2019 Pender Bluffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my New Years resolutions is to not let the travesty of what was done to Area 18 in 2018, with the total fin fish closure of the area, remain. The two fishing areas at Pender Bluffs and the East side of Moresby would be ideal areas to implement the 400 metre "bubble zone" which EVERYONE BUT DFO appears to fully support, including the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. Hoping that some sort of sanity prevails this year. Happy New Years to all.

One of my New Years resolutions is to not let the travesty of what was done to Area 18 in 2018, with the total fin fish closure of the area, remain. The two fishing areas at Pender Bluffs and the East side of Moresby would be ideal areas to implement the 400 metre "bubble zone" which EVERYONE BUT DFO appears to fully support, including the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. Hoping that some sort of sanity prevails this year. Happy New Years to all.
I’ve heard rumours that the bubble zone might be i effect. Time will tell!

Any ideas as to when we might hear of this closure or not?

What ********! Why the hell are areas being closed when the whales aren’t even there! I could live with a stop fishing and leave directive when whales are foraging in the area, but a blanket closure in a couple of small areas is total garbage and likely just a foot in the door manoeuvre.It’s not like the whales are at the Bluffs every day, so why a blanket closure? Is this the precedent public fishery can abide by, “closure just in case”?If you buy into this so called management tool because it doesn’t impact you, standby! You can rest assured it will keep expanding until the whole Strait is closed, after all if the whales don’t need to even be there! Think about it, they have to transit through a lot of fishing grounds to get to the Bluffs

What ********! Why the hell are areas being closed when the whales aren’t even there! I could live with a stop fishing and leave directive when whales are foraging in the area, but a blanket closure in a couple of small areas is total garbage and likely just a foot in the door manoeuvre.It’s not like the whales are at the Bluffs every day, so why a blanket closure? Is this the precedent public fishery can abide by, “closure just in case”?If you buy into this so called management tool because it doesn’t impact you, standby! You can rest assured it will keep expanding until the whole Strait is closed, after all if the whales don’t need to even be there! Think about it, they have to transit through a lot of fishing grounds to get to the Bluffs
Shhhh we don’t want them to shut down other areas too.....

The DFO clearly really doesn’t care about reality, logic, etc. The other “no-go” zone by Renfrew is right in a shipping lane... so no recreational boats allowed but still hundreds of heavy freighters can travel through. Cause that makes any sense. There’s also areas in 18 that I’ve witnessed orcas actively feeding/foraging year after year that aren’t in these zones. If you’re expecting the DFO to make decisions based on reality you’ll be waiting a long time. It’s really sad but true.

The DFO clearly really doesn’t care about reality, logic, etc. The other “no-go” zone by Renfrew is right in a shipping lane... so no recreational boats allowed but still hundreds of heavy freighters can travel through. Cause that makes any sense. There’s also areas in 18 that I’ve witnessed orcas actively feeding/foraging year after year that aren’t in these zones. If you’re expecting the DFO to make decisions based on reality you’ll be waiting a long time. It’s really sad but true.
No I’m not waiting for them to make rational decisions. IMO they are just getting the ball rolling. These areas are the test ballon they are floating to see if the public will accept it. After a period of time they will be expanded, one area at a time until the South Coast is shut down, then they’ll shift targets to the North.
Closing off areas slowly ,a bit at a time, lowers the risk of major pushback and gradually eliminates public fishery and therefore fishers one area at a time. Oldest trick in the book, divide and conquer.

Hey there, since salmon to retain is out, can anyone tell me where and how to fish ling cod over here. Cheers and thanks!’

“99”

Hey there, since salmon to retain is out, can anyone tell me where and how to fish ling cod over here. Cheers and thanks!’

“99”
Lingcod open may 1, there’s some good spots in Active Pass on the Mayne side but that will disappear if they shut down the whole area to all fin fish June 1 like they did last year. Then it gets pretty sparse after that and I ain’t giving up my spots ;) As for how, drop a herring down to the bottom, reel up 5-10 cranks and keep your rod active. Be prepared to snag a lot and lose gear until you get the hang of it and know the reefs etc.

Anyone have any luck with prawning in the southern GI, like near Mayne Island? See lots of posts about Poirier, Tent Isl, Gabriola, Thrasher, etc but nothing near where I am. Trying to get into it... I think I got the depth & trap set-up dialled in, but wondering is it worth trying the outside (in the straight) which is closer to where I'm at, or are the inside waters better? Thanks,

Good prawning to be had inside and outside. Currents can be very strong, more so inside, so you're best to do shorter soaks on tide(current) changes. Watch your glass sponge areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back