Important Chinook Information - Feedback Required

I haven’t been fishing forever, not since the days of when people say you could walk across the backs of salmon to cross rivers and oceans, but is it just me or has this all gotten a little blown out of proportion. Some areas are still seeing great returns, the area I’ve mostly fished has gotten better in my experience. In the beginning this seemed to all start as a result of the southern orcas which a few people claimed were starving due to the lack of chinook, were most of us not calling bs on that claim. Now we’re all talking like there’s 3 salmon swimming around in the ocean.

The next Federal election could put the brakes on this. Then we can get both common sense & our country back.
Even if that did happen, what do you think the cons would do to help the wild salmon stocks? Harpers govt turned a blind eye to what was going on on the coast, gutted dfo, cut environmental regulations for the fish farms, muzzled scientists etc etc. I really wish we had better options going forward.

oh. wow.. a guys goes a way for 4 days.. and it turns into a lemming fest???:rolleyes:o_O

I would like to personal thank all of you that took the time to send DFO your thoughts about the proposals.. For those who have not yet.. please take the time and do so.. its very import that you do take a few minutes and put something together.. doesn't have to fancy... we need to keep the pressure on... asked your fish partners, family members asks the business that you support thru your fishing if they can send there though in... DFO is listening and paying attention... :)

Read @Derby post above. This thread was started to maximize exposure of the request for an email campaign, to show strength in numbers to DFO regarding their proposed regulations for the upcoming season. Please keep the thread on topic and away from the meanderings about which government is going to save us, the UN, climate change etc. While these may be important subjects on the road ahead, the conversations take away from the focus of this campaign, which is to keep up the pressure on DFO that the current options they provided need change and that they need to work with all stakeholders for better long term solutions.

Brian

Emails sent and fishing partners have sent theirs as well. Contacting other people as well to send their comments in too. Here’s hoping.

Oly

Emails sent and fishing partners have sent theirs as well. Contacting other people as well to send their comments in too. Here’s hoping.

Oly

Thanks for doing that every bit helps. Letters are just as effective coming from places or business that rely on the sport fishing business. This could be workers of restaurants, gas stations, marine repair shops, hotels etc. It doesn't matter. This is also an ecoonmic component that the government needs to understand that will be harmed by these actions.

Make sure you pass that around. Examples of places could be like Port Renfrew, Sooke, Bamfield, Tofino, Ucluelet and and many more across our coast.

Last edited:
Letters sent thanks to a little plagiarism form fellow members letters(Thank you)

A request if you are sending a letter. Please don't take aim at the people within DFO - keep it factual and respectfully advance your concerns about how these potential measures could impact you. Also, the options offered are simply for discussion purposes - those discussions are seriously ongoing.

If you are angry, worried or upset that is certainly understandable, but we do have a serious Chinook conservation issue here that will require some very difficult measures to significantly reduce any removals of Fraser stocks of concern. What we need is laser precision management choices that allow these stocks to pass through areas so they can successfully arrive to spawn in their home rivers, while also allowing responsible public fishing opportunity on other more abundant stocks.

Don't shoot the messenger - we need to send very strong messages to DFO's political bosses - they are responsible for not providing the financial resources necessary for DFO staff to do the job. Don't scapegoat the people working in the trenches with very limited tools at their disposal...aim higher (Justin and Fisheries Minister) where the blame belongs. Why is Canada's investment only a fraction of what a small state (Washington) has put toward the fight...over $1.1 billion USD by WA...where is Canada??

Ericksen save-the-whales bill puts emphasis on new salmon hatcheries
February 07, 2019
  • Promotes public-private investment in new Puget Sound hatcheries
  • Pilot project would be built in Bellingham
  • Best way to ensure adequate feedstock for Puget Sound orcas

OLYMPIA – A proposal from state Sen. Doug Ericksen, R-Ferndale, would leverage private investment in salmon hatcheries to help restore declining orca populations on Puget Sound.

Under Senate Bill 5824, the first new hatchery would go to Bellingham, testing the Alaska model for hatchery management in Washington state. In Alaska, hatcheries are largely self-funded by the sale of returning fish, and have helped make that state’s fisheries among the healthiest in the world.

The bill would direct the Department of Fish and Wildlife to pursue opportunities for private organizations to build and operate fish hatcheries, either independently or in partnership with the state. Washington’s existing hatcheries are operated directly by the state.

Ericksen, recently appointed to the state Southern Resident Killer Whale Task Force, said the new approach offers a way to harness the power of the marketplace for orca recovery. “One of the biggest problems we face is rebuilding salmon populations to provide feedstock for the orca. Improving our hatchery system is an important first step.

“Tearing down dams, major land grabs and land-use restrictions are not the answer. A more robust hatchery system not only would mean more food for orcas, but also more opportunities for commercial and recreational fishermen, more tourism, and more good-paying jobs in our communities.”

Ericksen’s proposal embraces the Port of Bellingham’s plan to develop a new hatchery on a 237-acre site on the city’s waterfront. The bill would provide $42 million for the project.

The measure would require the Department of Fish and Wildlife to report on prospects for building a fiscally sustainable hatchery system along the Alaska model. It also would require the department to establish a bounty system to encourage Washington residents to hunt sea lions and other predators that interfere with state goals for salmon recovery.

IMO, longer term abundance of the salmon stocks is more important than what the "different user group" may or may not enjoy. If we, as recreational anglers, can show our desire and good will for conservation that will send a very powerful message to politicians. This view of my share vs. your share of the pie will get us no where.

This show how we care about conservation approach has been used over the past several years and all it has done is give DFO an easy target to reduce and restrict. While of course conservation is important and most anglers care deeply about it, there needs to be more pushback, protests, etc by the rec sector or else we will get pushed off the cliff by DFO. Also, keep the emails going etc, I don't necessarily agree DFO is listening though, were they listening when they closed all the way to Otter Pt when that wasn't even part of the "consultation" process.

Last edited:
This show how we care about conservation approach has been used over the past several years and all it has done is give DFO an easy target to reduce and restrict. While of course conservation is important and most anglers care deeply about it, there needs to be more pushback, protests, etc by the rec sector or else we will get pushed off the cliff by DFO. Also, keep the emails going etc, I don't necessarily agree DFO is listening though, were they listening when they closed all the way to Otter Pt when that wasn't even part of the "consultation" process.
I totally agree!! We have played Mr. Nice Guy for far too long. This has made us an easy target relieving DFO ___AND the Federal Gov't of their responsibility to protect and nurture the resource. Push back has to happen now--there is no other choice-our backs are against the wall. Is DFO listening--who knows? they never have but we have to try. The forecast lay-offs, , bankruptcy's, business closures and even possible recession for Vancouver island are not some imagined result but a distinct possibility if they don't listen! Told you so!! will not make any of us feel better when we are trying to sell our boats and all our gear into a saturated market!!

To my mind entering any kind of negotiation by proclaiming what you are willing to give up, simply results in that being the new starting point of the negotiation. While we all believe conservation should be the prime goal, I think it’s foolish to not ask “if we give this up, what is everyone else willing to give up”? Otherwise the guys that sit there and say nothing have already got you beat. The question I believe needs to be asked is what conservation measures are being mandated on other users? If none, then why? How will the new regulations be judged as to success? If this is about conservation as opposed to reallocation, let’s see the proposed cuts the other sectors are facing. We’re just too quick in my opinion to accept we are the only problem. I don’t see new Sport Fishing regulations ever fixing the complex problem of salmon sustainability, so once instituted they will never be rescinded. In the meantime DFO does nothing to address any other problems, because they are way harder and so the decline continues.

To my mind entering any kind of negotiation by proclaiming what you are willing to give up, simply results in that being the new starting point of the negotiation. While we all believe conservation should be the prime goal, I think it’s foolish to not ask “if we give this up, what is everyone else willing to give up”? Otherwise the guys that sit there and say nothing have already got you beat. The question I believe needs to be asked is what conservation measures are being mandated on other users? If none, then why? How will the new regulations be judged as to success? If this is about conservation as opposed to reallocation, let’s see the proposed cuts the other sectors are facing. We’re just too quick in my opinion to accept we are the only problem. I don’t see new Sport Fishing regulations ever fixing the complex problem of salmon sustainability, so once instituted they will never be rescinded. In the meantime DFO does nothing to address any other problems, because they are way harder and so the decline continues.

ITs because its not really conservation measures, The harvestable amount of pie is smaller and there for we are losing our % to a group that has a higher priority.

Don't get sucked into the conservation game, that just words DFO uses to make the pill easier to swallow,essentially your percentage of pie is being given away so a group with higher priority can still meet their quota.

No where does it say more fish will make it to the spawning grounds, They are just hoping that maybe the same amount will return.

Prime example is Prawns!

ITs because its not really conservation measures, The harvestable amount of pie is smaller and there for we are losing our % to a group that has a higher priority.

Don't get sucked into the conservation game, that just words DFO uses to make the pill easier to swallow,essentially your percentage of pie is being given away so a group with higher priority can still meet their quota.

No where does it say more fish will make it to the spawning grounds, They are just hoping that maybe the same amount will return.

For what ever good, I just emailed the two emails address at DFO, the Mayor of Comox and Campbell River, MLAs for the area, and Minster for the DFO.
Hopefully if there is enough uproar, something will be done. Even if its a modification of option A and B.

What I can't understand is that I've fished the 125 for years and have caught numerous tagged fished. The data from the tags indicate the vast majority are from Washington and Oregon. To date, NONE, not one has been from the Fraser.
For this area, this sounds like over reaction. Throwing out the baby with the bath water.
I really don't understand.....

Bingo! YES ! .......the light goes on as more 'get' it ...... understanding the situation, one angler at a time.....

I’m sorry but anyone who thinks there is any similarity between the prawn and clam issues, which aren’t data supported, and the very real conservation concerns facing multiple Fraser (as well as Skeena) Chinook stocks is either completely ignorant on the subject or blinded by their own self-interest. We’re about to be lying in a bed that’s been long in the making and it’s because of political concerns, ie dithering, over reductions and restrictions to all fishing sectors that this issue has been allowed to get as bad as it now is. Like many conservation issues delayed or put off by politics and lobbies, it is now far worse and requires much more drastic action to have any hope of meaningful effects. This is akin to ignoring that small lump or miscoloured skin patch - ignoring not only resolves nothing, it risks letting it get so bad the consequences are more severe than they needed to be.

As far as the clueless US politicians suggestion goes, do we really want politicians leading this on either side of the border, and their inevitable bias in favour of constituents and lobbyists, or fisheries scientists and professionals? To suggest dams and unregulated development have no effect on Chinook abundance is idiotic, as any fishermen who has even a grade-schoolers knowledge of salmon life-history and habitat needs knows. Having said that, Alaska’s true hatchery model - ie keeping hatchery stocks separate from wild stocks completely, could be part of the solution, as well as having those hatcheries and rearing of juveniles/smolts (away from rivers/ streams supporting wild stocks) funded by fishing and special interest groups (eg whale watchers, environmental groups). Not only could such hatcheries support fisheries away from wild fish, they could provide the spatial and temporal distribution of Chinook that orcas rely on.

I can’t repeat enough that no one can fish for extinct stocks.

Cheers!

Ukee

I honestly don't know why on our licenses, with the chinook stocks been in the state they say they are, that we can catch and retain thirty chinook in one year. I have never come close to thirty, nor have I tried, but that just seems like an excessive number to me in these times. Reducing to a more practical, conservative number like ten would have a positive result I would think. The most in a year I put in my freezer was 16, and I was still giving away a lot of fish, and we have three adults who all love salmon in my house.

Back