The Official No Fishing Vent Thread

In what way is catch and release better than retaining 1 hatchery only? If you have to let the spawners go (to be netted) why not have a hatchery for dinner. Most of the hatchery fish are here because of us anglers and guys like @profisher and the 1000’s that donate to net pens. There’s little to no motivation for us and him to keep putting in the effort just to have the hard earned results taken away.
I also think 30 fish per person per year is heavy. 15 seems more reasonable and if a salmon stamp cost $50 instead of the pocket change it is now they could put more into enhancement. (or bullets for seals)

Seems like you missed the part where they said by reduced annual limits from 30 to 10.

I saw that. I think keeping hatchery for the next 3 months and going to 15 is fair. A total hack of all fishing and 10 limit is a slap in the face.

What a **** show......fishing is not bad in local waters right now; and from what has been seen there has been quite a few clipped fish. Why not allow retention for fish bound for the state that annnounced a MASSIVE amount of funding for salmon?

Shaking my head as nets will be out in the next 30 days on the Fraser but the media AND ALL will turn a blind eye.

What is "ceremonial"? Believe me I can get a food fishery if THEY are going to use it but for ceremony....is it ground up and smoked like peyote?

They whack sea otters in Kyuquot for "ceremonial purposes"......

Sorry....bit of a sidetrack but when I see ceremonial and food fisheries expemtions it makes my skin crawl

I'd like to know see how these "extremists" would react if someone took away their means of living and hobbies.

They smoke dope so they were just handed a great victory by the puppet master himself,, just hold on more to come.

I disagree about dialling back political rhetoric, I think that’s what got us here. The politicians have had total control of the fishery for over a century and quite frankly they screwed it. They controlled both the Commercial and Public fishery allowable catch and now we hear the problem was overfishing, so other than poachers, they failed to maintain sustainable limits. People fishing within the rules they promulgated should never have been a problem

They controlled the regulations and permits for mining and logging near the rivers and now we hear destruction of habitat is a major problem because they failed to maintain oversight or assess the environmental factors accurately.

They failed to listen to their Scientists (and many others)and apparently the citizen advisory groups they formed. While We can’t hang it all on the new Minister, there are a lot of his managers and advisors that have had a career with DFO and apparently saw nothing coming until the ENGO’s pointed it out to them and by then it was so bad it required these draconian measures.

It’s become clear to me that dialling back is taken by politicians to mean you really don’t care and are willing to accept restrictions proposed by other special interest groups. It also means that you can be ignored and that’s exactly what has happened to the Public Fishery, we have relatively no voice at the table even though we number 300 thousand. Meanwhile a relatively small group of ENGO’s have the politicians and medias ears and are controlling the game.

For what it’s worth I wrote the Prime Minister (whose grandfather was Fisheries Minister) as well as the current Minister! It may not do any good, but if anyone on here is naive enough to think the ENGO’s are dialing back the political rhetoric or being quiet on issues important to them I’ve got a bridge I can sell you. The politicians follow the path of least resistance and for too many years that was us.

Ziggy-- you give too much credit to the politicians .. They can change with elections. But the one constant is the unseen bureaucrat in Vancouver and Ottawa that makes the decision for the minister. We should be doing like Alaska-- the Governor changes and his senior bureaucrats go with him.

Feel sorry for you guys... Seems the liberals and your NDP love to destroy economies. The NDP did it to Sask. and Alberta.... Thankfully Alberta was able to rid the pests from power here. They are doing it with oil and now they are doing it with fish.... Sad to see the businesses close, tourism slow, gas prices going up, cost of everything going up and they pull this BS. Unbelievable!

Feel sorry for you guys... Seems the liberals and your NDP love to destroy economies. The NDP did it to Sask. and Alberta.... Thankfully Alberta was able to rid the pests from power here. They are doing it with oil and now they are doing it with fish.... Sad to see the businesses close, tourism slow, gas prices going up, cost of everything going up and they pull this BS. Unbelievable!
The Federal Government who controls these decisions is Liberal not NDP. Past Conservative governments are just as much to blame for their lack of action, when they knew certain stocks were in trouble. Keep kicking the can down the road until someone picks it up. Well Wilkinson and JT not only picked it up, they hucked it into the bush, and we are left trying to figure out what the hell to do about it.

The Federal Government who controls these decisions is Liberal not NDP. Past Conservative governments are just as much to blame for their lack of action, when they knew certain stocks were in trouble. Keep kicking the can down the road until someone picks it up. Well Wilkinson and JT not only picked it up, they hucked it into the bush, and we are left trying to figure out what the hell to do about it.

fish brain you sound like Voltair, congrats.

Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.Voltaire

If only our leaders would take this to heart....
This quote is about the wrong done by lack of action. It is about the things you could have done, or should have done, but did not do. While you may not have directly caused something to happen, your inaction allowed the situation to become worse.

Ziggy-- you give too much credit to the politicians .. They can change with elections. But the one constant is the unseen bureaucrat in Vancouver and Ottawa that makes the decision for the minister. We should be doing like Alaska-- the Governor changes and his senior bureaucrats go with him.
Wise beyond your years.

fish brain you sound like Voltair, congrats.

Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.Voltaire

If only our leaders would take this to heart....
This quote is about the wrong done by lack of action. It is about the things you could have done, or should have done, but did not do. While you may not have directly caused something to happen, your inaction allowed the situation to become worse.
Well said GLG. We should all get together in front of Wilkinson’s office in North Van and show our solidarity within our local angling communities and also give the general public a different perspective on the issue. It’s really not about meat in the freezer but rather a show of legal and peaceful public disobedience. We MUST examine our rights here before accepting this as a new “norm” and acting like a sheep going to the slaughter house.

Last edited:
Being from down south, It's not my place to comment on another country's political situation even as it will affect my vacation plans. However, from all I've read about the fishery up there (this will be my first year going) is it factual that fin clipped chinook are from the hatcheries down here? (I know the guys down here gripe about the all the fish being caught up there that they should get ;) Seems like an easy solution would have been "no retention of native fish, clipped hatchery fish only" Yes, it would have cut down the odds but at least we could have still tried right. After all that's the rules for Coho anyway, shouldn't have been to hard to implement.

In places like Nootka Sound you’ll see that about 40/50% of the vehicles at the launch are Washington State or other US state tags. So in fairness, many US fishers are getting US fish north of the border, and that’s ok......but let your buddies know Canadians aren’t taking all the US bound fish. You guys are getting plenty of them. And thanks for your hatchery programs. We appreciate them.

I’m struggling with this one? I’ve never seen this a announcement and regs haven’t changed yet. Usually they change regs first. Fish or not too fish? Can they charge you if it’s not in the Regs?

Apparently, until the new regs are signed off in Ottawa, Chinook limits remain 2 per day.
This from the local D.F.O. office. Expect it to change in the next couple of days

Every federal party and provincial party that has been in power has blood on their hands. Defunding the DFO, relaxing habitat protection laws, allowing open net pen fish farms, allowing habitat destruction in the Thompson and Nicolas valley's the list goes on and on and they are all responsible for some part of this mess. Wilkinson just threw the gas on it.

The fact that the best science project in the past 20 years to find out what the hell is happening to SOG/JDF fish came from a small not for profit, the pacific salmon foundation, is atrocious - https://marinesurvivalproject.com/

The fact that this expedition: https://vancouversun.com/news/local...mon-scientists-to-probe-ailing-pacific-stocks wasnt done 20 years ago is infuriating.

Last edited:
Sports fishing can’t be take Same approach with DFO anymore. Our reps, SFI, etc has to take a hardline approach from now on instead of the more “we are conservationists, let’s work together to find restrictions for us dfo” approach (not best wording but think you get what I mean). I’m not blaming this on reps/SFI, just saying it’s clear the approach we take does not work, period. Need to model how to deal with Dfo after ENGO’s because clearly their approach works. Much more aggressive, less giving approach.

Well, what else is infuriating is that we would not be in this current non-retention fiasco if we marked 100% of hatchery Chinook and only allowed hatchery retention in southern B.C. The funds to provide clipping machines to federal hatcheries have never been allocated. Canada seems to be able to fund the building of new frigates, icebreakers, purchase used F-18's to tide us over until a new fighter comes along, bring in thousands of refugees, donate $50 million to the Aga Khan, but not clipping machines for hatcheries. Unfortunately, the previous government was no better than the current one when it comes to funding hatcheries. If the liberal Government had purchased those clipping machines when first elected, we would be enjoying the return of taxpayer funded hatchery fin clipped fish this summer...

Oh I absolutely agree the office deadwood needs to be cleared out. Problem is that the public can’t fire the bureaucrats, only the Politicians can, so you have to put the pressure on them to take action. Many bureaucrats feel very safe because they been there forever, but after watching two of the most senior Provincial bureaucrats marched away, maybe it will give them cause to rethink their positions and feeling of invincibility. I'm sure Craig James and Gary Lenz have learned what power politicians actually have, regardless of the eventual outcome.

Much like a Ships Captain the Minister needs to bear responsibility for his crew.We as the people who hired him have to ensure that he does! I’d like to think the backlash from this is causing him to question the advice he has been getting, if not then he’s not much of a manager.

Back