Important Chinook Information - Feedback Required

Well with this last rumour of Chinook closers and reduced limits of one per day and possibly only hatchery fish this may be the end for me and my family coming to the island after 30years of summer fishing. With Halibut restrictions, now rumours of prawn limits hacked in half and ground fish restrictions it’s getting harder to get the wife to commit to spending thousands a year on coming to the island.

I know a few people in the same position I face right now, we have invested tens of thousands in fishing tackle, $70k on a boat that stays on the island that is only used for fishing there. It makes me sick to my stomach that it has come to this, how can I justify spending $10-15000 a year on coming out to get maybe a couple days of fishing in and that’s it. My friends and family who usually come out to visit won’t be coming now if they can’t fish or bring anything back with them. It’s a hard decision to make, I love fishing but I also work hard for my money, and I just can’t justify spending so much to be limited to a point that it’s not worth it anymore.

Rant over, sorry for the whining
Yeah worry about yourself

Yeah worry about yourself
Exactly what is that suppose to mean?

I have friends that are going to be bankrupt because of this, who are guides and business owners who depend on people like me to support them. I started the thread to express my view on the effect it has on me personally, not to be told that I’m selfish and not caring of conservation. You have met my father last year who has fished here for 40+ years and I have as well, and has worked on commercial trollers as a young lad off the west coast from Ucluelet to Winter Harbour in the early 90’s and seen the collapse due to **** poor management.

I have friends that are going to be bankrupt because of this, who are guides and business owners who depend on people like me to support them. I started the thread to express my view on the effect it has on me personally, not to be told that I’m selfish and not caring of conservation. You have met my father last year who has fished here for 40+ years and I have as well, and has worked on commercial trollers as a young lad off the west coast from Ucluelet to Winter Harbour in the early 90’s and seen the collapse due to **** poor management.
We can talk about what Canada did back then and what rights FN have now and how the DFO mismanaged it all until the cows come home, the bottom line here is we have a species at risk. How do we move forward to fix this? My suggestions are as follows:

1. Ban use of nets for salmon fishing, period. They catch too much in areas where salmon are most vulnerable (rivers). If FN truly are concerned for their fishery they will agree to this. FN have many methods of harvest.

2. Ban wild salmon retention, period. This ensures the best genetics are propagating what remains of the species. This allows "trophies" to still be caught, but instead of eating or mounting, take a picture and let her go. This ban can be lifted or controlled when population levels return to equilibrium.

3. Invest more in hatcheries using wild salmon for brood stock. We know they work. Let's use them to help get the wild salmon populations back on their fins. A method of identification for wild hatchery fish can be determined if required.

4. Ban use of net pen fish farms. Instead, move them to inland facilities. The technology is there. No amount of money is worth the loss of a species.

5. Put a cull on pinnipeds. If we don't, nature will. Not sure what is a better photo op, a humanly culled pinniped or an emaciated one washed up on a local beach.

We need fresh, even extreme ideas on this because clearly what has been done is not working.
this topic is very near and dear to me. most of the people on this forum are connected to saltwater fishing by way of where they live or as guides etc.
I have lived out in the Fraser Valley most of my life and have fished the Vedder and Fraser Rivers for the past 51 years. Over the last 30 or so years I have fished at pretty much every lodge on the coast as well as Sooke where I have family. The point I would like to make is I have seen what goes on on the Fraser River and I'm not surprised that we are having a problem with our salmon stocks. The whole FN food fishery baffles me. Let's face it FN's can only eat so many fish a year so call a spade a spade, once their freezers are full the rest of the fish ate sold for profit. Just so you guys know I have a lot of FN friends here so the information is first hand. I know this suggestion will be unpopular but I would rather pay FN's to stay off the river than stand by and watch the Fraser Chinook population get wiped out.

this topic is very near and dear to me. most of the people on this forum are connected to saltwater fishing by way of where they live or as guides etc.
I have lived out in the Fraser Valley most of my life and have fished the Vedder and Fraser Rivers for the past 51 years. Over the last 30 or so years I have fished at pretty much every lodge on the coast as well as Sooke where I have family. The point I would like to make is I have seen what goes on on the Fraser River and I'm not surprised that we are having a problem with our salmon stocks. The whole FN food fishery baffles me. Let's face it FN's can only eat so many fish a year so call a spade a spade, once their freezers are full the rest of the fish ate sold for profit. Just so you guys know I have a lot of FN friends here so the information is first hand. I know this suggestion will be unpopular but I would rather pay FN's to stay off the river than stand by and watch the Fraser Chinook population get wiped out.

Doubt you would get FN consensus

It has already started. DFO has also implemented a new minister to work within the process. There are numerous areas of government that have also started down this path. This is a work in progress that started about four years ago and is a cross Canada process. We will start to see quite a few changes over the next three to five years as everything is brought up to speed. Nothing to do with me, I didn't create it.

The next Federal election could put the brakes on this. Then we can get both common sense & our country back.

Last edited:

Well i'm going out the door too over this too but i'm not crying that i worked hard for my money on a fishing forum. Everyone does! Put your big boy pants on and be thankful for the good times we had. Anyone who had a clue knew these limits with this mismanagement was unsustainable.

UNDRIP and IPCA's

None of these are law Stormtrooper they are recommendations and initiatives, not laws that have been put in place. Big difference escpecialy when dealing with international issues.

None of these are law Stormtrooper they are recommendations and initiatives, not laws that have been put in place. Big difference escpecialy when dealing with international issues.

https://openparliament.ca/bills/42-1/C-262/?tab=mentions

Liberals voted it into law, private memebers bill that was stonewalled by conservatives for years and has been passed under the liberals.

Not officially in yet as it’s still in the senate but it is a forgone conclusion pretty much

What is a United Nations declaration?
A United Nations General Assembly declaration is a document expressing political commitment on matters of global significance. A declaration is not legally binding, unlike a treaty or a covenant. Declarations are not signed or ratified by states.

Declarations can be adopted by consensus or by vote. States have three options when voting. They can either:

• vote in favour of adopting the declaration
  • vote against adopting the declaration
  • abstain from voting
Declarations only represent political commitment from the states that vote in favour of adopting them.

As far as I read it’s still sitting in the senate, read the rules it’s got a ways to go yet. As ILHG stated a change of government can put the breaks on a bill they don’t like very easily. It can stall in the house for a long time.

Anyways,, international law is not my strong point, carry on.

FYI these three Bills will likely pass.

Canada’s commitment to support three pieces of legislation:
  • Bill C-262, An Act to ensure that the laws of Canada are in harmony with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, currently at second reading in the Senate;
  • A new bill on First Nations jurisdiction over child welfare, co-developed with First Nations, to be tabled in parliament within a few weeks; and
  • A new bill on Indigenous languages, co-developed with First Nations and to be tabled in parliament within a few weeks.

They very well may stormtrooper but they aren’t yet. You’ve been throwing those links around here for the last 2 weeks like they are law and written in stone, I stated they aren’t law as of yet and they aren’t. ILGH stated a change of government can change this and it can indeed do that. Thats all I stated not getting into it with you.

oh. wow.. a guys goes a way for 4 days.. and it turns into a lemming fest???:rolleyes:o_O

I would like to personal thank all of you that took the time to send DFO your thoughts about the proposals.. For those who have not yet.. please take the time and do so.. its very import that you do take a few minutes and put something together.. doesn't have to fancy... we need to keep the pressure on... asked your fish partners, family members asks the business that you support thru your fishing if they can send there though in... DFO is listening and paying attention... :)

Back