Clear Vinyl Clean and Care

walleyes

Crew Member
Just had the clear vinyl all redone on my boat now looking for some input as to the care and cleaning of the product. My new to me boat has quite large canvas and vinyl windows and with the $700.00 tab I just paid to get them redone I would like to take good care of them. What’s best to clean the clear vinyl with so it’s not smeared, streaked and water repels well.

Thx.

I'm surprised the business that did the work for you did not recommend what products to use for the type of clear vinyl they used.

They had a suggestion for the canvas but not the plastic. They aren’t a specialty shop or anything just a local upholstery shop that does a few a year.

ab 1752 am I missing something but the link you sent me is to the vinyl itself isn’t it which it’s kind of late for that as mine is replaced already.

I just did a little google search of this not long ago. There are various ways and products that you can use, but just because its on the internet doesn't mean you should do it. In the end I went with simplicity.
As hot as you can stand water, clean soft cloth. Elbow grease inside and out. Another soft cloth preferably micro fleece for drying. You must dry it, don't let it air dry. I believe that is key. Mine turned out pretty good considering they are over 10 yrs old.

Believe it or not, a friend of mine told me he always uses Lemon Pledge on his vinyl. His boat was 15 years old at the time and the vinyl looked new. I use it on mine and it works nicely. Cleans and seems to leave a protective film that is perfectly clear.

Believe it or not, a friend of mine told me he always uses Lemon Pledge on his vinyl. His boat was 15 years old at the time and the vinyl looked new. I use it on mine and it works nicely. Cleans and seems to leave a protective film that is perfectly clear.
Interesting.....I have always used Lemon Pledge on other plastics like on my quads and sleds and it works awesome. It is a wax after all so it should be good. I never considered it for clear vinyl though....might have to give it go!

I’ve heard of using Pledge as well, my concern would be if it would harm the plastic after time.,

Plexus plastic polish/cleaner and scratch filler. Used this product for years, better than anything else I have tried even the pledge trick...buy this you won’t be sorry. A little expensive but once in the spring and once in the fall keeps my windows bright and shinny with no yellowing. Product used on aircraft windows, motorcycle windjammers/helmets, boats, your expensive plastic glasses, etc. Can be hard to find but now can be bought on amazon, at airport hangers, motorcycle shops.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html

Don't use lemon pledge for crying out loud lol. It's the pledge multi surface cleaner that you want to use. I want to be clear here so someone reading this doesn't spray furniture wax on their windows.

Some good info so far Gentlemen thank you.

Will check the shop later and see exactly what it is I've been using for the last 12 years without any issue whatsoever

Just had the clear vinyl all redone on my boat now looking for some input as to the care and cleaning of the product. My new to me boat has quite large canvas and vinyl windows and with the $700.00 tab I just paid to get them redone I would like to take good care of them. What’s best to clean the clear vinyl with so it’s not smeared, streaked and water repels well.

Thx.
Aerospace 303

https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Aerospace-Protectant-Furniture/dp/B000XBCURW

Used it for years and it protects your top as well. It will also fill in minor scratching. That's what they used at my the shop I had mine done at.

I have used plexus in large quantities in the high tech solar manufacturing industry. Its expensive and it doesn't do as good job on softer plastics. Fantastic on rigid plastics. That's why they work great on motorcycle visors etc.

Last edited:
Further to the Pledge, I know guys use it and I was tempted but in my google search for cleaners I also found postings of what happens with long term use of Pledge. Not good. Use it if you like but it seems to be a gamble. Maybe it depends on the plastic make up of the curtain?
Fishtofino, how did the vinegar and water work out for you? I was going to try that as it is a go to cleaner for me but felt I would try the hot water method first.

Back