2019 Fraser Chinook Management Actions UPDATED!!

I foresee a lot of difficult decisions and management measures coming to all stakeholders. The plight of Interior Fraser Chinook in particular is dire. We are seeing poor fresh water survival in concert with similar ocean conditions. So it’s no one issue and/or solution that will get us out of this problem. Even if we completely closed all fisheries there is no confidence that alone would bring about recovery. Climate change is certainly driving a number of factors leading to the problem. Combine that at a time when there are other issues such as predation and we have a perfect storm situation

If we are to achieve an effective recovery for these fish, it will take a well coordinated and diverse set of actions

I’m not certain that government cares enough to do more than token investment. Successive governments have simply avoided making hard financial commitment and applied only what amounts to lip stick on the pig.

I think our approach within the fishing community at large has missed the mark. We need to get in the face of the public and policy makers to build a strong linkage between thriving healthy fisheries and strong communities that enjoy the significant economic benefits of our fishery.

Fisheries matter, and they support vast social and economic drivers. Time for our fishing community to shift gears and build strong public support to invest heavily in rebuilding our fishery

We need to get in the face of the public and policy makers to build a strong linkage between thriving healthy fisheries and strong communities that enjoy the significant economic benefits of our fishery.

Fisheries matter, and they support vast social and economic drivers. Time for our fishing community to shift gears and build strong public support to invest heavily in rebuilding our fishery

No argument here. I firmly believe we need to gain public awareness and support.

What does that look like? Some of
us want to help however possible. I try to educate and engage whoever will listen. Tough at times. I can’t even get the people who come on my boat and fish with me interested enough to share posts and part out a couple bucks in support of you guys and the effort.
This is friends and family Ibspeak of.

What is suggested for the average guy to help in this endeavour.? Beyond a cash donation that is.

Last edited:
2019 Fraser River Chinook Conservation Measures

See attached

upload_2019-2-5_14-51-30.png

upload_2019-2-5_14-52-6.png
upload_2019-2-5_14-53-27.png
upload_2019-2-5_14-54-1.png
upload_2019-2-5_14-54-27.png
upload_2019-2-5_14-55-0.png

Attachments

• 2019 Chinook Management Approach Letter - February 5, 2019 - final.pdf
    491.7 KB · Views: 62
  • upload_2019-2-5_14-53-14.png
    upload_2019-2-5_14-53-14.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 38
Guess were all going halibut fishing this year?

Option A limits the FSC netting Option B not sure

I thought they were not suppose to make measure until after they got the CWT results? more DFO lies?

Last edited:
Not good!
Get everyone to read this.
Keep it at top of page or someplace so all will see.

You have three weeks to reply.
So do the Greens who will want option A.

Wildman you need to put up the letter as I cannot.

So if it's scenario b does that mean no max slot length for unclipped chinook in the Juan de fuca just hatchery only till aug. 30?

Just a head up to ALL the SFAC chairs.
As this has a timeline that allows all the SFACs to meet and forward info to the main board.
I would reccomend that they call an emergency meeting to address this!

As the Main Board meets real soon I see no reason for them not to address this.

The New Chair of the Main Board should make this his priority.
I know Halibut is important as well, however not the same time line.

Now I am starting to get ROYALLY PISSED OFF! :mad:
Meetings are being scheduled with these Incompetent Fools... again...
Had it.
Court time looking like a distinct possibility methinks...

Pissed,
Nog

Last edited:
If there ever was a time to join together and fight it is now. I know a group that I belong to will not be taking this sitting down.

If there ever was a time to join together and fight it is now. I know a group that I belong to will not be taking this sitting down.
How does one take part in this. Sorry I am late to the party here, is there a minister I should be writing about this?

As I have not studied these issues in depth, I don't purport to understand them very well. However, there is one statistic which is overwhelmingly the most troubling to me, because it clearly points out what we know, namely that that there are many things beyond catching fish (commercially, for sport or for FSC First Nation purposes) that are destroying Chinook salmon populations. The statistic is this one: total fishery mortalities [from fishing] are 16.9% with remaining 83.1% of run going to spawning grounds. Unless, I am mistaken, this suggests it is not overfishing that is the principal cause, or even any cause at all, for this huge decline in the salmon numbers over the last decade or so.

This means that the salmon are not reproducing and/or dying in the ocean without ever being caught by fisherman at rates that will see their permanent demise unless we find out why and do something about if we can. Habitat loss, ocean warming due to climate change, and pollution generally may be the largest reasons for this and if so, I fear that our beloved Chinook are doomed. The changes we all need to make to stop and reverse (where possible) habitat loss, pollution, climate change and ocean warming are for all practical purposes impossible for any meaningful short or even long term recovery to take place. The modern world is built on, and entirely dependent upon, a life of economic consumption that is based on plastic, fossil fuels and other things that are destructive of nature and her bounty. More people want more stuff and the earth pays the price.

This is nobody's fault in particular, but rather the fault of all of us. Until we radically rethink how we live and, most importantly, how we choose to use science and technology to change the planet and our lives, things do not look promising for the natural world, including salmon. Until all of us, worldwide, get a handle on this, debates like the ones on these forums are really just arguments about who should get the last few of a disappearing species. We should instead be looking to save the species, if we can. Even the small steps add up. Use fewer plastic bags, recycle more, burn less fuel, buy less stuff. If millions or billions of people do so, it can make a difference until we figure out how to live without destroying the planet. There are future generations coming and its the least we can do for them.

Perch, there will some info released early next explaining how the public can voice there disapproval of this direction proposed by DFO and insist DFO support more positive efforts like enhancement/net pens, anything that will produce more fish. DFO has been going down this path of cut and chop of fisheries for decades and every year it chops more. It wouldn't surprise me if they try and cut and chop "zero" when they get there and try and convince us they still know what they are doing.

How does one take part in this. Sorry I am late to the party here, is there a minister I should be writing about this?
Here you go--- The Honorable Johnathan Wilkinson, Minister of Fisheries and Canadian Coast Guard,

< Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca >

Minister’s Office

200 Kent Street

Station 15N100

Ottawa, Ontario

K1A 0E6

Rebecca.Reid@dfo-mpo.gc.ca ( Regional Director-General)

Option B obvioulsy looks more appealing from an anglers perspective, but with a 1 fish/day limit I worry people will be literally throwing back a lot of perfectly good fish to find "a keeper" :mad::mad:

Bottomfish will take a shitkicking if option A is chosen, and even during the 1/day restriction last year I noticed more guests wanted to target them.

Is commercial fishing even a profitable thing these days? Seems like a zero-sum game aside from the slaughter of course.

I think the rec limits for salmon are too generous. The fact that each licence holder can kill 30 chinooks a year is crazy!
"But Im the only fisherman in my family and my children refuse to eat anything but salmon!"
If somehow 30 chinooks wouldnt feed a normal family for atleast a year, you could always take them with you, let them experience something new and unique to our area, and if theyre not old enough to come fishing then theyre probably not eating that much salmon to begin with.

Everybody has to make concessions if we are serious about the preservation of these fish!

Back