Call to Action – Help Save BC’s Public Fishery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Admin
Staff member
Our Public Recreational Fishery is under attack. Fisheries Minister Wilkinson will be receiving DFO Management advice most likely in the week of March 11 with respect to management options for Fraser Chinook (aka Option A or Option B).

In that, Minister Wilkinson will likely read advice from a number of ENGO groups and calling for closure of the recreational fishery, or in the alternative strong support for Option A. While not all ENGO’s support closing the recreational fishery, there has been a strong media campaign over several months taking direct aim at closure of the public fishery.

As the Minister’s decision is imminent, the need for you to write directly to the Minister is never more important. A personal letter, not a form letter is the best option. Simply state your concerns. Outline the social and economic cost and how Option A will effectively remove your opportunity and expectation of catching fish. How people and jobs will be impacted. The recreational fishery in BC generates 9,000 jobs and $1.1 billion in revenues each year – why are western Canadian jobs any less important from a public policy perspective than 9,000 jobs at SNC Lavalin?

Surely this is significant enough of an issue and threat to western jobs and economies, to warrant extensive Cabinet debate and careful attempt to achieve a balance between protecting Chinook stocks and our Public Fishery.

Over 700 people took the time to write personal letters to DFO expressing their views on the Chinook Measures Options. Even though this number may seem small, it had an impact. If you already sent a letter, thank you. What we are asking you to do now is re-send that same letter directly to the Minister. Anyone who hasn’t had opportunity to write, please do so in the next few days. Delaying even until March 15 may be too late. Be heard.

Here’s the Minister’s email:

mailto:min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Our Public Recreational Fishery is under attack. Fisheries Minister Wilkinson will be receiving DFO Management advice most likely in the week of March 11 with respect to management options for Fraser Chinook (aka Option A or Option B).

In that, Minister Wilkinson will likely read advice from a number of ENGO groups and calling for closure of the recreational fishery, or in the alternative strong support for Option A. While not all ENGO’s support closing the recreational fishery, there has been a strong media campaign over several months taking direct aim at closure of the public fishery.

As the Minister’s decision is imminent, the need for you to write directly to the Minister is never more important. A personal letter, not a form letter is the best option. Simply state your concerns. Outline the social and economic cost and how Option A will effectively remove your opportunity and expectation of catching fish. How people and jobs will be impacted. The recreational fishery in BC generates 9,000 jobs and $1.1 billion in revenues each year – why are western Canadian jobs any less important from a public policy perspective than 9,000 jobs at SNC Lavalin?

Surely this is significant enough of an issue and threat to western jobs and economies, to warrant extensive Cabinet debate and careful attempt to achieve a balance between protecting Chinook stocks and our Public Fishery.

Over 700 people took the time to write personal letters to DFO expressing their views on the Chinook Measures Options. Even though this number may seem small, it had an impact. If you already sent a letter, thank you. What we are asking you to do now is re-send that same letter directly to the Minister. Anyone who hasn’t had opportunity to write, please do so in the next few days. Delaying even until March 15 may be too late. Be heard.

Here’s the Minister’s email:

mailto:min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Will do, to him and the Oposition Member in my riding. As luck would have it the Government is facing hard times in the media, let’s ensure the good news story they try and find doesn’t involve kowtowing to emotion based urban ENGO rubbish.

Sadly, Ministers listen to their source of funding first. Does anyone have those connections?

The recreational fishery in BC generates 9,000 jobs and $1.1 billion in revenues each year – why are western Canadian jobs any less important from a public policy perspective than 9,000 jobs at SNC Lavalin?

I think we all know the answer to that, to The Liberals a Quebecois (or Atlantic Canada) job is much more important than a BC, Alberta, Sask, or Manitoba Job. E-mail Letter sent

Thanks to all that have.... for those who have not sent a letter yet .. please take the time this is really important

Done, again. Glad to see the term "Public" Fishery being used. I believe using the terms "Recreational" and "Sport" create an impression that we're all in this for fun. While I do enjoy fishing, my family eats everything I catch - i.e. it's every bit as much a food fishery for me and my family as it is for our First Nations brethren. In my letter to the Minister, I used the term "public" rather than "recreational" or "sport" and mentioned the food fishery aspect of the endeavour for my family.
There's three fisheries: Commercial, First Nations and PUBLIC.

This is pretty serious guys, and I am personally now worried. I am also monitoring traffic today from the post on social media that many aren't taking this seriously.

This is the last time... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SEND YOUR LETTERS. Get all business, tack shops, restaurants, guides, friends, families, wives/kids etc. to write to the minister. We need to show the minister we aren't a small group compared to these NGO organizations. This attack on our fishery has gone long enough. If this fishery closes there is no turning back. I don't know how to make it more real for you.

This ISN'T A DRILL OR FALSE ALARM.

Thanks now I am off to spread the word where I can... Sorry wish I has better news but we all need your help. Remember #itsyourfisheryfightback

FYI pass this around for a start also:

FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/IslandFisherman/posts/2300357770288159
WEB https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/call-to-action-help-save-bcs-public-fishery/

Last edited:
Well i just received a document that shows who wrote letters and what group etc, not even 1000 letters from the rec sector, 2700+ from the NGO's. I have passed the document onto Derby so hopefully he can post it up. For all you little **** ant whiners who love to do nothing but f*cking whine and whine and whine yet couldn't take the 5 minutes to write a letter F*UCK all of you!!!! Mods sorry for the language ban me as i am so pissed off.

Well i just received a document that shows who wrote letters and what group etc, not even 1000 letters from the rec sector, 2700+ from the NGO's. I have passed the document onto Derby so hopefully he can post it up. For all you little **** ant whiners who love to do nothing but f*cking whine and whine and whine yet couldn't take the 5 minutes to write a letter F*UCK all of you!!!!

Exactly why I posted what I just did. NGO groups had 5 times that just so you know. Jackel do as much as you can locally with Port Renfrew and Sooke to get people to do this. Personally if I hear well sending a letter won't work your just part of the problem. EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM LURKERS OR NON-LURKERS SHOULD BE WRITING LETTERS. Remember this government is fragile write now so votes matter to this prime minister as he is on very shaky ground.

Well i just received a document that shows who wrote letters and what group etc, not even 1000 letters from the rec sector, 2700+ from the NGO's. I have passed the document onto Derby so hopefully he can post it up. For all you little **** ant whiners who love to do nothing but f*cking whine and whine and whine yet couldn't take the 5 minutes to write a letter F*UCK all of you!!!! Mods sorry for the language ban me as i am so pissed off.

Letters recieved :(

First Nation 26
Recreational 938
Commercial 2
ENGO 3
ENGO Form Letter 2783
Other: coastal communities / local government / chamber of commerce 16
TOTAL 3768

Note that ENGO are using form letter for the vast majority of letters 2783. I know there have been many examples provided by members. Maybe we need a simple cut, copy and paste and email like they are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back