In Puerto Vallarta. What fish is this?

Olde School

Had a lovely morning on a charter off the beach in PV. Saw baitfish swimming under the boat, saw pelicans diving at them close up, saw these fish chasing the bait hard. What species of fish is this?

Tubber, I was totally sold on your idea of them being jack crevalle until I noted that their distribution is Atlantic. Dang.

Looks like a Jack Cravelle - to me. Also known as Toro in Mexico where I’ve caught them. Great fighters, but I was warned not to eat them - very strong tasting fish.
Stosh

IIRC there was a time when the 'Atlantic' and 'Pacific' Jack Crevalles were considered separate species but that's no longer the case.

I've caught them in both oceans and they take the same things and fight the same-that's a real dark one in the photo.

Mexicans often call them Toro or Bull but Jurel (hoo-rell) is the common name throughout Latin America.

Looks like a Jack Cravelle- but I was warned not to eat them - very strong tasting fish.
Bleed them and keep them on ice and they're delicious but most people especially in Mexico just let them lie in the bilge-small wonder they taste like crud.

Back