What month will the Coho start showing up ?

i was getting them in early june in CR. so now it’s gonna be catch ( and injure ) 20 “wilds” to get my two hatchery fish. they should put a cap on coho as well and let us keep clipped fish. this way i’m done after two and not injuring dozens in the process

River boy, with all due respect of course, I would suggest looking up how to release a fish with a gaff. You'll never touch it, you wont net it, and she'll swim to see another day. I don't know how you release your fish but thats how I do it and I can guarantee the fish I let go are unharmed - mostly. Unless one swallows a chovy with a treble, but even then keep it in the water and carefully with pliers pull em out.

River boy, with all due respect of course, I would suggest looking up how to release a fish with a gaff. You'll never touch it, you wont net it, and she'll swim to see another day. I don't know how you release your fish but thats how I do it and I can guarantee the fish I let go are unharmed - mostly. Unless one swallows a chovy with a treble, but even then keep it in the water and carefully with pliers pull em out.

Your suggestions work well with chinook. In my experience where only clipped coho can be retained, your suggestions are not possible. Coho are crazy at the boat. When 1/10 fish are clipped, you don’t want to miss that fish.

I’ve met with multiple washington state division of fish and wildlife officers about “first two fish, no c/r”. Far fewer unclipped fish would be injured/killed.

i always use a gaff. but coho are suicidal and hit hooks so hard their eyes are normally done ; or gills etc. gaff won’t help them then. even using a gaff you need to be gentle

Last couple years coho have been showing up earlier and earlier in the Georgia Strait. When they open in June I think there should be good numbers. I see more damage to coho from single bar less than trebles, coho are nuts and like @RiverBoy said inhale hooks, swipe at them, get them through the eye etc. Some days we’re releasing 20 plus wilds to get a few hatch, that makes total sense when a good number of those released may die from injuries. Dfo again at there finest.

In the Strait of Juan de Fuca, there seems to be an early run that comes through in late June/Early July but then it dies down until at least late August. The early fish are generally dinks - 4-5 lbs. It's better to target them in late Aug or Sept-Oct when the size is better. With a quota that is based on numbers of fish instead of mass, I'd rather not harvest the little guys.

Back