2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a stunning morning for a couple hours fishing on the west side of Bowen. I think the fish gods rewarded me as it was going to be the last time out until early April. Two extremely red springs ... an 11lb and a 9lb on bottom with skinny g’s.

View attachment 44070
Dam nice work @Teja!. I'll be out Wednesday. Thx for the hot report. Can't wait!

2019 has been the year of the skunk so far, but had some beauty days to make up for it. Spent some quality time around Grace today. No fish to show for it but it was sunny and the mountains looked great. Wasn’t marking much on the sonar. Might try west side of Bowen tomorrow morning to see if the fish gods will smile.

Spent some time at tunstall yesterday morning, then made the move back to the harbour. No fish to show for our efforts, didn’t even really mark much action on the sounder either. Tried the typical spoons, anchovy with glow teaser heads and white hoochies, couldn’t convince any to take a bite. Went home with about 160 prawns as consolation though, and enjoyed a beautiful day on the water. Good luck out there!

Fished the harbour yesterday morning. Lost one to the seal right at the boat that looked like a legal size fish. Hooked another small one close to the bell. No banana spoon and flasher combo at the bottom. Good haul of large crabs for a 2 hour soak. When we were dropping our traps, Had a short encounter with a chap who was accusing me of pulling his trap earlier b/c he had an empty cage. WTF!
All in all a nice day out on the water. Seals are definitely becoming a major problem.

Wow, what a difference a day makes. Saturday was skunktown for me but today was fast and furious. Worked Bowen in the 145-185 range and I lost count of fish to the boat by 11. Skinny G Herring Aid was top of the menu. None of them were *quite* big enough to keep but were really close to legal and made for great action all morning. Had the first double header of the year which is always entertaining when running solo. Also picked up a few bottom fish and got to use the Seaqualizer for the first time. Feel a lot better fishing near the bottom when I can re-pressurize them quickly back down to 150'. Wrapped up the day doing a marine assist for a family dead in the water. All in all a fantastic day on the water.

Last edited:
One more thing worth mentioning. Got my DR caught up in someones prawn trap on the south side of bowen. The person was using FLOATING line and no line weights that I could tell. Along with tiny floats like for a crab trap. There was a serious discussion about either pulling or cutting the lines as they were a hazard with over 100 feet floating on the surface. I'm sure everyone here knows better. But for f sake.. a line weight is cheap.

In the end we untangled and let there stuff be...

One more thing worth mentioning. Got my DR caught up in someones prawn trap on the south side of bowen. The person was using FLOATING line and no line weights that I could tell. Along with tiny floats like for a crab trap. There was a serious discussion about either pulling or cutting the lines as they were a hazard with over 100 feet floating on the surface. I'm sure everyone here knows better. But for f sake.. a line weight is cheap.

In the end we untangled and let there stuff be...

Get the name on the float? If no name and number isn't it the right thing to pull or cut it? Ideally it has a phone number and name, in which case you could give them a "ring" to inform them of the issue? I did this (floating rope) by accident a couple of years ago and got a call from a, let's just say not too happy chap who reamed me out. I apologized emphatically and assured him I'd never do it again and as promised, I've never let it happen again!

Update. Moved to bell. Had a keeper on. Feed snuffy the outfitter spoon and of course the fish lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back