What's for dinner tonight ?

Every now and then I screw up just a little bit, but that often turns around to be actually rather damn good!
In this case, I took a section of last fall's Blacktail Backstrap out of the freezer, prepped a great marinade, and settled the meat into it.
Went to put it in the fridge, and realized I already had steaks ready to go for that eve.
And of course the next night was my birthday session of the Port Alberni Diner's Club,.
So, the backstrap sat in the marinade for two full days, stirring to ensure full coverage from time to time.

Last night it was up. Looked great right from the start:

WULb2CY.jpg

A quick sear then a low & slow cook on the BarBee:

BSSn9Lv.jpg

Perfection:

tKJHMGH.jpg
\

And Presentation:

Nlp1uv5.jpg

Served with corn on the cob, an excellent Asiago & fresh Cracked Pepper rice.
Tenderest Blacktail we have had all year, you could literally cut it with your fork!
The wine was a very good Malbec from Argentina that more resembled a Shiraz to me, but was an excellent compliment to the meal overall.

Sometimes folks ask me why I hunt.
This is but one of hundreds of my answers...

Cheers,
Nog

Every now and then I screw up just a little bit, but that often turns around to be actually rather damn good!
In this case, I took a section of last fall's Blacktail Backstrap out of the freezer, prepped a great marinade, and settled the meat into it.
Went to put it in the fridge, and realized I already had steaks ready to go for that eve.
And of course the next night was my birthday session of the Port Alberni Diner's Club,.
So, the backstrap sat in the marinade for two full days, stirring to ensure full coverage from time to time.

Last night it was up. Looked great right from the start:

WULb2CY.jpg

A quick sear then a low & slow cook on the BarBee:

BSSn9Lv.jpg

Perfection:

tKJHMGH.jpg
\

And Presentation:

Nlp1uv5.jpg

Served with corn on the cob, an excellent Asiago & fresh Cracked Pepper rice.
Tenderest Blacktail we have had all year, you could literally cut it with your fork!
The wine was a very good Malbec from Argentina that more resembled a Shiraz to me, but was an excellent compliment to the meal overall.

Sometimes folks ask me why I hunt.
This is but one of hundreds of my answers...

Cheers,
Nog
Looks delicious! Also really respect that wine pour. Somebody had a buzz after dinner ;)

Whitetail Dry Doe - Sirloin Tip Roast. On the Barbee of course:

Marinating:

Lwk8JDE.jpg

Cookin':

wDarwhr.jpg

Sliced & Diced:

nqtdY8s.jpg

Melt in your mouth Delicious! Had a Caesar Salad, pasta and a great Shiraz to round it out.

Cheers - Nog
What is that antler tool thing????

standing rib severed from the bone added rub smoked bacon and retied with bacon underneeth the trim .smoked BBQ style.wacth other burn down there porch.:)PICT0099.JPG

Awesome food folks, just wondering where all the ENGO's are, i mean this is why we fish and hunt and forage, to put some fine table fare on the table and enjoy what nature has to offer!!!!

Back