Apparently it’s good news..

It seems that the areas with the expensive hard to get to, high end lodges catering to the rich, full pocket crowd aren't taking a hit. Central coast, haida gwaii... If anything it will make them busier. Basically a nice gift from the government. I hope lobbying wasn't involved in this decision but it wouldn't surprise me if money changed hands... It seems we (joe public) always get shafted while the big money seems to keep making their profits. Can I ask what hit the disease laden, open net pen invasive atlantic salmon fish farms are taking without my post getting removed? It seems to me they remain unscathed as usual while the rest of us take the hit. Is science no longer involved in decision making? It sure seems that way.
I agree 100%. Why are the DFO not removing all Fish Farms off the Ocean? Why are the Fish farms allowed to keep infesting our Wild Salmon with Sea Lice and infecting them with deadly viruses like PRV?

Well I guess if the Fraser Springs don’t pass through that area, seems fair. Probably not wise to celebrate too much though.
Do they swim with a no go zone imprinted into their brain or is there other considerations at play like Big Money?

Do they swim with a no go zone imprinted into their brain or is there other considerations at play like Big Money?
I’ve asked DFO that same question. It’s possible they take a further offshore route.

Pretty sure Haida Gwaii has a documented interception rate on Fraser fish. Not sure how they escaped unscathed without going right to the conspiracy theories.

It seems that the areas with the expensive hard to get to, high end lodges catering to the rich, full pocket crowd aren't taking a hit. Central coast, haida gwaii... If anything it will make them busier. Basically a nice gift from the government. I hope lobbying wasn't involved in this decision but it wouldn't surprise me if money changed hands... It seems we (joe public) always get shafted while the big money seems to keep making their profits. Can I ask what hit the disease laden, open net pen invasive atlantic salmon fish farms are taking without my post getting removed? It seems to me they remain unscathed as usual while the rest of us take the hit. Is science no longer involved in decision making? It sure seems that way.
I’m not sure that’s the main reason.

The northern lodges do their dna sampling and don’t get many Fraser Chinooks from what I understand, mostly Skeena fish.

FYI my nephew grew up in QCI and guided many years up there and was one of the top producing guides at Peregrine lodge, a very high end outfit.

I caught 4 times the Chinooks he did so paying those big bucks doesn’t guarantee awesome fishing.

Also, Rivers Inlet is a terminal fishery supported by a very successful privately hatchery funded by the lodges

I know we are all pissed off but need to stick to the facts

I’m not sure that’s the main reason.

The northern lodges do their dna sampling and don’t get many Fraser Chinooks from what I understand, mostly Skeena fish.

FYI my nephew grew up in QCI and guided many years up there and was one of the top producing guides at Peregrine lodge, a very high end outfit.

I caught 4 times the Chinooks he did so paying those big bucks doesn’t guarantee awesome fishing.

Also, Rivers Inlet is a terminal fishery supported by a very successful privately hatchery funded by the lodges

I know we are all pissed off but need to stick to the facts
if Haida Gwaii lodges don't catch many Fraser fish why the restrictions in 2018 and commercial trollers restricted till Aug 20? How do these Fraser chinooks get down here ?

With the crazy small effect commercial trollers have on Fraser fish, their May fishery up there shouldn't of been restricted. It's because they have to do that to restrict FN rivers fisheries and to appease ENGO's and FN in general, believe many have already mentioned that on here.

I believe those restrictions were to “protect” the Skeena runs.
They were to protect or pass through an additional 10,000 Fraser Chinook to the river. That will ensure FSC needs are more than met. Area F Troll does have a higher interception of Fraser stocks than most domestic fisheries. In addition to that, the re-forecast numbers of Fraser Chinook show more abundant returns than originally forecast. Hopefully the ENGO's don't spin fables about where all these fish came from...I can see it now. Fishing restrictions worked, an additional 40,000 Chinook made it to the Fraser. And just in case anyone thinks we forgot about the starving killer whales...there is food a-plenty:

2019 New Forecast:

Fraser Early - 138,333 (2019 forecast), which is 163.95% larger than 2018 observed (84,373)

Fraser Late - 126,343 (2019 forecast), which is 155.21% larger than 2018 observed (81,399)

The 2019 forecast returning chinook to Fraser and Puget Sound (food available to SRKW) = 571,816 Chinook

Caloric Intake requirements for SRKW are per Noren (2010):

16,386 Kcal/Chinook
82 SRKW (yes I'm over-estimating the population) caloric requirements are 792 to 951 Chinook/day
SRKW are present approximately 150 days
Taking the high end of the estimated Chinook as prey requirement to sustain 82 SKRW range here's the calculation:

951 Chinook x 150 days = 142,500 Chinook required to meet caloric intake requirement to sustain SRKW

That is 25% of the entire 571,816 Chinook that will be swimming around within the key SRKW forage areas....so if SRKW are "starving" they must be pretty darn poor hunters...or is it there are way too many vessels in close proximity preventing SRKW from finding their prey?

They were to protect or pass through an additional 10,000 Fraser Chinook to the river. That will ensure FSC needs are more than met. Area F Troll does have a higher interception of Fraser stocks than most domestic fisheries. In addition to that, the re-forecast numbers of Fraser Chinook show more abundant returns than originally forecast. Hopefully the ENGO's don't spin fables about where all these fish came from...I can see it now. Fishing restrictions worked, an additional 40,000 Chinook made it to the Fraser. And just in case anyone thinks we forgot about the starving killer whales...there is food a-plenty:

2019 New Forecast:

Fraser Early - 138,333 (2019 forecast), which is 163.95% larger than 2018 observed (84,373)

Fraser Late - 126,343 (2019 forecast), which is 155.21% larger than 2018 observed (81,399)

The 2019 forecast returning chinook to Fraser and Puget Sound (food available to SRKW) = 571,816 Chinook

16,386 Kcal/Chinook
82 SRKW (yes I'm over-estimating the population) caloric requirements are 792 to 951 Chinook/day
Taking the high end of the estimated Chinook as prey requirement to sustain 82 SKRW range here's the calculation:

951 Chinook x 150 days = 142,500 Chinook required to meet caloric intake requirement to sustain SRKW

That is 25% of the entire 571,816 Chinook that will be swimming around within the key SRKW forage areas....so if SRKW are "starving" they must be pretty darn poor hunters...or is it there are way too many vessels in close proximity preventing SRKW from finding their prey?

I suspect those forecast include those that don’t make it to the river...so SRKW are already fed in that forecast!

Edit: fishing should be good this summer...

I suspect those forecast include those that don’t make it to the river...so SRKW are already fed in that forecast!

Edit: fishing should be good this summer...

120,000-150k less fish taken commercially on coast coming by us give or Take too with the commercial closure till aug 20.

2019 New Forecast:

16,386 Kcal/Chinook

This is great news but are these numbers from the age 4 and age 5 chinook because if they include 3 year olds then your calculations would be out.

Were the Haida Gwaii restrictions by Langara not specifically for Skeena and Nass fish? I was fairly sure they were...like Ringo said...or was I misinformed?

Back