Moose sirloin, Squish and Cheddar Chipolte Pasta

WOWihDi.jpg

gkCLvAk.jpg

A fine Shiraz goes well...

Cheers,
Nog

All raw. Nothing cooked. No rice. All seafood caught by yours truly
1f642.png
Albacore Tuna, Marble Spring Salmon, Spot Prawns Sashimi and Nori cones filled with Albacore Tuna, Marble Spring, Coonstripe Shrimp, mayo, chives, avocado, and a couple drops of Sriracha sauce. Served with sushi/sashimi soy sauce, wasabi, non dyed ginger, and some fresh lemon wedges. One pound of protein! Ate every last bit lol
2019-04-12 18.55.54.jpg
2019-04-12 19.24.32.jpg

All raw. Nothing cooked. No rice. All seafood caught by yours truly
1f642.png
Albacore Tuna, Marble Spring Salmon, Spot Prawns Sashimi and Nori cones filled with Albacore Tuna, Marble Spring, Coonstripe Shrimp, mayo, chives, avocado, and a couple drops of Sriracha sauce. Served with sushi/sashimi soy sauce, wasabi, non dyed ginger, and some fresh lemon wedges. One pound of protein! Ate every last bit lol
View attachment 44978
View attachment 44979
What method do you use to kill off the bacteria in the salmon? I know some guys just toss it in the freezer for a week but I don't know I get iffy about it. I have a whole sockeye in the freezer that I did with dry ice over it in a cooler for 24 hours, I'm still nervous to buck it up :(

Sockeye will be fine after that long in the freezer. We do it every month or so. (probably not for young kids).
Parasites and tapeworms are scarier than bacteria. They're dead now so they don't have much taste.

What method do you use to kill off the bacteria in the salmon? I know some guys just toss it in the freezer for a week but I don't know I get iffy about it. I have a whole sockeye in the freezer that I did with dry ice over it in a cooler for 24 hours, I'm still nervous to buck it up :(
Freezing will kill parasites. Things like Salmonella (bacteria) is very very rare to occur in salmon, tuna, fish because it lives in the intestines of animals. Like chickens is much more common. It would take the spreading of it from the intestines (if the fish even had it in the first place) onto another location then onto the meat you are eating. I've been eating raw fish, prawns, oysters, etc straight from the ocean since I was a small child. Never been sick knock on wood but when we do so we are always very careful when we clean sea food. If you are ever gonna get contamination it is most likely it would occur then. Never heard of a Listeria (bacteria) affecting any seafood caught straight from the sea then consumed out here.

Should add... This is a reason I don't let newbies clean/gut fish on my boats.:) I make sure I show them the proper way to without disrupting any of the organs while doing so. Same goes for when I used to hunt game. Always making sure never to disrupt the organs when gutting out.

Freezing will kill parasites. Things like Salmonella (bacteria) is very very rare to occur in salmon, tuna, fish because it lives in the intestines of animals. Like chickens is much more common. It would take the spreading of it from the intestines (if the fish even had it in the first place) onto another location then onto the meat you are eating. I've been eating raw fish, prawns, oysters, etc straight from the ocean since I was a small child. Never been sick knock on wood but when we do so we are always very careful when we clean sea food. If you are ever gonna get contamination it is most likely it would occur then.
I keep hearing the same things from a lot of guys but then everything I read is contrary to that. It sucks because I don't mind eating it myself but get really anxious about serving it to others. I think I'm covered with the dry ice thing based on the temps that are recommended.

Should add... This is a reason I don't let newbies clean/gut fish on my boats :rolleyes:
What do you do while cleaning and filleting specifically that gives you peace of mind?

The sockeye that I froze I just gutted it on board and put it on the dry ice immediately. Then threw 10 other sockeye on top of it (not gutted). Got home hours later and threw it straight under the ice with towels between. I left it whole to avoid having the meat get contaminated by touching things. After 24 hours I vac packed the whole fish. I figured I'd defrost it and portion it but discarding anything that could have been exposed to contaminants. Maybe I'm way over thinking this.

I keep hearing the same things from a lot of guys but then everything I read is contrary to that. It sucks because I don't mind eating it myself but get really anxious about serving it to others. I think I'm covered with the dry ice thing based on the temps that are recommended.
Can you put up an http link to what you are reading that is contrary to what I wrote about parasites and bacteria?

What do you do while cleaning and filleting specifically that gives you peace of mind?

The sockeye that I froze I just gutted it on board and put it on the dry ice immediately. Then threw 10 other sockeye on top of it (not gutted). Got home hours later and threw it straight under the ice with towels between. I left it whole to avoid having the meat get contaminated by touching things. After 24 hours I vac packed the whole fish. I figured I'd defrost it and portion it but discarding anything that could have been exposed to contaminants. Maybe I'm way over thinking this.
I'd be very cautious and concerned about freezing whole fish if it isn't blast frozen immediately with a commercial blast freezer. I've seen first hand how some native commercial fishermen were freezing whole salmon a few years ago on a reserve and what those fish looked like when they thawed them out. The guts over time start to leach into the meat of the fish. When thawed completely the fibers of the meat were separating and discolored from gut leach. Those fish were all just in regular type of deep freezers. I personally couldn't believe they were gonna eat the fish but they were going to their big smoke house on the reservation so maybe after smoking and cooking it will kill everything of concern. I don't know.

When I fillet I never break any organ tissue at all. After slitting the fish open without putting your knife too far in to avoid puncturing organs, cut up ahead and under the gills where the digestive tube is attached. Put your fingers under the now release cut part. Grasp it all tightly and pull all the guts out in one smooth motion to the back end of the fish. If you do it right every thing will come out in one big mass. Learned it long time ago from commercial fishermen. You can even get the Swim Bladder at the same time as it is attached and will pull away from the Kidneys. Only thing you will be left with to spoon out is the Kidney's. I've heard people calling the Kidney's the "blood line".. No the Kidney's are the dark red/black stuff you have to remove with a spoon. Salmon have two Kidney's. I don't think there is anything dangerous there cause if so people all over the world would be contaminating things by removing the Kidney's. Don't slice the inner meat while doing any of this and you should be fine. Clean it well and freeze it. If you are good at this stuff after awhile you can actually fillet the salmon while the fish is whole and don't even touch the guts at all. Leave all the guts attached to the fish head and internal cavity while only filleting the side meat fillets off the rest of the carcass. But that's a whole different way of doing it. Might be vids on Youtube showing that method but if not careful you can slice into organs doing it that way but it is the fastest way by far to fillet.

From the BCCDC website

How is that contradictory to what I wrote? Yes freezing will kill the parasites, but not bacteria. That is what I posted above. Set your freezer as cold as it will go.

Safe food handling is the way to avoid bacteria contamination. Parasites and Bacteria= not the same thing.

How is that contradictory to what I wrote? Yes freezing will kill the parasites, but not bacteria. That is what I posted above. Set your freezer as cold as it will go.

Safe food handling is the way to avoid bacteria contamination. Parasites and Bacteria= not the same thing.
Oh yeah I totally agree and understand. I think said bacteria when I meant parasites. Hilarious considering I just took my damn food safe course lol. The issue is the temperatures. Home freezers, apparently, don't reach those temps or don't hold them consistently enough to be considered safe. Some say theirs do. That's why I went to the dry ice. I'm not trying to prove you wrong I'm trying to relieve my own anxiety.

Oh yeah I totally agree and understand. I think said bacteria when I meant parasites. Hilarious considering I just took my damn food safe course lol. The issue is the temperatures. Home freezers, apparently, don't reach those temps or don't hold them consistently enough to be considered safe. Some say theirs do. That's why I went to the dry ice. I'm not trying to prove you wrong I'm trying to relieve my own anxiety.
Oh ya I hear ya man. I did read somewhere though that even if your freezer goes only to zero degrees that you just need to freeze for longer period of time to kill parasites. I'll try to find that info in a bit here.

Oh ya I hear ya man. I did read somewhere though that even if your freezer goes only to zero degrees that you just need to freeze for longer period of time to kill parasites. I'll try to find that info in a bit here.
Cool. I remember the first time I made lox I went and puked it all out immediately after because I just didn't trust it. I just need to get over it I think. Didnt grow up doing this or learning from people so I rely on the stuoid internets which makes you think the GD sky is falling. :rolleyes:

Cool. I remember the first time I made lox I went and puked it all out immediately after because I just didn't trust it. I just need to get over it I think. Didnt grow up doing this or learning from people so I rely on the stuoid internets which makes you think the GD sky is falling. :rolleyes:
Lol ya I know what you mean. A lot of people are worried about eating raw seafood. If you look at how many sushi restaurants are in Vancouver alone you would think that if it was dangerous you would hear about something at least once and awhile going wrong but it is very very rare. All restaurants can have clean handling issues but the fact about getting parasites or bacteria infection from the common seafoods we eat just doesn't happen much at all. And if you catch and make your own you're even more in control of the situation.

I eat sushi, sashimi, lox etc pretty much at least once a week but a lot of times more than that. Had it three times this week but in different forms. It's one of my staples for foods I eat. I eat a high protein, medium fat, low carb diet so I need **** loads of seafood around all the time :)

Burger night Home ground beef short rib. Two patties (3/4 pound
1f642.png
:) ) with aged white cheddar and Monterey jack cheeses, hickory smoked bacon, sauteed mushrooms, Campari sweet tomatoes, Romaine lettuce and wild garlic aioli barbecue sauce. OMG soooo good. I'll be using straight short rib meat to grind for burgers again. Just enough fat and just the right leanness with lot's of flavor.

20190414_171559.jpg
20190414_172509.jpg
20190414_191502.jpg

Back