2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
crickets.... anyone home??
Anyone heading out this weekend? a bit too windy for my liking..
Was out last Sunday (sorry for the late report), West side of Bowen, 2 keepers, handful of just unders. We got over 200 prawns in 4 traps so that was nice! Lot's of berried females which went back, some were unlucky and the seagulls that were flocking picked them up..
Later on fished the harbour a bit and saw @Rain City with his new commander.. What a beaut!!

Also, I find if you drop the females right below the boat instead of throwing them out to the side the gulls can't or won't go for them.
Great idea. I saw one guy on youtube put them all in a bucket then dump them all at once. Numbers game kinda thing, the birds can only get so many at once.

Suggestion: put the berried females in a bucket, take them into shallower water and release them there; they’ll have a much better chance to make the bottom

Would have to see what DFO says about that - they may misinterpret your good intentions if they pull you over travelling with a bucket of berried prawns.

I flip and open the trap, pick out all the females drop them off tight on the side of the boat, gulls won't come close to
the boat throw couple heads for a decoy, giving the prawns a way better chance at making while the traps are up
freshly pulled while there kicking hard, not in a bucket for later, prawns start to die fast in a bucket.

Seafood safari is good everywhere crabs are picking up in the harbour nice hard shelled,
prawns are doing good for lots, great weather days! cheers!

Caught this guy in the Sound had many small ones but nothing like this
IMG_8688.JPG

Last edited:
I flip and open the trap, pick out all the females drop them off tight on the side of the boat, gulls won't come close to
the boat throw couple heads for a decoy, giving the prawns a way better chance at making while the traps are up
freshly pulled while there kicking hard, not in a bucket for later, prawns start to die fast in a bucket.

Seafood safari is good everywhere crabs are picking up in the harbour nice hard shelled,

View attachment 42689
Looks like the silent but deadly, forward walking crab.

Cool! bunch of good suggestions for mitigating seagull risk.. I like the decoy idea!!
@Reeltime that thing looks like a miniature king crab!!

View attachment 42689
Hey reeltime, How deep was the crab.

49789474_541414106360166_6280711589553242112_n.jpg
Sure does look like a King Crab, would make my day if we had King Crab around here, never know
It's a Tanner crab (Bairdi). I've been getting quite a few of them lately while prawning. Smaller ones mostly. This year is the only year I've been catching them all over Georgia Straight and Howe Sound even on the back sides of the Gulf Islands. All around the 300' depth as well.

I posted some pics of a bunch of small ones I got the other day on the Gulf Island report page. The ones I got in on this side of the straight were all clean, the ones I got over on the Gulf Island side had lot's of barnacles and worm sand tunnels on their shells.

Edit to add picture: Some small dirty Tanners I got over by the Gulf Islands. These ones were ugly compared to the ones on the other side of the straight. Don't know why though.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-especes/profiles-profils/tanner-crab-crabe-neiges-pac-eng.html

Last edited:
View attachment 42717
It's a Tanner crab (Bairdi). I've been getting quite a few of them lately while prawning. Smaller ones mostly. This year is the only year I've been catching them all over Georgia Straight and Howe Sound even on the back sides of the Gulf Islands. All around the 300' depth as well.

I posted some pics of a bunch of small ones I got the other day on the Gulf Island report page. The ones I got in on this side of the straight were all clean, the ones I got over on the Gulf Island side had lot's of barnacles and worm sand tunnels on their shells.

Edit to add picture: Some small dirty Tanners I got over by the Gulf Islands. These ones were ugly compared to the ones on the other side of the straight. Don't know why though.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-especes/profiles-profils/tanner-crab-crabe-neiges-pac-eng.html

Thought it was a Snow Crab at first, found out later it's a Tanner also, heard they're pretty tasty, looks like they're usually pretty deep
from reading the link.

Thought it was a Snow Crab at first, found out later it's a Tanner also, heard they're pretty tasty, looks like they're usually pretty deep
from reading the link.
There's a few different types of Tanners Reeltime. These ones are Bairdi and can be shallow. They are known as the "inshore Tanner" The other Tanners are more deep water ones apparently according to that write up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back