Yamaha 9.9 Refresh

profisher

My 2006 Yamaha T 9.9 has a ton of hours on it and instead of waiting for it to wear out completely I thought its time to give it an overhaul. I found water in the gearcase this fall so in November I bought all the parts I needed to have it rebuilt and included a new prop shaft and spray welding the driveshaft to eliminate a wear grove. (caused by the oil seal rubbing over those thousands of hours use) I pulled the powerhead yesterday and switched over all the bolt on parts to a low hour spare powerhead that I found in November. I had to take the oil pan out as well to get to the water pick up tube to replace with a new one. When ever I have the powerhead off I replace the rubber upper pan grommets which eliminate metal on metal rattles. They wear out after a few years of steady use and a rattle can begin at certain rpms. Now that what is left on the boat weighs very little I'm going to remove the rest from the boat and have the power tilt gone through and a known couple of parts that fail replaced. Once that comes back the low hour powerhead will be bolted into place and a few hours of hooking everything back up I should have a good to go kicker for many more years.
kicker.jpg
kicker2.jpg kicker3.jpg

Good for you. Probably something many of us should do considering most of us put way more hours on our kickers than our mains.

I have had a few of the older Yami s apart. Seems they have evolved. Are you able to get new rubber vibration bushings? Same as the rubber grommets?

If you mean the 4 located around the inner perimeter of the top engine cowling|pan that the engine cover mates to...yes. They aren’t expensive and keep that cowling from metal to metal contact with the oil pan upper flange and the bolts that fasten it down.

I’m waiting on a new oil pan as mine has a section with a bit of metal loss on the mating surface with the powerhead. It would be ok but I fugure I’m this deep into it I might as well take care of it now than have to tear it apart again in a few years. By then the part may be obsolete too. The kicker is 12 years old and owes me nothing so I hope by showing it some love now it will give me another 10-12 years when we can both retire.

This is the 9.9 I picked up from Sherwood Marine that needed an intake valve, spring, guide oil seal and a retainer...$130 in parts and $50 in labour to seat the new valve later. I now have a low hour like new spare kicker. Wanted to fire it up to be sure it was going to run when I call on it, without any fuss. I've got it hooked up to the fuel and wire harness off the boat. You can see my main kicker in behind, still all apart, waiting for a couple parts before I can put it back together.

Sounds like a pretty healthy runner. Probably going to make it cry, waiting for the other one to have problems though. LOL

Oly

I’m waiting on a new oil pan as mine has a section with a bit of metal loss on the mating surface with the powerhead. It would be ok but I fugure I’m this deep into it I might as well take care of it now than have to tear it apart again in a few years. By then the part may be obsolete too. The kicker is 12 years old and owes me nothing so I hope by showing it some love now it will give me another 10-12 years when we can both retire.
You’re not retiring for another 10 years? Good for you

9.9 Yamaha, What a great feat of engineering. I wish every new fisherman would have to use a old 2 stroke kicker for the first year, Just to have some appreciation for how far things have come. When all you have to worry about is your gear makes for a much! more productive day.

Just wait and see how far we can still go when soon we all use electric kickers like Andrew P! No fuel, no noise, no valves and crank shafts anymore!

Nice work, Rollie. Surprised that Sherwood was too lazy for this bit of effort! Good on you for recognizing this potential.

Just wait and see how far we can still go when soon we all use electric kickers like Andrew P! No fuel, no noise, no valves and crank shafts anymore!

Nice work, Rollie. Surprised that Sherwood was too lazy for this bit of effort! Good on you for recognizing this potential.
I know, These young guys are spoiled. Its pretty awesome how far we have come. Seems like yesterday I was putting along in a fifteen foot open boat with my fishing pole in my hand and the tiller handle in the other. I love it.

Too funny because I recently found the same size and make of boat I had all through my teens when I fished from the beach in front our family cabin on Gordon's Beach. A 12ft Thornes. I bought it because I have also bought 3 parts motors to make one good one. They are all 9.5 Johnson Sportwins. The same motor I had back in the day on that boat. It was an Evinrude 9.5 but same thing just different paint. I have picked all the best parts with most coming from a low hour 1971 that needed a couple things. The worm gear rope starter was missing and the gearcase had a unseen crack from salt pushing out in an enclosed space. I have bought about $1000 worth of new parts which were still available....like oil seals, piston rings, rod and crank bearings, carb rebuilt kit, new fuel pump, t-stat, etc I'm going to media blast all the painted parts and re-do in the 1971 colours. The engine cover I have which is gelcoat over glass is mint. So I will be going old school in my retirement and will have fun restoring the engine to get there. All fun except getting the dam things apart without breaking salted in bolts. I'll need 10 years to get them all apart!!! lol

My first boat was a early eighties 15 ft Olympic with 40 Hp Yamaha and 6 Hp Yamaha. And I was spoiled.

Too funny because I recently found the same size and make of boat I had all through my teens when I fished from the beach in front our family cabin on Gordon's Beach. A 12ft Thornes. I bought it because I have also bought 3 parts motors to make one good one. They are all 9.5 Johnson Sportwins. The same motor I had back in the day on that boat. It was an Evinrude 9.5 but same thing just different paint. I have picked all the best parts with most coming from a low hour 1971 that needed a couple things. The worm gear rope starter was missing and the gearcase had a unseen crack from salt pushing out in an enclosed space. I have bought about $1000 worth of new parts which were still available....like oil seals, piston rings, rod and crank bearings, carb rebuilt kit, new fuel pump, t-stat, etc I'm going to media blast all the painted parts and re-do in the 1971 colours. The engine cover I have which is gelcoat over glass is mint. So I will be going old school in my retirement and will have fun restoring the engine to get there. All fun except getting the dam things apart without breaking salted in bolts. I'll need 10 years to get them all apart!!! lol

I still love the smell of a 2 stroke running. At least for the first couple minutes. A couple hours later I’m sure it would get old again. Used to fish out of my buddies mid nineties aluminum that had a 90 hp Force. That thing smoked like crazy always, ALWAYS. That wasn’t nice at all.

Oly

Back