2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out to the bell yesterday from 7:30-10, one hit at 9ish that was a 9# keeper. Hit Roger Curtis 10:30-1, one hit at 11:45ish that was also a 9# keeper. Both were at 107' & 110' respectively and caught on anchovie at the Bell and spoon at Roger Curtis. 160 spotties and 6 crabs to round off the day. Glorious weather and calm water made for an absolutely incredible day.

Nice day on the water yesterday. Wind came up for a while around mid day but settled down in the afternoon. Managed a keeper (~8lbs) near Tunstall but it was fairly quiet overall. Several pockets of bait around that we worked thoroughly but just the one fish on a spoon at 100’. I’m pretty sure crabbing was very good ... at least for the person who emptied my traps. Traps were sitting in different spots when we arrived back to retrieve them. Both traps properly weighted & in an area I crab in frequently. Bait was gone (heavily baited traps) & had 2 very small crabs in them. Normally they come up loaded. I had a good run with my traps not being pilfered so I guess it was my turn. Great day on the water otherwise. Good luck out there.

Anybody out on the water right now and can provide a weather/wind report?

Environment Canada is saying there is a Gale warning in effect.
https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=14305
ya it was rough & wet. 5 undersize couple smalls got off. south & west bowen. No keepers, lots of bait, presume they were hearing but no keepers to tell me. coyote & skiny g's were both working, 130-160 feet on rigger. water depth was everywere mostly in the mud.

Last edited:
They look like coon stripe prawns. They're OK but nowhere near as good as spot prawns.

More and more coon stripe prawns these days. I went almost 1:1 with spot prawns last time I was out. Plus 3 octopuses, which I assume were snacking on the prawns. Maybe they prefer spot prawns too :p

I usually get coon stripes on a muddy bottom in shallow water. Traps come up with a bunch of mud on them.

Attachments

• IMG_9676.jpg
    IMG_9676.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 143
What are those other orawns beside the spotted ones ?
Yes they are Coonstripes. My daughters like them better than the Spot Prawns cause they are smaller and fit better in our garlic cheese bake pottery dishes. I like them both the Spots and Coonstripes but the Spot Prawns are sweeter than the Coonstripes. I also got some Humpback shrimp too in the mix but not very many.
Ya where I'm prawning it goes from mud to rock bottom so there's a mix of the species there. When I wanna get more Spots than the shrimp I can just move my traps up a little more north where it's all rocks and all Spot Prawns. I was shocked this time out of the amount of small Red Rock crab that were going in the traps in 300' of water. I've got the odd ones before but I'm talking between 10 to 20 in the traps at times. Made for more work cause I had to pull the traps more often getting rid of the RR crab from the traps. Puts a kink in the prawning but even with that said the numbers of prawns and shrimp were great and I gotta say the Red Rock crab I kept from another area were large and so so sweet tasting. Better than any Dungie I've had yet. I'll be targeting them more in that area from now on over the Dungies. Harder shells but nothing a cracker tool doesn't take care of.

Yes they are Coonstripes. My daughters like them better than the Spot Prawns cause they are smaller and fit better in our garlic cheese bake pottery dishes. I like them both the Spots and Coonstripes but the Spot Prawns are sweeter than the Coonstripes. I also got some Humpback shrimp too in the mix but not very many.
Ya where I'm prawning it goes from mud to rock bottom so there's a mix of the species there. When I wanna get more Spots than the shrimp I can just move my traps up a little more north where it's all rocks and all Spot Prawns. I was shocked this time out of the amount of small Red Rock crab that were going in the traps in 300' of water. I've got the odd ones before but I'm talking between 10 to 20 in the traps at times. Made for more work cause I had to pull the traps more often getting rid of the RR crab from the traps. Puts a kink in the prawning but even with that said the numbers of prawns and shrimp were great and I gotta say the Red Rock crab I kept from another area were large and so so sweet tasting. Better than any Dungie I've had yet. I'll be targeting them more in that area from now on over the Dungies. Harder shells but nothing a cracker tool doesn't take care of.
Personal tastes are funny. To my palate, the coonstripes are sweeter than the spots. I really like them as ebi sashimi - fresh out of the shell. I keep soy sauce and a tube of wasabi on the boat and we always have a few with a rum back at the dock as we’re beheading.

Personal tastes are funny. To my palate, the coonstripes are sweeter than the spots. I really like them as ebi sashimi - fresh out of the shell. I keep soy sauce and a tube of wasabi on the boat and we always have a few with a rum back at the dock as we’re beheading.
With all the doom and gloom, I think it’s imortant we remember, and be thankful for, the good fortune we have to live here and enjoy these sorts of things. We’re going to take a haircut on limits and accessibility, but as long as we can still go out and fish, at least a bit, I still will.

I would say it's a type of lingcod but haven't seen that one...

Incredible what comes up from time to time. I once pulled up what I can only describe as a mini dragon/sea serpent. This was long before smart phones and digital cameras. The thing was not happy and hissed at me before sending it back in!

I agree DP. Personal tastes for sure differ. I too like you eat the prawns and shrimp fresh sashimi right out of the ocean. They are so good. And I make homemade sushi and sashimi at home as well with maki rolls etc.. And my palate prefers whisky over rum lol but hey they are both good :) P.S. I hope you are keeping your prawn heads for bait ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back