Downrigger cable

You guy make me laugh i have run wire all my life and get many years out of it only reason it gets pooched you have to have good swivels on the end SAMPO with split rings as you have 2 wheels on different angles on a downrigger so it wants to twist ( just like a garden hose does). id use the same set up for that braid crap too, I tried braid once and blow back and **** looping over it self it lasted 1 week and threw it out. some say its easier to use i beg to differ I fish over 130 days a year for salmon and trust me thats alot of rigger work....

Used wire for years, been using braid for a few seasons now and have never had a single issue at all. Plus you dont get electrolysis from braid. Never go back to wire.

20 lb mono, 10 ounces of lead , sampo swivel, don't like wire or braid you guys try to run me over and push me off the spot :rolleyes:

UUMMMM electrolysis from wire ??? thats a new one never heard of that before.....

"The Black Box
The electricity generated in electrolysis puts a natural charge on your vessel. When using a downrigger, the reaction between your wire and your zinc anodes will normally generate about .8 volts (in saltwater). This positive charge on your downrigger wire has been known to attract fish. However, fish are extremely sensitive to changes in this charge. The Black Box is designed to regulate and monitor that charge through a metal contact sleeve over the downrigger wire. It also has a pulse mode which can be used to trigger strikes during slow times."

https://scotty.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Black-Box-Booklet.pdf

WRONG that is not electrolysis thats generated current
electrolysis is why we put zinc on a boat .06 of a volt is not going to do anything at all to your boat lol shorepower and bad ground will
here maybe read this
https://www.yandina.com/electrolysis.htm

UUMMM yes i used to commercial crab for a living and it was dissimilar metals . you have bare metal as in rebar and stainless steel and salt . thats why it corrodes if your going to educate me on something first know what you are talking about ok.
You really have no clue .
We are taking about downrigger cable not traps and there is no corrosion issues using cable ask any old time commercial fisherman they used OTHER metals to lower voltage current on a boat which is created one way.

UUMMM yes i used to commercial crab for a living and it was dissimilar metals . you have bare metal as in rebar and stainless steel and salt . thats why it corrodes if your going to educate me on something first know what you are talking about ok.
You really have no clue .
We are taking about downrigger cable not traps and there is no corrosion issues using cable ask any old time commercial fisherman they used OTHER metals to lower voltage current on a boat which is created one way.
Lol thats wonderful, i used to commercially troll sockeye and even with a wood boat we always grouded the lines back to an anode because of the charge put off from the stainless lines. Stainless wire, brass crimps and line stops, lead ball. Must be all imaginary. Unless you know of anyone using wire on their riggers with different hardware that is the setup.

totally prawn just saying thats all , I am agreeing with you and you guys would never use braid would you....

I really dont care what you use its a mute point now isnt it as fishing is done for on our coast and its gonna get worse before better. will only have a month to go after a spring now really so fish away and enjoy what we have

totally prawn just saying thats all , I am agreeing with you and you guys would never use braid would you....

I really dont care what you use its a mute point now isnt it as fishing is done for on our coast and its gonna get worse before better. will only have a month to go after a spring now really so fish away and enjoy what we have
All i use is braid now, works awesome. But yes our sport is being ripped away from the people that fund it and care about it and the whiney assholes that made it happen will now turn their back on the cause and band wagon on the next.

I’m not saying there is no truth to this electric current business but I know people put to much emphasis on it thats for sure. I was watching an episode of Nice Fish a while back and Gary had some guest on some old comercial fisherman. They went through the whole electrolysis issue, they had the meter out and the whole nine yards. Buddy drops the meter in next to the boat and gets a reading what ever it was next they drop it way back of the boat ( it was on a long cable ) they get the same reading 100’ back of the boat and they are like see, it goes a long ways back. That’s where I call bull ****. If this were true then how the heck would anybody catch fish on some of the busy fishing spots out there. Look at Sooke for instance, look at Otter Point, Secutary on busy days there’s 100 boats crammed on those points in close proximity to each other, crammed on each other man. Are you going tell me every one of those boats are tuned in, none have bad ground all are running black boxes. If electrical current is created from lines running through the water the fish would get electrocuted and float to the top on some of those points when it’s busy, like really. No one would be catching fish yet boats are constantly pulling fish out of the crowd of lines and boats. On top of all that we run plastic line through a plastic clip 25’ back from the cable that current will not travel through that line and again if the water was that charged from the cables no one would be catching fish in busy areas no one the fish would avoid those areas.

I’m not saying there is no truth to this electric current business but I know people put to much emphasis on it thats for sure. I was watching an episode of Nice Fish a while back and Gary had some guest on some old comercial fisherman. They went through the whole electrolysis issue, they had the meter out and the whole nine yards. Buddy drops the meter in next to the boat and gets a reading what ever it was next they drop it way back of the boat ( it was on a long cable ) they get the same reading 100’ back of the boat and they are like see, it goes a long ways back. That’s where I call bull ****. If this were true then how the heck would anybody catch fish on some of the busy fishing spots out there. Look at Sooke for instance, look at Otter Point, Secutary on busy days there’s 100 boats crammed on those points in close proximity to each other, crammed on each other man. Are you going tell me every one of those boats are tuned in, none have bad ground all are running black boxes. If electrical current is created from lines running through the water the fish would get electrocuted and float to the top on some of those points when it’s busy, like really. No one would be catching fish yet boats are constantly pulling fish out of the crowd of lines and boats. On top of all that we run plastic line through a plastic clip 25’ back from the cable that current will not travel through that line and again if the water was that charged from the cables no one would be catching fish in busy areas no one the fish would avoid those areas.

I know for fact it can negatively impact you fishing. I had an old lund years ago and one side of the boat caught salmon and the other side nothing but doggies. Swap the rod and gear around from side to side and same result. Hooked the black box up and tuned it and both sides caught salmon. So it can definitely hurt your odds but i wouldnt say you will have better odds then any other boat that fishes well. Thats the bonus of braid is you will not get the negarive effects as its non conductive and i have caught a ton of salmon on braid, 100+ fish days.

Back