SFBC's Offical 2018-2019 Hockey Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubtful the Canucks will be part of the lottery. You saw a different game than I did. The Flames clearly outplayed the Canucks in the first period. I call the second period even, and then the Canucks decided to turn it up in the last ten minutes of the third. They just don't look like a team hungry for the playoffs. I don't see a future for Virtanen with the Canucks. I just don't think he's a smart player. Markstrom played well, although he did let in a soft goal. Canucks were beat by Calgary's fourth line. Lots of work left to do in rebuilding the Canucks. You're not going far when your best scorer only has 64 points at this stage of the season.
Why no part of the draft lottery as the Canucks sitting in the 8th slot have a 8% opprtunity? As for the game the Canuck players available in my opinion did what they could with whatever skill they have. Sitting center ice 13 seats up gives a total different prospective how intense and skilled NHL players are. Small margin for error that's for sure. Virtanen, he made a poor decision, played well mostly but like you said not so sure he will ever figure it out what it takes. Absolutely lots of work left in the rebuild. JB and Green I think will have a year grace period and then the media and fans will force the owner to make a move.

Virtanen's whole career in junior and the NHL is about taking stupid penalties, and lazy plays. They shipped the wrong guy off to Florida when they traded for the human pylon Gubrandson. Should have been Virtanen instead of McCann (who is going to score over 20 goals this year) and actually looks like an NHL player. The team can't make bad draft decisions like Virtanen and Juelovi over guys like Ehlers and Keith Tkachuk and expect to be a top tier team.
JB in my opinion would have been crucified if he had traded Virtanen instead of McCann at that time. McCann may have now figured out that he is not so entitled and playing with a better organization and players he must be realizing what it takes. Unfortunately for Virtanen I sure hope he figures it out but from what you mentioned above I have my doubts. If Juelovi doesn't show next year that he is a top 4 defencemen JB's job in my opinion is big time on the line. Not taking Tkachuck looks real bad on JB right now. One draft mistake can be excused in some way but not two over his short duration.

JB in my opinion would have been crucified if he had traded Virtanen instead of McCann at that time. McCann may have now figured out that he is not so entitled and playing with a better organization and players he must be realizing what it takes. Unfortunately for Virtanen I sure hope he figures it out but from what you mentioned above I have my doubts. If Juelovi doesn't show next year that he is a top 4 defencemen JB's job in my opinion is big time on the line. Not taking Tkachuck looks real bad on JB right now. One draft mistake can be excused in some way but not two over his short duration.

The guy picked after McCann was David Pastrnak, so that could be considered a blunder too! So far Juolevi looks more like a Pouliot , and is the only one of the top 10 picks not to play in the NHL. From being a Canucks fan since 1970 "waiting til next year" is nothing new.

The guy picked after McCann was David Pastrnak, so that could be considered a blunder too! So far Juolevi looks more like a Pouliot , and is the only one of the top 10 picks not to play in the NHL. From being a Canucks fan since 1970 "waiting til next year" is nothing new.
Likewise for me California. 1970-71 Season tickets and there for opening night to see Barry Wilkens score the first ever Canucks goal. I wonder if this painful curse from the very first draft coin toss continues thru our lifetime.LOL. Talk about being sewered, the NHL placed the Canuckheads in the Eastern Division back in the day. Fingers crossed on Juolevi but seeing now only top 10 not to play in the NHL is a telling story. Management will not be able to spin their way out of this one without a consequence.

Likewise for me California. 1970-71 Season tickets and there for opening night to see Barry Wilkens score the first ever Canucks goal. I wonder if this painful curse from the very first draft coin toss continues thru our lifetime.LOL. Talk about being sewered, the NHL placed the Canuckheads in the Eastern Division back in the day. Fingers crossed on Juolevi but seeing now only top 10 not to play in the NHL is a telling story. Management will not be able to spin their way out of this one without a consequence.
The Canucks have only three players with 50 or more points. Their fourth place scorer only has 31 points. You need to have more offensive output than that if you want to be competitive in this league. As far as no lottery, only the bottom five teams get into the draft lottery. There are teams worse than Vancouver vying for those five spots.

The Canucks have only three players with 50 or more points. Their fourth place scorer only has 31 points. You need to have more offensive output than that if you want to be competitive in this league. As far as no lottery, only the bottom five teams get into the draft lottery. There are teams worse than Vancouver vying for those five spots.
I guess I am not familiar with how the 2019 draft lottery works. I was under the understanding 3 balls would be drawn with all non playoff teams eligible based on a specific % of how the finished in the standings. After the 3 winning teams have been drawn the rest of the draft order is decided based on the standings of the teams that were not drawn.

The lottery since 1995 has never been restricted to the worst 5 teams. For many years only pick number one was up for grabs, and teams couldn't move up more than 4 places. The odds for the last overall team were much higher as well. In 2015 they moved to top 3 spots for the lottery, all nonplayoff teams could win and move up to number one, and odds were reduced for the bottom teams. The odds now range from 18.5% for Ottawa (Colorado) to 1% (probably Montreal or Columbus). The Canucks if they stay where they are, would have a 6% chance of winning. If they pass Edmonton and Chicago it could go down to 3.5%. If Anaheim were to pass the Canucks they could be at 6.5%.

canucks are better off to draft the best forward available, most top 10 or so can step right into the league, it's fairly rare that a d man is nhl ready, they are better off to spend the money in free agency to meet their dman needs. I do hope they resign Edler, but need him to play less minutes to stay healthy and effective. I still see some hope with Virtanen, and hope they give him another year.

canucks are better off to draft the best forward available, most top 10 or so can step right into the league, it's fairly rare that a d man is nhl ready, they are better off to spend the money in free agency to meet their dman needs. I do hope they resign Edler, but need him to play less minutes to stay healthy and effective. I still see some hope with Virtanen, and hope they give him another year.
What the Canucks need is to pick up some experience in the off season who can mentor these kids what it takes to be a contender. They need to be a contender in the free agent market in the off season. The eggs can't all be placed in the Petterson/Boeser pairing. There is a lot these two kids can learn from a few playoff seasoned veterans. It will never work for the Canucks if they are going to try to build a team around those two. Never worked with the Sedins.

Pretty quiet here?? guess everyones out golfing like the nuks and oil will be later this week:(. Picking Dallas in the west,big long shot , Calgary has not played really that good in last 1/3 of the season.Tampa in the east.

Just returned from PV, Mexico so curious how this Q. Hughes has looked?
Too bad Montreal didn't make the playoffs but trading Radulov to Dallas hurt their power play big time.
In Calgary it will be up to the goaltending in my opinion and Tampa in the east looks too strong.
Still like Nashville and Vegas in the west.

Quinn Hughes looks good very responsible defensively yet not afraid to take a chance to make a play and he has the talent to do it

Well, that's that and now on to the playoffs for some. Canucks a 500 hockey team that for most nights didn't quit and had good goaltending that kept the team competitive. Too many bottom 6 players who are equally expendable and with a UFA top 6 forward and defenceman the Canucks will take in my opinion one step closer to the playoffs. I had wished Virtanen would have played with Motte's motor but I have finally come to realize that he just doesn't have what it takes to be a consistent NHL top 6 forward as Pearson and Leivo have passed him on the depth chart. Still has trade value so maybe JB can package something together worthwhile. Will be an interesting summer.
I really liked what I saw in Quinn Hughes for my first look at him.
Not sure which Canadian team to cheer on in the playoffs but leaning towards Calgary or Winnipeg whomever I can get on the bandwagon with.

... I had wished Virtanen would have played with Motte's motor but I have finally come to realize that he just doesn't have what it takes to be a consistent NHL top 6 forward as Pearson and Leivo have passed him on the depth chart....
Yes we saw that this afternoon again.

hahah okaay :rolleyes: dont think you will see the same boston team next game...leafs played a good road game... I'mmm waiting for Jackal to jump in here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back