2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a few different types of Tanners Reeltime. These ones are Bairdi and can be shallow. They are known as the "inshore Tanner" The other Tanners are more deep water ones apparently according to that write up.

we catch them in 500 feet out west , thought they were box crabs , what someone told me when i showed them a pic , scrawny lookin . pretty sure they dont get much bigger

Lopholithodes-foraminatus_ID_ODFW.jpg
we catch them in 500 feet out west , thought they were box crabs , what someone told me when i showed them a pic , scrawny lookin . pretty sure they dont get much bigger
Oh right on FD'r. Box Crab are very different looking. I haven't personally caught any myself but a friend of mine catches them up by Cortez. They huddle themselves up into a cube and look like rocks kind of and have very hard shells from how he explained it to me. Here's an internet stock photo of a Box Crab

View attachment 42750
Oh right on FD'r. Box Crab are very different looking. I haven't personally caught any myself but a friend of mine catches them up by Cortez. They huddle themselves up into a cube and look like rocks kind of and have very hard shells from how he explained it to me. Here's an internet stock photo of a Box Crab
Like this 20190121_194337.jpg

Nice! Where abouts did you catch those ones RC? Not the exact spot obviously but curious how far from the harbor? Up straight farther?

Hey RC, just spotted your photo. With a fair level of confidence (despite not seeing them in person) , I would say those are probably 'Puget Sound King Crab'. I used to photograph them all up and down coast (scuba) and shape and colour look to be as I remember them. Membeber of King Crab family and not actually a Box Crab ( although look similar) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puget_Sound_king_crab
You know what's funny I think after a lot of debate that is what we actually agreed upon as well. I was going to comment in that regard but thought **** it. Thanks for mentioning it!

Wow very cool! Ya when comparing pictures online they look a lot alike (the Box and Puget Sound King Crab) but the PSKC is much more vibrant in color with pinks, purples, orange, reds while they say the Box crab is dull and tan/brown in color.

Did you eat them RC? If so how were they?

Wow very cool! Ya when comparing pictures online they look a lot alike (the Box and Puget Sound King Crab) but the PSKC is much more vibrant in color with pinks, purples, orange, reds while they say the Box crab is dull and tan/brown in color.

Did you eat them RC? If so how were they?
We did eat them yes. There was lots of chunky meat but the shells were REALLY hard to break. They also let out some kind of ***** smelling liquid before I killed them that was kind of off putting. Very sweet meat but not as clean tasting as Dungeness. The colors of the shells were almost psychedelic.

Awesome stuff RC, good haul. Looks like the new boat is being put to good use right off the hop.

Last edited:
Yah winter,,, I'm getting tired of sitting in mine making motor boat sounds already lol. That's not to say momma and I haven't tried out the cuddy already ;) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back