy bottoms that drop off to deeper areas.

I mix up tuna bellies with fish flavored cat food, prawn bait pellets and herring oil. You want some oily stuff and small particles that come out early and some bigger stuff that takes longer to fall apart. You want a heavily weighted trap as the line in the current will move the trap iff it's not weighted enough. A small anchor or down rigger ball on the line about 15-20 up from the pot will help reduce the vibration on the pot as the current pulls into the line. Less pot movement/vibration increases the catch rate dramatically.
Im an idiot - I meant to say crab traps.

What do you look for when dropping your crab traps? I've just been trying random bays in 30-50 feet.. sometimes I find a crab.. sometimes not. Would like to be a little more targeted in my approach.
That’s the best way to find YOUR honey hole
I usually aim for 60 ft but that’s dependant in which bay I’m in
When you find a honey hole don’t tell everyone about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back