2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
out bright and early today for first hali trip !!!! beauty day out there , over cast and currents good but a little too slow , 8 massive dogfish but just as my buddy wanted to go bang !!! massive hit rod bent over and stuck buried under water !!! 5min goes by and were both talking saying it is probably to big but will be great to see it !! all the sudden snap his line breaks and he almost threw the rod over his shoulder and off the boat- he s on the deck i ask if he s ok he says yes then we both **** our self s laughing !! was probably to big to keep but a great day on the water for sure ! Oak bay 400 feet octo !!

Wow 400' deep? I've gone out three times the past couple weeks without a nibble.. perhaps I'm too shallow @ 220'? I understand the hali are deep in the winter to spawn and get shallower throughout the summer?

Wow 400' deep? I've gone out three times the past couple weeks without a nibble.. perhaps I'm too shallow @ 220'? I understand the hali are deep in the winter to spawn and get shallower throughout the summer?
were no experts by any means but we just have better luck fishing deeper - but the crappy side is when you get into doggies its a bit of a work out lol

Duroboat - we always put a skirt or a big spoon in front of our octopus !! works for us give it a try - that s why i dont like it when theres not a lot of current, hard to attract them

With good tides and winds I gave it a try on Friday - waterfront and OBF today. Fished the morning each day. Only 2 shakers on Friday. Did not see any others catching.

Out Sunday from Fleming ramp 8-2. Parking lot was full but not many boats out front. Everyone must have been out hali fishing further out. The waterfront wa slow, one bite , one 5 lb. Saw couple other small fish caught.

I was also out Sunday from 8-2 off Esquimalt playing slolom through the crab traps. Worked the 90-120 contours between Saxe and Macauley points pretty hard but not a sniff. Turned for home to call it a day and thought I’ll try a little deeper. Boom, double header at the 140 contour plus the boat beside me went off too. 150 on the rigger. There seemed to be a school of them tight in a small area almost straight out from the launch on the Saxe Point side. Nothing too big, all around 3-4 pounds.

Last edited:
First halibut trip yesterday,kept a 27 and 34 and released a 15 or so in 2 hours.Encouraging start to the season in my new (to me) boat and on my birthday. No doggies where we were.
Happy Birthday Rayvon. I too share the March 16 B-day.
Went hali fishing with a friend who also has same B-day as we try to do every year if weather and tides work out. (he's got a couple years on me).
Popular B-day. We know a couple others with same and a friend text us while on the boat announcing the birth of his daughter that day.

We got 1 chicken and a few dogs.
Great way to spend a Birthday.

Out on this perfect afternoon from Albert Head ,Mcaulay point,Breakwater, Brochie Ledge, marked lots of bait and fish eating bait in all the right spots. Sent down the full assortment of glo skinny g's,herring aid's,couple AP's sand-lance, anchovie on my lucky teaser , hooked kelp, a crab trap and lost a ball. This was an epic day fishing & by far the best Day of the week. Next week I'm gonna put the hooks back on..... While I can.

Thanks Scott I hope to get out tomorrow for the first time in my boat since my new hip
Hey Habberdasher , Good luck today! Oak Bay has actually been quite slow , All the boats we talked to yesterday didn't even have a strike after a full shift. We had only one strike after 5 hours , likely it was a nice fish! The waterfront has been more consistent with lots of smaller fish.

beemer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back