Call to Action – Help Save BC’s Public Fishery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't expect to receive a letter from the liberals till after the restriction are in place and then It will probably be a form letter about how awesome they are for protecting Chinook with conservation measures.

Nevertheless I'm pretty damn mad at the very sad state of our fisheries and the total lack of leadership and vision from our elected leaders. So much for the Liberals and Conservatives - the last 100 years of history shows that they don't give a rats butt about the west coast fisheries (just like on the east coast) other than what profits and political donations they get from large corporations and companies that use and abuse our fisheries. - Disgusted to say the least!!!

WITW, As we all know, this is nothing new. The saddest part of DFO is not the local lobbying done by other NGO's, its the absolute disdain with which Ottawa DFO management treats West Coast Fisheries. Nothing will ever change in Ottawa regardless of who is in power. The only solution to proper west coast fisheries management is to bring it back to the west coast. To have a National agency try to manage fisheries with such an extreme bias to commercial fisheries, no recognition of the contribution of the public fisheries, and a myopic focus on aboriginal title is to court extinction.

A provincial organization accountable to people in the province of B.C. where voter's passion to the public fishery and where their votes actually count, will be the only way that the public fishery will ever be recognized. Whether that is through a revolutionary change in DFO management, or through the revolution of Western separation, the solution is not likely to happen in our lifetime.....

Sad, but true. We need to start the movement to take over our fisheries in the west coast.

http://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/FOPO/meeting-128/evidence#Int-10457910

Mr. Mel Arnold (North Okanagan—Shuswap, CPC):
Thank you, Mr. Chair.
Mr. Andrew Thomson: In terms of landed value, I don't have the GDP figures off the top of my head but for comparison, the commercial fishery is about $398 million; the aquaculture industry in British Columbia is about $500 million on an annual basis, sometimes a little higher due to price; and the recreational fishery is generally estimated to be about $700 million on an annual basis.
Mr. Mel Arnold:
There's a significantly higher value in the recreational fishery.
Ms. Rebecca Reid: The value of the recreational fishery is a reflection of the spinoff benefits from not just the harvest of the fish but also the guiding operations and the other operations that accompany it, so when you look at the recreational fishery value, you need to consider those aspects as well
.Mr. Andrew Thomson: The vast majority of fish landed by poundage is through the commercial fishery. A fairly small amount of fish in total weight is landed by the recreational fishery, if that's the question you're asking.

Unbelievable, how they could leave a decision so important for so many right until the very last minute. If the government just casually slips some major closures into a simple amendment in the regs, that may be an all time low move. I would of thought there would have been a major press release of some sort.

Unbelievable, how they could leave a decision so important for so many right until the very last minute. If the government just casually slips some major closures into a simple amendment in the regs, that may be an all time low move. I would of thought there would have been a major press release of some sort.
We are seeing how important recreational fishermen are to our federal government way over in Ottawa.

Spoke to my MP's office today to one of her senior staffers. They have been communicating with the Fisheries Minister's senior staff. They are saying there still is no decision yet and are still reviewing things. I once again pushed for the Sport Fish Advisory Board proposal when I spoke with him. I also let them know that Liberal MPS would be in severe trouble in the next election with sport fisherman.

If you can keep the pressure on your MP!

I once again pushed for the Sport Fish Advisory Board proposal when I spoke with him.

Have I missed it somewhere? Do we outside the SFAB know what the proposal put forward is? Has the wording been publicized ?

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, I genuinely do not know ?

Have I missed it somewhere? Do we outside the SFAB know what the proposal put forward is? Has the wording been publicized ?

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, I genuinely do not know ?

There was a proposal from the SFAB submitted, I know there was some area specific option C stuff. I personally have not seen the wording for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back