Fish Descender

pennel

Anybody know where I can buy a fish (rockfish) descender up here in Canada ( live on the island).
Also, are there any ones in particular that people would recommend?
Thanks

I have used the standard size Seaqualizer for a few years and really like it. Put it on a DR ball and have it at the ready, and it has little impact on your fishing time.

fb

You've basically got 3 options, pennet:
1/ Commercially-available hydrostatic releasers,
2/ Some form of weights and hooks - also available commercially or can make your self, and
3/ A weighted tote/milk crate with a rope - cheap and easy to make

The easiest to transport IMHO - is either the hook/weight or the hydrostatic releaser. The most common models are:
https://www.harbourchandler.ca/shop/fishing/rock-fish-descending-device/
https://www.harbourchandler.ca/shop/fishing/seaqualizer-fish-release/

Just about any fishing store or Canadian Tire should have stocks

Has anyone here used the milk crate as shown in this vid?:
Not sure exactly how they're doing it

Last edited:
I got my Seaqualizer free at the last boat show I went to,I think their about $60-$70 in stores.Just had to fill out a questionaire online,I can't remember for sure who it was PSF I think.

So I know it was stated by DFO at SFAC meetings that descending devices were mandatory. On new license it says highly recommended or something along those lines. So is it or is it not the law?

So I know it was stated by DFO at SFAC meetings that descending devices were mandatory. On new license it says highly recommended or something along those lines. So is it or is it not the law?
The way I read and interpret it, it is only recommended, therefore, not law

it was updated, Its a licence condition so if your fishing for anything where there IMO is a reasonable likelihood of catching a rockfish, you should have it on board.

Breaching a licence condition is an appearance notice, so I doubt a DFO officer would give you one probably just a warning.

I would phone your local DFO office and see how they are going to enforce it.

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=220071&ID=all

ROCKFISH DESCENDING DEVICES

The use of a descending device is now required by condition of licence to
assist in the conservation and survivability of rockfish being returned to the
water. Because of their closed swim bladders, rockfish brought to the surface
suffer barotrauma, causing the swim bladder to inflate and reducing the
probability of their survival upon release. Handle catch as little as possible,
using wet hands to preserve the protective slime coat, and return to the water
at depth of capture as quickly as possible (under two minutes). To avoid
catching rockfish, move to another fishing location.

Last edited:
So I know it was stated by DFO at SFAC meetings that descending devices were mandatory. On new license it says highly recommended or something along those lines.So is it or is it not the law?

they sent out a revision i believe the next day..stating it is .. so yes

Seaqualizer has them on their website for $59. I put a review on Amazon about their “deal”

As soon as the retailers find out that they are now required equipment, all of them will be at $150.00 or higher. Amazon may be a deal.

This was my cheap solution to a descending device. I fastened an extra piece of wire to my spreader bar weight. Any rockfish needing a ride back to the depths can catch a ride on the next time the gear goes down. The wire is poked thru the lip and down they go. Once at the bottom again I just real up a few feet so the wire pulls out and they are free to go. There is also no limitation on depth to be released with this method so if the came from 250ft that is where I put them back too. Very inexpensive!desending device 001.jpg

Back