2019 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Nice webcam

PHRA has had it up and running since May. Thanks to Shaw for donating the connection!
It is 100% solar powered, imcluding the camera and modem. It has been upgraded to two 125 aHr batteries, and currently is online 6 am - 6 pm to save juice. Summer months it will be 24 hr. There is enough light from the streetlight to see waves in the dark if the tide is high.
Best part is the Amcrest camera was only $149 and has withstood these storms !

Hope you enjoy it!

Out today to keep the pistons rust free. Foggy-- but put the gear down off Kitty Coleman hump-- Boat has not been in the water since early November so it was a "find out what has died since it last ran ! " Only one small problem-- the brake on one downrigger had died. Dont you just love taking apart gear on the water ?? LOL. No big deal whatever. But the next problem was the lack of cooperative fish.. Two under-sized released . While I was off Kitty, I had 1/2 mile vis or better. But returning to Comox I had to run at 12 t0 15 mph in the pea soup fog. But still it was nice to finally get on the water. Fair number of trailers in the Comox lot-- prawns are being hit in Baynes Sound. If you find a couple of new traps drifting. let me know . I have the number of the guy that lost them around Deep Bay.

11- 230 kitty .Everything was great started trolling from the launch to the hump .mid way found a chinook on 4"602 ps 240 in 220 water .and engine stalled .As fast as could reel the fish swam right to the boat .a keeper of about 11 lbs,and shook the hook and lost.Got the lines back in and same plug same depth a under.wind started to build and engine would not stay low rpm ,so turned around .After checking fuel line I found some loose hose clamps and tried tightening and rusted clamp broke .now I am realy sucking air ,and with primeing i flooded motor ,so in on the kicker.one other boat south of hump in about 360"water.PICT0001.JPG PICT0001.JPG

Out today to keep the pistons rust free. Foggy-- but put the gear down off Kitty Coleman hump-- Boat has not been in the water since early November so it was a "find out what has died since it last ran ! " Only one small problem-- the brake on one downrigger had died. Dont you just love taking apart gear on the water ?? LOL. No big deal whatever. But the next problem was the lack of cooperative fish.. Two under-sized released . While I was off Kitty, I had 1/2 mile vis or better. But returning to Comox I had to run at 12 t0 15 mph in the pea soup fog. But still it was nice to finally get on the water. Fair number of trailers in the Comox lot-- prawns are being hit in Baynes Sound. If you find a couple of new traps drifting. let me know . I have the number of the guy that lost them around Deep Bay.
I pulled up a few extra traps with mine this moring No float on the line But Everything else is there Shoot me a message

J
I pulled up a few extra traps with mine this moring No float on the line But Everything else is there Shoot me a message
Just saw your reply-- it was a while ago-- but I will see if I still have the guys number. Thanks for coming forward.

Has anyone been out to jig herring this year. I missed it last year, and it was great fun for the kids The wildlife show is amazing, and my neighbors pickled herring is delicious Please let me know! Thanks

I'm going to try jigging up some herring tomorrow. Apparently there are plenty of herring around. Going to try a few places from shore along the old island highway that I've always done well at.

Boat is best. You can try off the dock at the marina that is between Mac's Oysters and the Fanny Bay Inn, although, I think it is a bit late for there. The only problem I have found in some of the areas where there herring spawn right up to the shoreline is that the slope is very gradual, and your gear hangs up, unless you can dip net them. That is a good option at the campground just south of the Deep Bay marina

Hey everyone....we spend most of the summer at Hornby and have a boat and crab traps....I've tried crabbing a few times without any success (besides some wicked star fish). Not looking to steal anyones spots, but if there are crabs out there, can someone point me in the right direction??

Learned a bit about jigging herring last two days. I am sure most may already know. In a past year we had drifted in shallow water in an active spawning area and got quite a few just flicking a treble hook through the water. Went out and tried to fish in the active spawn this year and found it was slow going.. and that a sabiki rig was useless in the shallow, milt clouded areas. A treble would get the odd fish. Moving offshore, away from the active spawning was definitely the ticket. Today right off Comox harbour was amazing. It was literally impossible to get the home made sabiki to sink more than 15 feet out in 100 feet of water before it was picked up by herring. Had up to 5 at a time on 5 hooks. There was a consistent band of fish staging off the big spawn that was ongoing on the Royston waterfront.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back