Little B.C. fishing club takes on U.S. billionaire

+1 for the good guys. Interesting read, glad it worked out the way it did.

Hopefully the appeal goes nowhere.
Does anyone know the status of Corbette Lake?
Access was also closed there years ago by the Scotsman that owned the lodge.
I wonder if the Merrit boys will get that one opened back up as well.

https://www.corbettlake.ca/fishing/

I haven't been there since it was $35/day.
Looks like it is $100 now.
At the time I equated it to a paying to golf and felt it was worth it, since fishing was so good. Some of the brutes are/were handfed fish kibble nightly, so the fish close to the dock were huge, lazy and fish in a barrelly.
I didn't keep any.

The Merritt boys claim right of way from the highway thru the fence. Not sure the owner has the bucks to fight this ruling like the Ranch. They fished it a couple years ago as a publicity stunt to garner support for their case. I recall it was a peaceful, non event but did make the local news. And I saw holes in the ice this year when the lodge was closed meaning the public has been going in.

The Merritt boys claim right of way from the highway thru the fence. Not sure the owner has the bucks to fight this ruling like the Ranch. They fished it a couple years ago as a publicity stunt to garner support for their case. I recall it was a peaceful, non event but did make the local news. And I saw holes in the ice this year when the lodge was closed meaning the public has been going in.

Yeah right the guy that owns Arsenal football club doesn't have the money. Money is not a problem for this guy.

Ice fishing , did they ice fish those lakes before this . If not , they should keep them that way .

There used to be be good access to Corbett at a pullout on the highway with a cartop boat launch
McVey somehow had the public access closed and a fence put up even though the access was not on his property.

Someone with a D9 dozer should just plow a road off the beaten path into stoney and mini and just F*** the douglas lake owners. Its crown land you cant physically OWN crown land.

The way I see it and have read these lakes are smack dab in the middle of private property. I also agree that no one can own water it belongs to the people but at the same time I'm a strong believer in personal and private property rights.

But really I know little of the situation only what I have been able to find on line.

From what I have learned and researched the land that the lakes are surrounded by is a "Crown Lease" for grazing.
The DLR use to regularly pump water out of them in order to keep the grassland growing.
It doesn't matter if the lakes are surrounded by private land the case is, that the lakes are crown land and there use to be public access to them.
The public road that was built and maintained by the province was blocked.

I emailed the Merrit club to commend them on their efforts.
They asked that we support them and their efforts thru our local hunting and fishing clubs.
We really do need groups like this to fight for our right to access public lands and resources.
In our area ranchers are now restricting access to crown land thru grazing leases where I have hunted for 20 years.
Only them and their buddies hunt there now.
It will be as bad as the U.S. soon if we don't stand up.

It just shows you why most groups have decided the only way to deal with things is to go to court because DFO and the provence continue to put their heads in the sand on these issues.

good on the judge for slapping the provence with some legal bills.

Good on the Merritt club. If we the people of B.C. don't fight private enterprises from blocking public access to public lakes, rivers and forrest's it will be just like the estate hunting and fishing in Europe, only the wealthy will be able to enjoy it with the ability to keep the riff raft out. But then again the way FN land claims are going we had better enjoy the access that we have now because the way its going that will be gone. It made my heart soar like an eagle to see that the Province had to pay for half of the clubs the legal fee's.

Back