Tr-1 Gold autopilot

Mike park

I have been getting ready to order a unit only to find it was just recently discontinued while I was getting ready to order.
I called Garmin to find out what was happening, learned they are replacing it with an updated unit March 2019
called the Reactor 40 kicker autopilot that eliminates the hydraulic pump and cylinder brackets , runs servo motors and NEMA 2000 connections with a wireless remote.
They said they will support the TR-1 with parts for awhile , thought I would share the info. if anyone is looking at a unit or needing parts in the future .
Mike

Interesting. I was going to install one a couple of years ago (TR1). But heard so many different opinions on the product I decided not to. Not cheap either. I’d be interested to hear how the new product is and price point.

I have a TR1 that is almost new. Only used 6 months I think and came from an insurance claim when someone stole my kicker.
Don't have the hydraulic ram as that went with the motor but it is specific to the brand motor you are using. Maybe they are still available.
I'll have a look at in in a few days and might let it go fairly cheap if someone wants to give it a go.
I had it on my 26' SeaSport. 8000 boat with a Yamaha 9.8 HT and it would hold course straight as an arrow in wind or tide.

Sir reel do you have the throttle actuator and cylinder for the new Yamaha 9.9 high thrust? I’m running the tr1 gold on my boat and it’s been great. I just bought a 2019 Yamaha 9.9 I’m interested in the pieces you have left Thanks. John.

Last edited:
Yes I do have the throttle acuator. Brand new in the box.
I am back home in a few days and will sort out the pieces I have

Sir reel. What year of Yamaha was the tr1 for ? Give me a pm when you get back. Please thanks

Interesting. I was going to install one a couple of years ago (TR1). But heard so many different opinions on the product I decided not to. Not cheap either. I’d be interested to hear how the new product is and price point.

I've been trying to research them as well and was committed to getting one . I too read mixed reviews and found that they also require a nema 183 interface to work properly with a chart plotter
without it it could cause issues.
Garmin Rep. recommended a NoLand XP15 NMEA 0183 expander to give more output voltage than a chart plotter will put out to the ECU and pump.

So now that I sort of had a plan on what to do it's changed up .

The new system sounds interesting but you'll need to see if your kicker is on the list of compatible kickers , glad to see mine will work with the new unit .
I'm going to install one in the next month or 2 the guy's that have the tr-1 setup well seem to like them

The tr1 is a great system if it’s set up right. I had to replace the wireless receiver and fobs. But that’s it . I ordered the parts from Ray-tech electronics back east. There is a difference in the plugs for the ecm from the older models to the new ones. I was on the phone with Garmin last week sorting out what I need to do with hooking up the new kicker .

Last edited:
The tr1 is a great system if it’s set up right. I had to replace the wireless receiver and fobs. But that’s it . I ordered the parts from Ray-tech electronics back east. There is a difference in the plugs for the ecm from the older models to the new ones. I was on the phone with Garmin last week sorting out what I need to do with hooking the new kicker .

the older ones were called the gladiator system , then they changed to the Gold, replacement parts are not interchangeable from old to new from what I've read

Garmin is saying I have to change the throttle Actuator , the cylinder bracket and the ecm. Everything else will work. Not to bad in price ordering from ray tech

Garmin is saying I have to change the throttle Actuator , the cylinder bracket and the ecm. Everything else will work. Not to bad in price ordering from ray tech

the TR-1 seems to be a great system the correct installation and setup seems to me as the key . The guy's that have success seem to key in on these factors.
Changing the bio oil annually ,keeping it water free and making sure the sea state setting isn't making the oil / pump overheat seems to ensure it stays working.

So for me I'm going to go with the new system it has no pump or cylinder . Servo motors for steering and throttle fits all motors on their compatibility sheet , price wise the new reactor 40 kicker and tr-1 Gold are close in price roughly around 3200 if you don't get the separate screen and use your own plotter

I'll tell you here is no way you can physically steer a straight line into a strong wind as good as the TR1 can. The motor moves constantly making fine adjustments to heading. Uses very little battery too. It lets you concentrate on other things while it steers straight. Ever been hand steering and put your head down for a second and all of a sudden your going the other way and Wolf is screaming at you to get the ##$%&^ out of the way! LOL Well the TR1 will avoid that ugly situation. I don't have it on my new boat and sure miss it.
Having said all that it was a tricky little thing to understand and set up but once it was dialed in it was great.

I'll tell you here is no way you can physically steer a straight line into a strong wind as good as the TR1 can. The motor moves constantly making fine adjustments to heading. Uses very little battery too. It lets you concentrate on other things while it steers straight. Ever been hand steering and put your head down for a second and all of a sudden your going the other way and Wolf is screaming at you to get the ##$%&^ out of the way! LOL Well the TR1 will avoid that ugly situation. I don't have it on my new boat and sure miss it.
Having said all that it was a tricky little thing to understand and set up but once it was dialed in it was great.

I always seem to read that the guy's that have them setup well love them .
I actually had a TR-1 gold in my shopping cart for a couple of days while deciding, it was a very good price I was ready to pull the trigger when I actually did it said discontinued... WHAT
Man was I bummed thought I screwed up by waiting too long .
When I found out the new one was coming and will run preset patterns same as the gold I was actually relieved ... LOL to spend 3200.

If it is anything like the gold you will really like it. I never did hook it into my Chartplotter. Just wanted to steer a straight course and be able to make course adjustments by the remote.
Not sure about the new one but you need to spend a few hours on a calm day to get the compass and settings dialed in. Then you may have to make some adjustments in wind and current.
Another consideration is that your kicker is offset on the transom so when it is in the home or center position it actually will want to make your boat steer one way. If you can you want to find the offset when your boat steers straight and make that your home position. The autopilot wont have to work as hard then

If it is anything like the gold you will really like it. I never did hook it into my Chartplotter. Just wanted to steer a straight course and be able to make course adjustments by the remote.
Not sure about the new one but you need to spend a few hours on a calm day to get the compass and settings dialed in. Then you may have to make some adjustments in wind and current.
Another consideration is that your kicker is offset on the transom so when it is in the home or center position it actually will want to make your boat steer one way. If you can you want to find the offset when your boat steers straight and make that your home position. The autopilot wont have to work as hard then

Good to know thanks for the tip .

I want to be able to zoom in on a chart contour line say 100 ft. and add way points to follow it for a tack and hit go to .
The preset patterns zig zag etc. look pretty cool as well.
Do you use the hold function for bottom fishing at all

Ugh, crushing. I have a brand new TR1 Gold in the box.

Anyone want to buy a brand new in box TR1 Gold?

Back