Upset about the Chinook Closures? What to do next?

DFO has chose mass closure and put all chinook stocks in one basket, using lowest denominator of science and appeasing the appetites of the NGO's and appearing to be doing something. We know that much of the areas that are closed now could have been open to a 1/day harvest of hatchery chinook and spot closures could have been used to virtually eliminate any impact on these early Fraser stocks of concern. The fishing these last couple weeks has been off the charts amazing and the best I have seen in the past 20 years. The chinook stocks being caught are healthy populations, that are thriving and they are not the stocks of concern. DFO chose to ignore the science on the basis of keeping the First Nations nets out of the river. Suddenly they think enforcement will magically happen? We're talking about a Liberal government that has been closing DFO offices. In fact the Mission DFO office got closed, which is makes no sense! We had to fight tooth and nail to save our Squamish DFO enforcement office.

This closure is nothing more than appeasing the NGO's and making the public appear that this government cares about salmon. Instead of taking real action on the problem!

DFO has chose mass closure and put all chinook stocks in one basket, using lowest denominator of science and appeasing the appetites of the NGO's and appearing to be doing something. We know that much of the areas that are closed now could have been open to a 1/day harvest of hatchery chinook and spot closures could have been used to virtually eliminate any impact on these early Fraser stocks of concern. The fishing these last couple weeks has been off the charts amazing and the best I have seen in the past 20 years. The chinook stocks being caught are healthy populations, that are thriving and they are not the stocks of concern. DFO chose to ignore the science on the basis of keeping the First Nations nets out of the river. Suddenly they think enforcement will magically happen? We're talking about a Liberal government that has been closing DFO offices. In fact the Mission DFO office got closed, which is makes no sense! We had to fight tooth and nail to save our Squamish DFO enforcement office.

This closure is nothing more than appeasing the NGO's and making the public appear that this government cares about salmon. Instead of taking real action on the problem!

SNC Lavalin pales in comparison to the corruption within DFO, If we ever needed a whistleblower it would be now.

when & where is the DFO meeting in Richmond this week?

These dates were given in a post elsewhere. Which is correct?

Subject: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consultation/fm-gp/srkw-eprs/index-eng.html

Richmond April 25, 2019 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm (doors open at 5:00 pm) Executive Hotel Vancouver Airport
7311 Westminster Highway, Richmond
Sooke April 24, 2019 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm (doors open at 5:00 pm) Prestige Oceanfront Resort
6929 W Coast Rd, Sooke
Victoria April 23, 2019 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm (doors open at 5:00 pm) Westin Bear Mountain Golf Resort & Spa
1999 Country Club Way, Victoria

Derby, Yesterday at 11:08 AM Report

I got those dates in an email from Berry’s Tackle yesterday. Not sure what the April 25 meeting is all about. Could be two meetings for separate closure discussions???

Get a load of this.

When you call Wilkinsons office in NVan....... The answering machine if DFO related call Ottawa. What a flippin joke!

We finally get another West Coast Resident in a fisheries seat and he throws the Bomb of closures on our Coastline.

Another spineless worm looking for an easy path to a Pension Check.

All this smoke n mirrors lies decisions based on emotion rather than all science.

You can rest assure none of these closures Build More Salmon....... It just gives more to the Illegal selling black market salmon that are making the rest of FNs look sickening.

These types of decisions are what Drive Racism. Untill there is one law for all, one set of rules for all, same penalties for all ......this crap will continue .

With a election in October ....... I hope you know who NOT to vote for. That's for sure.

Get these Liberals out of office ASAP!

ID4

Last edited:
While it may make you feel better. My thoughts are that your boycott of one does nothing to the organization that draws your anger.
You're right about my rant. My apologies to anyone with sensitive eyes. However it felt good to let off some stream. But seriously, if we all think DFO is going to work with us in complete honesty I hope I'm wrong in being suspicious about their motives. The science behind the SRKW rescue plan that DFO has offered has been called into question by some SRKW researchers and scientists. Fishers who know these proposed closure areas very well are questioning their necessity. Also you don't see Washington State closing off their chinook fishing to help SRKW as far as I know. They seem to have a more balanced approach to helping chinook stocks and SRKW's. Washington State is also planning to pump a lot more money into their plan. If we look at the numbers between what all of Canada is willing to anti up compared to one little American state the difference should be telling us just how serious our federal government and DFO are about helping chinook salmon and SRKW's in BC waters. This may be only the beginning of what the Feds/DFO have in store for rec fishers in BC. The grizzly bear hunting ban is along the same lines. Also, I believe what someone else said on the forum, saying that the federal & provincial environmental ministries are increasingly embedded with green employees. There is big money behind the push to shut down fishing and hunting. Also Canada has made international environmental commitments and has obligated itself to set aside more land and marine habitat areas. Its entirely possible these SRKW closed areas would help Canada fufill it's international commitments. It seems like a green wave is about to hit us. In 5 years there's a good bet a lot more of us will be cursing. My 2 cents.

You're right about my rant. My apologies to anyone with sensitive eyes. However it felt good to let off some stream. But seriously, if we all think DFO is going to work with us in complete honesty I hope I'm wrong in being suspicious about their motives. The science behind the SRKW rescue plan that DFO has offered has been called into question by some SRKW researchers and scientists. Fishers who know these proposed closure areas very well are questioning their necessity. Also you don't see Washington State closing off their chinook fishing to help SRKW as far as I know. They seem to have a more balanced approach to helping chinook stocks and SRKW's. Washington State is also planning to pump a lot more money into their plan. If we look at the numbers between what all of Canada is willing to anti up compared to one little American state the difference should be telling us just how serious our federal government and DFO are about helping chinook salmon and SRKW's in BC waters. This may be only the beginning of what the Feds/DFO have in store for rec fishers in BC. The grizzly bear hunting ban is along the same lines. Also, I believe what someone else said on the forum, saying that the federal & provincial environmental ministries are increasingly embedded with green employees. There is big money behind the push to shut down fishing and hunting. Also Canada has made international environmental commitments and has obligated itself to set aside more land and marine habitat areas. Its entirely possible these SRKW closed areas would help Canada fufill it's international commitments. It seems like a green wave is about to hit us. In 5 years there's a good bet a lot more of us will be cursing. My 2 cents.

No problem here.

WA is closing area 7 (san juan islands) to fishing due to the SRKWs.

I’m not a Canadian so I’m not sure if a letter from me will mean anything. What I’d much rather do is write a letter to a lawyer who represents the sportfishing community and enclose a check.
I hope it's a big one.

No problem here.

WA is closing area 7 (san juan islands) to fishing due to the SRKWs.
I stand corrected then. It would be good to know how extensive WA closures are compared to BC. Guess WA skins are thicker than mine. We should all watch the 2 hour doc on Luna the KW at Nootka Sound. She survived for at least 2 years on her own without any pod, found whatever local food throughout the year, sought out human companionship and intermingled with boats and people every day. Watching that clip finished off any belief in DFO's science. Think I'm buying into KW's dependence on large mature chinook and huge distances from humans? Not that I agree with flotilla's of boats dogging KW's all day or that we don't need to help our fish stocks in both US & Canada. Just that I don't agree with DFO's focus on extreme fishing restrictions and huge area closures as its primary focus while funding and focusing very little in other important areas.

I stand corrected then. It would be good to know how extensive WA closures are compared to BC. Guess WA skins are thicker than mine. We should all watch the 2 hour doc on Luna the KW at Nootka Sound. She survived for at least 2 years on her own without any pod, found whatever local food throughout the year, sought out human companionship and intermingled with boats and people every day. Watching that clip finished off any belief in DFO's science. Think I'm buying into KW's dependence on large mature chinook and huge distances from humans? Not that I agree with flotilla's of boats dogging KW's all day or that we don't need to help our fish stocks in both US & Canada. Just that I don't agree with DFO's focus on extreme fishing restrictions and huge area closures as its primary focus while funding and focusing very little in other important areas.

When we get the official word I will post them.

Right now, for area 9 which is the junction of the "T" at the end of the JDF, we get 3500 TOTAL chinook. they guess it will be open 3 days.

Right now, for area 9 which is the junction of the "T" at the end of the JDF, we get 3500 TOTAL chinook. they guess it will be open 3 days.

you guys catch 3500 in 3 days wow

When is DFO going to update their web site. Not everyone reads this forum and if your just going by the regs on line they haven’t changed them to reflect the changes made. On line the regs say last updated 04/19/19. Neither has the fishing bc app been updated.

That sucks a lot. It must sound like we're a bunch of spoiled whiners up here. In general, what do rec fishermen there think about their fishery and management? There's that report of 1.5 billion going into helping fish & SRKW's.

That sucks a lot. It must sound like we're a bunch of spoiled whiners up here. In general, what do rec fishermen there think about their fishery and management? There's that report of 1.5 billion going into helping fish & SRKW's.
Their Halibut quota gets caught real fast in May

Back