Horseshoebay breakwater DOWN !

jeffywestcoast

Apparently the breakwater in horseshoe bay has been deystroyed... Both morning sailings fron Nanaimo have had to turn back. Sad day at the marina for many boat owners. Pics to follow...

Last edited:
This is not normal....
Seen plenty of wind on this coast but the ferry breakwater fail is a new one.

Yea that's not normal.
Dy_MG2lU8AAzebi

Man that marina has sure had it's share of bad luck between this and the ferry crashing in to it a few years ago I would be surprised that anyone would want to return.

Someone tweeted " If it's not on the beach then its on the bottom"
Dy_144ZUwAAe6sC

Was waiting in the ferry line up this morning for a couple hours but the ferry never showed coming back from Nanaimo cause it had to keep floating around out in the bay cause it was too F'd up to come in. Eventually all sailings were shut down. Floating storage building was listing bad, several boats washed up on shore and a boat dislodged from its mooring ended up wedged in underneath the ferry loading ramp. I can't remember every seeing the bay that rough before personally. Was heading over to the island with a buddy to check out a boat for sale. Ended up going to the boat show after they shut the ferry's down. Some pics from the shore there. 20190209_113051.jpg 20190209_113011.jpg 20190209_112915.jpg

Was waiting in the ferry line up this morning for a couple hours but the ferry never showed coming back from Nanaimo cause it had to keep floating around out in the bay cause it was too F'd up to come in. Eventually all sailings were shut down. Floating storage building was listing bad, several boats washed up on shore and a boat dislodged from its mooring ended up wedged in underneath the ferry loading ramp. I can't remember every seeing the bay that rough before personally. Was heading over to the island with a buddy to check out a boat for sale. Ended up going to the boat show after they shut the ferry's down. Some pics from the shore there. View attachment 43382 View attachment 43383 View attachment 43384
Alex and I were already in Vancouver - We came over yesterday and planned on returning via Horseshoe Bay but diverted to Tsawwassen with a 5:45 reservation. Pretty windy here too but its a tail wind for the boat.

Last edited:
watching the sea-can full of outboards
and forklift going down was the most
sobering image...u see boats washed up
on the shore all the time but why have
the container on a floating dock.
hope they had a permit or that could
be the end of sewels.

Scary, and sad. Hope no one was hurt. Wouldn't be a nice day being out in that. (reminds me of one morning we woke up to weather like that and were lucky enough to be securely anchored in an area that was sheltered behind a small mountain) Looks like the insurance companies are going to be busy for awhile. Hopefully most boats were insured....

Resized_20190210_155100.jpeg

Saw them picking gear and boats out of the water yesterday on the 345 ferry. Rough drive from Nanaimo up island after the ferry. Cars couldn't make it up the departure bay hill. Worst I've ever been in on the Island. Zero visibility and not a plow to be seen.

View attachment 43450

Saw them picking gear and boats out of the water yesterday on the 345 ferry. Rough drive from Nanaimo up island after the ferry. Cars couldn't make it up the departure bay hill. Worst I've ever been in on the Island. Zero visibility and not a plow to be seen.
Yup boss wanted me to drive my superB to port alberni today .. I respectfully declined.. roads are a mess, glad they are able to pluck that stuff on the bottom over there what a mess.

Back