Status
Not open for further replies.
Slow inside Whirl yesterday. Found a couple right on bottom. One missed a strike and ended up snagging himself between the dorsal/adipose fine. Turned his 8lb self into what I thought was A LOT bigger. Purple flash/white hootchie. Favourite time of the year to fish.

Out to today for the first time in 2019, after three months off the water. Nice day out there, with ESE wind never above 5K even though BWD upped the forecast to 15K after we left the dock! At least 10 or more boats strung out between Otter and Beechy. Some seemed to be in at least 300’ of water, but what do I know?

We stuck between 110’ and 150’ of water but all we could find were little guys, of which there seemed to be a lot. Ended up keeping two small 4lb hatchery fish and that was it for us. One on herring and one on a Coho Killer. Only fished from 9:00am till 12:30pm as we realised we were low on gas. Don’t think we would have missed much later but no doubt someone will put a post on here and say they caught 12 lb’ders after we left! LOL:)

Out in Whirl on Sunday Jan 13th, Got lines down at about 10 AM with a slow start to the day. Eb tide so we decided to try between church rock and the bedfords. Still nothing. Fish TV was showing marks in the 60-70ft range in 130ft of water. Around 11:45 we decided F it lets try it out. Raised anchovy to 60ft and bam 8lber in the boat. After that we released 8 smaller ones in the 2-4lb range. With the sun beating down and minimal wind we were in Hawaii. Almost mistook for a summer day out there.

Tips In Boys

Reactions: RBL
Was out to Pedder Bay this past Saturday. 10-12 boats in the bay in the morning. My 9yr old grandson landed a 5-lb hatch,,,, off the bottom,,, 120 ft of water and that was our only hit for the morning. Saw a few caught but looked to be mostly shakers. Took a friend out on Monday and we released 5 or 6 shakers, all wild. No hits off the bottom. These we at 80-90ft in 130-150ft of water.

Out by myself from about 11 to 3. Nothing. Picked up my son at 3 and we quickly caught one nice dinner sized winter. He’s lucky, or skilled or maybe a bit of both. Slow today but guys on the radio said some were being caught.

Out again today from 9:30am until 2:00pm. Unfortunately BWD went from a 0-5K Sunday forecast mid-day Saturday to a 10-15K ESE actual today, so it was a little cold out there with no sun either as formerly promised by Environment Canada. Did a few loops between Bluffs and Secretary in 115-120' of water with a few other boats but could only find three or four little barely legal 2lb fish which were definitely not worth keeping. So headed off a on long troll down to the Trailer park, over to the East side of Otter and back to the Bluffs without contacting anything else, so came in for some hot English tea!:)

I was out in Whirl and Beecher Bays last weekend. Not a touch for us. Saw a half a dozen other boats who seemed to be sharing the same problem.

Any reports lately? Was hoping to give sooke a try tomorrow? Thanks! Englishman it’s been like 3 weeks since a post.
Trophy2005,
Weather has been too bad for us to venture out. Having said that, there are braver more expert fishers on this forum than us and no one seems to be posting on this thread. So either, no one is fishing, or they are and they are not catching (most folks don't post if they don't catch unlike me who believes non-catching is still information) or they are catching and not telling!! Who knows??? o_O

I’ve been out a few times in the last couple weeks, nothin but a couple little shakers. Haven’t been seeing anyone catching either. Some of the local guides seem to be killin it but that’s them. Thinking of going to try for some hali tomorrow, tides look great. Any suggestions on spots in/around becher?

Was out yesterday for a couple hours. Got one at the Bedford’s there at 70ft and missed on other good hit. 2 shakers hit my bait on the surface before I could get it down. Saw a couple guys at Cheanuh with 2 nice Hali’s and heard that one guy got a 20 at whirl bay

Looking for accommodation and guides for group of 16 going on a stag first week of September. PM me any recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Saturday out in Pedder bay. Got 3 nice hatchery all around the 8 lb range. 130 feet on the rigger 15 lb ball using army truck hoochies and uv flashers.

good luck all,

Fished out of Pedder Bay Wednesday. The bite came on hot and heavy around 8 am and died off as the morning progressed. The fish were taking spoons and hoochies. Kept one American, 13 lbs, for tonight's bbq dinner. Tried for halibut but no takers

Anchored off of Pedder this morning, straight out from Williams Head in 320ft. Managed to hook a little chicken (around 10lbs) in between the multiple dogfish retrievals. Beauty of a day with quite a few boats on the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back