Elk lake seagulls?

habberdasher

Does anyone know why there is always a flock of seagulls in the middle of Elk Lake I trolled near them and they looked like they might be batheing and not eating I have noticed them for years and they are always there???

Could be a roosting site. Cultus Lake has an estimated population of 10,000 over wintering gulls that spend the evening in relative safety on the lake. Think of the nutrients added from November to March from 10k gulls that have gorged on rotten salmon or foraged at the local dump.

Could be a roosting site. Cultus Lake has an estimated population of 10,000 over wintering gulls that spend the evening in relative safety on the lake. Think of the nutrients added from November to March from 10k gulls that have gorged on rotten salmon or foraged at the local dump.
Thanks Dave maybe they come from Hartland dump?

I have heard there’s an underwater spring below where those seagulls hang out. I have no facts to back that up, just hearsay dating back to the 1970’s. But I’ve heard that a few times.

I was told years ago that elk lake is spring fed with water that comes from the olympic mountains. Not sure if that is a fact but the spring is where the seagulls are at. Good from the bottom gets pushed up.

I was told years ago that elk lake is spring fed with water that comes from the olympic mountains. Not sure if that is a fact but the spring is where the seagulls are at. Good from the bottom gets pushed up.

This is the same story I heard, Rob. I heard they dumped dye in some water body in the Olympic mountains and it came up in Elk lake. It sounds like a war story to me but who knows.

This is the same story I heard, Rob. I heard they dumped dye in some water body in the Olympic mountains and it came up in Elk lake. It sounds like a war story to me but who knows.
Thats pretty cool/random if thats the case.

Thanks everyone I have been wondering for a long lifetime last time out I got a couple of nice trout not too far from the seagulls maybe the spring creates oxygen and/or food?

The dye thing is also what I had heard. Fishing can be great over that spot. I fish elk often in the spring and fall.

A similar story is what I heard from Malcolm Island (Sointula) - that the island has freshwater springs that originate in the coastal mountains many miles away. The world is a strange place, so I'm not discounting this theory

Agreed, whenever I am fishing Elk I follow them around.

A-10390-1293634465.jpeg.jpg

Explain why you would say that prawnhunter. What facts do you have?
Well ive heard some hair brained sh^t in my day but this one takes the cake. How do you figure that freahwater which floats ontop of salt water due to being less dense, manages to cross the Salish sea at over 490' deep not to mention fault lines in there too and find its way back to the surface in elk lake without following a single void or crack in the ground to the surface along the way? Also the amount of hydrolic load that would take is unimaginable.

View attachment 44916 Having fun with my observation that there is always a flock of seagulls in the same place since I was a little boy. I am going to fish it this afternoon before the Island outfitters derby this weekend.All ready to go in my 60 year old boat that was built when I was ten
I too have seen the birds there since I was a boy, over 50 yrs ago.
Heard all of the theories, sticking with the plausibility of natural springs or aquifers. Always birds there. There was a top line fellow named Gordon Richards who used to catch monster bass every year around that spot. His biggest I believe was around 9 lbs!!

A couple of big bass caught yesterday over 7 lbs!!
At the Outfitters derby.
So would those be females in pre spawn mode?

I too have seen the birds there since I was a boy, over 50 yrs ago.
Heard all of the theories, sticking with the plausibility of natural springs or aquifers. Always birds there. There was a top line fellow named Gordon Richards who used to catch monster bass every year around that spot. His biggest I believe was around 9 lbs!!

A couple of big bass caught yesterday over 7 lbs!!
At the Outfitters derby.
So would those be females in pre spawn mode?

Gord Richards was a highliner when it came to lake fishing. He had a ton of info on lakes on the island as too when and where to fish. If you lucky enough to fish with him or get info out of him which was not easy. Unfortunately he passed a few years back.

Back