Fixing freezer burned salmon

Ev
Water freezes and expands the meat fiber causing the meat to fall appart easyer.Would you wash any other type of expozed meat before freezing?
ever since I stopped washing my fillets and freezing I have a much better product but the way wolf does his on a cookie sheet and puts in fridge or freezer works to because the dehumidifier in your fridge dries out the fish

Water freezes and expands the meat fiber causing the meat to fall appart easyer.Would you wash any other type of expozed meat before freezing?

water wash? not packing before drying it tho, unless it was a marinade. I do dry rubs and marinades with all kinds of meat with the vac chamber. good stuff.

I rinse all my fillets in the sink. I then place them on old clean towels and cover them with another. Let them sit for a bit and then pat dry and seal. No real issues with freezer burn.

I rinse all my fillets in the sink. I then place them on old clean towels and cover them with another. Let them sit for a bit and then pat dry and seal. No real issues with freezer burn.
I do the same, but get freezer burns after about 6 months in the freezer. I have been experimenting, and the best I've found is to soak the fillets in milk overnight. Then rinse and cook as usual.

I rinse the fish well then fillet fish. No water contact to the meat. Kills me when I see people blasting the meat with water at cleaning stations. Use paper towels to soak and blood up and pat dry both sides of the portion of fish. Then wrapped dried fish tightly in Saran Wrap meat side down so the meat side has a tight seal on it. After wrapped in Saran Wrap the fish gets vacuum sealed. I have found this gives the best long term care for fish. Costco sells big rolls of Saran Wrap and also good paper towels. I go through lots of paper towels but makes for the best product. With halibut it is important to get all the slime off. The Saran Wrap can end up being very tight and have had people not even notice it in the fish. Seasoning and then baking the fish to only realize the Saran Wrap on is not the recommended way to cook fish. :)

Prawns work great if you put them in Tupperware then fill with water. Freeze and then pop out the prawn ice cube, wrap in Saran Wrap and stack neatly in the freezer. Freezing in milk vs water also works well.

A simple solution has been a game changer for me... I have a food saver, it is crappy, and will only fillet and freeze if I plan to eat within a month. When I am lucky enough to have enough fish that I plan to keep for longer I exclusively freeze chunks. If a seal breaks on a bag it is next to impossible to shave the freezer burned surface off a fillet. However, if a seal breaks on a chunk it is not a big deal. When you take the chunk out you fillet off the two sides, and if the fish needs trimming it is simple to trim 1/4 inch off the ends of the fillets you produce. I usually do this even if the seal has not broken if the fish has been frozen 6 months or more. That exposed surface will always give a very slightly off taste. Normally now I eat middle sections fresh and freeze front (with collar still on) and tail. This means you are freezing pieces with least exposed surface. This also considerably reduces processing effort after a long day of successful fishing. The only disadvantages I see are that it takes a bit longer to defrost a chunk and a little extra bit of processing on the day of cooking.

So you say not to wash fish YET letting it sit in milk is ok for 20 mins??? hhhhmmmm ok

i quick - freeze my filets on a cookie tray or something equally flat. Doesn’t need to be **** stiff; usually just a few hours will suffice. Then i vacuum seal it. it seals beautifully with no air pockets at all.

Back