Important Chinook Information - Feedback Required

Walleyes... Washington State is salmon fishing crazy... US'rs love to fish and hunt. An economic powerhouse genie in the bottle is now out and includes the most gifted human resources and environmental coastal spectacle globally imaginable. Governor Inslee is an avid sportsman and boater. He has led the charge to demolish old dams and wants buy outs of commercial boats. The rivers with old dams demolished already are now incubating salmon....more to come. He has pledged 1 billion for Orca's alone. This new economic region Cascadia linked by rail and fibre optics built/backed by world's largest high tech corps (guess what? Their execs live here north and south of the 49th on this coast) is a no brainer to become perhaps the leading high, clean tech super economic powerhouse in the world... wildlife/fish/ forest tabernacle eco region in the world. Do some googling on Cascadia Innovation Corridor. The driving force of this all is that the best brains putting their billions where their mouths are, scientifically understand that nobody's money is good anywhere on a dead planet... and that latter stark fact is looming on our horizon. The US politics are right because the Democratic states of California, Oregon and Washington have stated that Trump/Republicans are the enemy ... literally. An unrivalled economic region is emerging ...

Lol

I’m from Nova Scotia originally and my biggest fear is that B.C. ends becoming like the east, where it’s commercial fisheries only. Waste of some beautiful coast lines. What I don’t understand is, how these ENGO groups pushing for sports fishing closures think that will help anything, surely they must be smart enough to know that seals and netting of spawning grounds are among some of the bigger problems

Tons of laughs, you bet WM ... thanks

Brad Smith: President of Microsoft

Microsoft helped convene the first Cascadia Innovation Corridor Conference as an initial step in creating a more connected region that fosters innovation and collaboration," said Brad Smith, Microsoft President. "By bringing together business leaders from both sides of the border, today's announcement is a concrete step forward on that journey to achieve a shared economic future along the Cascadia Corridor."

The Cascadia Innovation Corridor steering committee includes the following individuals who will serve as cross-border co-chairs for each of the key sectors and cluster foundations:
  • Governor Christine Gregoire, CEO, Challenge Seattle
  • Greg D'Avignon, President and CEO, Business Council of British Columbia
  • Dr. Lesley Esford, President and CEO, Life Sciences BC
  • Steve Davis, President and CEO, PATH
  • Edoardo de Martin, Director, Microsoft Vancouver
  • Michael Schutzler, President and CEO, Washington Technology Industry Association
  • David Labistour, President and CEO, Mountain Equipment Co-op
  • Linda Delli Santi, Executive Director, BC Greenhouse Growers Association
  • Chad Krueger, Director, College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resources Sciences, Washington State University
  • Kevin Desmond, President and CEO, Translink
  • Paula Hammond, Former Washington State Secretary of Transportation
  • Kathy Kinloch, President, BCIT
  • Dr. Amy Goings, President, Lake Washington Institute of Technology
  • Dr. Gail Murphy, Vice President, Research and Innovation, University of British Columbia
  • Dr. Mark Richards, Provost, Executive Vice President, Academic Affairs, University of Washington
  • Matt Morrison, CEO, Pacific Northwest Economic Region (PNWER)
  • Dr. Laurie Trautman, Director, Border Policy Research Institute, Western Washington University
  • Marilyn Strickland, CEO, Seattle Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce
  • Bill Tam, Co-Founder and Vice President Business Development and Partnerships, Digital Technology Supercluster
  • Steve Mullin, President, Washington Roundtable
  • Jill Tipping, President and CEO, BC Tech Association
The steering committee will focus on four sectors: life sciences; sustainable agriculture; transformative technologies (AI/Cloud/Virtual and Mixed Reality); financial and retail innovations.

The group will also collaborate to leverage and strengthen the region's globally leading post-secondary education and research institutions, diverse talent development, infrastructure such as transportation and housing, and the efficient cross-border movement of people and goods.

Cascadia Innovation Corridor: Speakers
Speakers include Washington Governor Jay Inslee, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minster of Environment and Climate Change Jonathan Wilkinson, Hootsuite Chief Executive Officer Ryan Holmes, Microsoft President Brad Smith, BuildDirect President and CEO Jeff Booth, University of Washington President Ana Mari Cauce, University of British Columbia President Santa Ono, LifeLabs President and CEO Sue Paish, and Harvey Mudd College President Maria Klawe.

Microsoft, as we’ve been engaged for several years in helping grow the Vancouver technology ecosystem. In June of this year, we opened a major development center in British Columbia. Microsoft Vancouver, ultimately housing 750 employees, will inject $90 million in direct investment in the city annually. And it will have an estimated economic impact of $180 million each year across the province.

High Speed Rail Transit
Business and political leaders throughout the Pacific Northwest and across the border in Canada are supporting a high-speed rail study that would better link Seattle with Vancouver, British Columbia, Geek Wire reports.

Several companies and organizations, including Microsoft, announced a series of agreements to work together on connecting the region with better rail service and other economic development initiatives.
One of the most significant ideas to surface from last year’s conference was to provide high-speed rail service that would operate between Seattle and Vancouver in less than an hour with links to Portland.

OH they will wait for all the lic sales , people booking with resorts, lodges,hotels,planes and charter guys .. etc etc etc....id say mid may....if we are lucky closer ...
Ive been doing this now for over 33 years and can tell you the phone is NOT ringing off the hook, Americans I talk to think ALL of fishing is closed up here...
damage is done already.

Walleyes... Washington State is salmon fishing crazy... US'rs love to fish and hunt. An economic powerhouse genie in the bottle is now out and includes the most gifted human resources and environmental coastal spectacle globally imaginable. Governor Inslee is an avid sportsman and boater. He has led the charge to demolish old dams and wants buy outs of commercial boats. The rivers with old dams demolished already are now incubating salmon....more to come. He has pledged 1 billion for Orca's alone. This new economic region Cascadia linked by rail and fibre optics built/backed by world's largest high tech corps (guess what? Their execs live here north and south of the 49th on this coast) is a no brainer to become perhaps the leading high, clean tech super economic powerhouse in the world... wildlife/fish/ forest tabernacle eco region in the world. Do some googling on Cascadia Innovation Corridor. The driving force of this all is that the best brains putting their billions where their mouths are, scientifically understand that nobody's money is good anywhere on a dead planet... and that latter stark fact is looming on our horizon. The US politics are right because the Democratic states of California, Oregon and Washington have stated that Trump/Republicans are the enemy ... literally. An unrivalled economic region is emerging ...

Just remember, your inviting them in with open arms. I’ll say no more on the subject.

Anyone that thinks a Democrat is for more hunting and fishing and freedoms is delusional at best.

The Harper Cons were well on their way to privatizing our west coast fisheries, just like the east coast model. Lots of folks on other threads hoping for the Scheer Conservatives next election ... yet another case of we might get what we ask for and not like the results - zero protections and privatization of a commoditized resource does not bode well for average Joe angler.

Cheers!

Ukee!

The Harper Cons were well on their way to privatizing our west coast fisheries, just like the east coast model. Lots of folks on other threads hoping for the Scheer Conservatives next election ... yet another case of we might get what we ask for and not like the results - zero protections and privatization of a commoditized resource does not bode well for average Joe angler.

Cheers!

Ukee!

Is that right, not saying it isn’t but show us the evidence of this. Let’s see some copy and pasted documentation on this please. Not saying he didn’t promote some businesses I would hope he did but what did he do to squash the small ones. No left leaning government is for small business groups, none, regardless of what ever verbal diarrhea they spew out to tickle wanting ears it’s just not in their DNA. You can not control 1000 small businesses it’s much easier to control and get in bed with 6 big corporations. At the very core of their fundamental beliefs a conservative government will always promote small business and entrepreneurship any left leaning government is just the opposite.

But what ever, again, invite them in the door BC, go for it.

And members wonder why we do not allow purely political threads in the forum with their "my side of the ideological spectrum is way smarter and better than yours" perspective. Total derailment from the topic of discussion. Get back on track folks.

Governor Jay Inslee Washington State agrees totally with Admin on the "Get Back On Track Folks" and let's save our fisheries.

Governor Jay Inslee Washington State Addresses BC Legislature

Ok let’s go at it this way then maybe this will make sense to some.

You can’t invite these groups in and be surprised at the outcome. You can’t hire David Sazuki ( I am using him as an example and a metaphor) but you can’t hire the David Suzuki’s of this world to fight fish farms / energy groups for you then expect them to stop at fish farms / energy companies. They won’t stop until it’s all gone from us. They won’t be happy until we stop killing the poor Whales, the poor Grizzly bears, the poor salmon, chickens, cows it won’t stop until it’s all gone, this is the world they live in. When you fund them and invite them in your house don’t be surprised when they re-arrange the whole place. You are either for these groups or against them there is no middle ground with them and we are just starting to see the outcome of being in bed with them. Hold on tight because in 10 years we won’t recognize the world we live in. You worry about our kids and grandchildren having fish to catch, it will be AGAINST THE LAW for them to harvest any wild animal. And just remember who laid out the welcome matt for them.

You have to cut these groups off and and turn them away at their core and at their base because right from the start they are extremists and liars. They are fundamentally flawed and you can not have any association with them, if you do this is the outcome.

What a bunch of nonsense. Many of you should know better. What's next privitize salmon like we have for halibut? You do know that the last government tried that with their halibut experimental license. Looking after, small business, halibut fisherman against that big bad giant of the general public who owns it.

Well said. I think one thing too is that there’s not one political party that is ideal for us. Liberals give it all away to fn and enviro groups. NDP would be worse. Conservatives stand up to those groups but don’t do anything on fish farms and take some could argue not enough action to restore stocks (liberals take too much or enough). So it’s half a dozen of one, 6 of the other. I rather conservatives personally though

I didn't leave the conservative movement it left me many years ago and I sure as hell would not vote for any of the main parties that don't have a strong policy when it comes to looking after our salmon resource. What I see is a lack of leadership. It seems to me that they are all looking for a parade that they can jump out in front and pretend that they are leading it.

What a bunch of nonsense. Many of you should know better. What's next privitize salmon like we have for halibut? You do know that the last government tried that with their halibut experimental license. Looking after, small business, halibut fisherman against that big bad giant of the general public who owns it.

Show me where in the constitution it states the public owns those fish.

Those are the Kings fish boy and don’t ever forget it.

Well said. I think one thing too is that there’s not one political party that is ideal for us. Liberals give it all away to fn and enviro groups. NDP would be worse. Conservatives stand up to those groups but don’t do anything on fish farms and take some could argue not enough action to restore stocks (liberals take too much or enough). So it’s half a dozen of one, 6 of the other. I rather conservatives personally though

This is essentially what I struggle with come election time. The conservatives are good for harvesters and are less likely to restrict the public fishery. In fact you can talk to many of them who are on the fisheries council for Parliament and they are VERY VERY favorable to us. The conservatives are also better for enforcement not for hiring more enforcement but actually backing up the charges in Ottawa and going to court.

However you know that if the conservatives get voted in environmental protections will get cut. This is bad for wild salmon

The liberals, they traditionally give more quota to first nations and also don't oppose them as much in court. They are also better for environmental protection as well as focusing more on wild salmon. As seen these past years they have brought back the wild salmon plan.

The NDP is a throw away vote simple as that. They have Zero chance of doing anything this election cycle even with the liberal controversy.

Bless Fin Donnelly heart but he was unable to get squat done while the conservatives held power.

Honestly I'll probably vote Liberal again as they pay more for my children.

My personal opinion is we need to organize ourselves (individual anglers, businesses, etc) in a big way and find a way to an integral part of the solution (funding, habitat restoration, enhancement, science / research)...that way they can’t get rid of us.

Part of this would require significant publicity efforts so joe public doesn’t get fooled by the greens and understands who is doing what.

This will take time and money. Hopefully people value our fishery and the fish enough to make this happen.

Lots of good ideas discussed here. Let’s hope can get moving.

My personal opinion is we need to organize ourselves (individual anglers, businesses, etc) in a big way and find a way to an integral part of the solution (funding, habitat restoration, enhancement, science / research)...that way they can’t get rid of us.

Part of this would require significant publicity efforts so joe public doesn’t get fooled by the greens and understands who is doing what.

This will take time and money. Hopefully people value our fishery and the fish enough to make this happen.

Lots of good ideas discussed here. Let’s hope can get moving.

We have two main groups for this already SFI and BCWF.

The fact is that this is all about politics and shows how bad we are at it.

And members wonder why we do not allow purely political threads in the forum with their "my side of the ideological spectrum is way smarter and better than yours" perspective. Total derailment from the topic of discussion. Get back on track folks.

That would be the Supreme Court of Canada that has given priority access to FNs, not any one govt. Yes, the different governments have different approaches but look what the adversarial litigation approach has yielded - a lot of wasted tax $$$ in court (as the government has lost the vast majority of times) as well as the courts going even further in defining how broad FN title and right extend, a la the Nu Chah Nulth decision. Not saying I’m a fan of JTs reconciliation approach either but, Supreme Court owns the issue, not the Libs or Cons.

Cheers !

Ukee

Back