Important Victoria & Area SFAB Halibut Mtg Nov. 27

So no answer then. Ok By all means keep coming up here and chipping away at my disappearing quota.
Jencourt unless i am miss reading your posts, you are against Americans catching your fish??? If this is the case give your head a shake, how many American springs do you think we intercept in our area. If it wasn't for their hatchery production we would have been shut down for springs years ago ( oh and don't use Alaska as a point as all the other states involved have the same opinion of Alaska's fishing practices). If they want to come to our country and by the license spend their hard earned American dollars so be it. They put a lot of money into our economy and do not use our social services. Plus how the hell is Seregentiguide supposed to make all the cash he makes in a summer ( :) just a joke SG ). I am sure a lot of the guides have many American clients, i know i sure did when i guided, so lets not even go there. If i am not reading your posts correctly i apologize other wise totally disagree.

Having area specific seasons and regs makes so much sense to maximize the beneficial access to a limited quota it is really perplexing that it hasn’t been explored more robustly. Generic, coast-wide regs/seasons make sense when there isn’t a quota issue but name me any of the other key targeted species - whether it be salmon, lingcod, rockfish or even prawns and crab, that have the same regs and season coast-wide? They don’t, and area specific regs/seasons not only address area specific conservation concerns w/out penalizing the rest of the coast, they allow input to the regs and season that make the most sense for the local fishery.

In the past I’ve heard arguments against this because of the complexity and/or against asking for more regulations. In regard to the former, that argument doesn’t hold any water given how every other aspect of our fishery is managed and, regarding the latter argument, it doesn’t get any more ridiculous than the rec sector requested “experimental” slot size that we’ve been stuck w/ ever since despite no experiment or data collection occurring to test it!

In any case, the real interesting discussions will begin once the IPHC meetings occur in the new year and quota allocations are adopted. If folks want to follow or participate, here’s the link to the IPHC website:

https://www.iphc.int/

Cheers!

Ukee

ive been saying this for 6 years ,
must be that time of year to restock on Vaseline....
atleast i still got %100 of my Oilers :)

fd

I am just looking for info as I hear this come up in conversation with people. Lots of them being Alberta family that come
Out to fish actually I understand about the American fish. Just trying to gain knowledge so I can have an informed conversation about this . So ya you may have read more into it than intended.

Thanks for asking and not just assuming.

Cheers

Last edited:
I'm still coming over to halibut fish. Even if I have to have stizzla take me.
Hey now! We don’t know that I’m terrible at halibut fishing... never done it! (Yeah, I’m probably pretty bad at it)
I did catch a 7lb bass on my first ever cast for bass so you never know.

Jencourt unless i am miss reading your posts, you are against Americans catching your fish??? If this is the case give your head a shake, how many American springs do you think we intercept in our area. If it wasn't for their hatchery production we would have been shut down for springs years ago ( oh and don't use Alaska as a point as all the other states involved have the same opinion of Alaska's fishing practices). If they want to come to our country and by the license spend their hard earned American dollars so be it. They put a lot of money into our economy and do not use our social services. Plus how the hell is Seregentiguide supposed to make all the cash he makes in a summer ( :) just a joke SG ). I am sure a lot of the guides have many American clients, i know i sure did when i guided, so lets not even go there. If i am not reading your posts correctly i apologize other wise totally disagree.
I could be wrong, but is not the fact that Canadians catch American hatchery fish while Alaskans catch Canadian wild fish all part of the allocation calculation done at the Pacific Salmon Treaty? I thought that’s where this was all balanced?

I cut my first response off too soon. Should have included the following

To answer the question in black and white. No I am not against them coming here to fish. Am I open to a conversation about the impact and possible ways of reducing that impact while still maintaining the relationship we have now? Yes I am.

Cheers

Fore all the dedicated people who are fighting. What is the end goal in a few years? A season like Washington? Some have already suggested 4 annual. Keep this same annual fight until nothing? There is a pattern already formed and we (halibut sporties) are playing into their game. Why not STOP right now, draw the line, get the real issue to the front and see where it goes, yes a real **** storm in July with no TAC, a DFO mandated season or MORE TAC. I see a chance for change with **** hitting the fan. I see no halibut fishing soon if this annual reduction keeps on happening. Am I the only one who sees the DFO game? Nog and others are correct..

HM

To answer the question in black and white. No I am not against them coming here to fish. Am I open to a conversation about the impact and possible ways of reducing that impact while still maintaining the relationship we have now? Yes I am.

2018 Halibut Fishing Regulations Issued for SE Alaska
Posted on March 26, 2018 by Fred Cooper
Well, the halibut regulations for SE Alaska waters are finally available and after some rather historic deliberations are pretty much the same as 2017. That is, if you are a non-guided sport fisherman. You are not so lucky if you are a commercial fisherman with an IFQ or fishing on a guided charter. The 2018 catch for commercial and guided charters in Region 2C, which is all of SE Alaska, has been reduced by 15.2%. Like a lot of people, I can’t understand the reason for the reduction when the catch size has been steadily improving for several years. Apparently, there is still some concern for the health and abundance of harvestable halibut stock.

What was interesting, when this year’s annual (IPHC International Pacific Halibut Commission) meeting was over January 26th, was no consensus being reached for catch limits. So for only the second time in 94 years, the United States and Canada went ahead with their own management plans. NOAA Fisheries stated they intended to be consistent with the limits and measures proposed by U.S. Commissioners at the IPHC meeting. Thus, their issuance of a rule with levels lower than 2017 and incorporating tighter charter management measures.

The NOAA Interim Final Rule revises regulations applicable to the charter halibut fisheries in Area 2C (Southeast Alaska) is as follows: Charter operators will have a one fish daily bag limit, with a reverse slot limit that allows retention of halibut under 38 inches, or greater than 80 inches, with no annual limit. Note, Charter vessel operators who choose to participate in the GAF (Guided Angler Fish) program can allow their clients to retain two fish per day.

For non-guided sport fisherman, the daily bag limit is the same as 2017 or two Pacific halibut of any size per day per person unless a more restrictive bag limit applies and no person may possess more than two daily bag limits. The rules for filleting, possession, and transporting processed halibut are particularly important and all fishermen should be aware of these rules and use common sense and comply. The fines are hefty and enforcement can be multiple state and federal agencies. Ignorance of the NOAA rules, which are not published with the Alaska Fish and Game regulations, will not get you “off the hook.” If you’re looking for the latter, they are supposed to be published the end of March.

Hey now! We don’t know that I’m terrible at halibut fishing... never done it! (Yeah, I’m probably pretty bad at it)
I would come over just to fish with you.

2018 Halibut Fishing Regulations Issued for SE Alaska
Posted on March 26, 2018 by Fred Cooper
Well, the halibut regulations for SE Alaska waters are finally available and after some rather historic deliberations are pretty much the same as 2017. That is, if you are a non-guided sport fisherman. You are not so lucky if you are a commercial fisherman with an IFQ or fishing on a guided charter. The 2018 catch for commercial and guided charters in Region 2C, which is all of SE Alaska, has been reduced by 15.2%. Like a lot of people, I can’t understand the reason for the reduction when the catch size has been steadily improving for several years. Apparently, there is still some concern for the health and abundance of harvestable halibut stock.

What was interesting, when this year’s annual (IPHC International Pacific Halibut Commission) meeting was over January 26th, was no consensus being reached for catch limits. So for only the second time in 94 years, the United States and Canada went ahead with their own management plans. NOAA Fisheries stated they intended to be consistent with the limits and measures proposed by U.S. Commissioners at the IPHC meeting. Thus, their issuance of a rule with levels lower than 2017 and incorporating tighter charter management measures.

The NOAA Interim Final Rule revises regulations applicable to the charter halibut fisheries in Area 2C (Southeast Alaska) is as follows: Charter operators will have a one fish daily bag limit, with a reverse slot limit that allows retention of halibut under 38 inches, or greater than 80 inches, with no annual limit. Note, Charter vessel operators who choose to participate in the GAF (Guided Angler Fish) program can allow their clients to retain two fish per day.

For non-guided sport fisherman, the daily bag limit is the same as 2017 or two Pacific halibut of any size per day per person unless a more restrictive bag limit applies and no person may possess more than two daily bag limits. The rules for filleting, possession, and transporting processed halibut are particularly important and all fishermen should be aware of these rules and use common sense and comply. The fines are hefty and enforcement can be multiple state and federal agencies. Ignorance of the NOAA rules, which are not published with the Alaska Fish and Game regulations, will not get you “off the hook.” If you’re looking for the latter, they are supposed to be published the end of March.

Ya I am aware of what was done there. Thanks. The negative in it that I see is that as mentioned much of canadian guide clientele is Canadian folks. So this would be adding yet another two teared set of rules for the folks that the resource belongs to. would it not?

Ya I am aware of what was done there. Thanks. The negative in it that I see is that as mentioned much of canadian guide clientele is Canadian folks. So this would be adding yet another two teared set of rules for the folks that the resource belongs to. would it not?

Yeah I don't like it, but perhaps rather then guided you could have different regulations for non-resident

Yeah I don't like it, but perhaps rather then guided you could have different regulations for non-resident

I think we would need to measure the savings to TAC for different options if we where to consider something like that. Some may not save a lot unless the numbers are high.But ya thoughts like that maybe need to be looked at more in depth.
I wondered about non residents having to access TAC from xrq? Assuming it could be set up to only allow them to fish under same rules as us. Because that would save the most TAC ( Maybe) Again just thoughts to roll around in the old bucket.

Al this said, it is still dealing with a lack of allocation not correcting the lack of allocation

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply jencourt no offense taken or implied to you. We are in for a tough battle and my butt is sore and not from the colonoscopy i had yesterday :)

I'm sure you would do well at Hali fishing. It's not rocket science

Might want to look into how much the commercial boys have left in the water for the last say 8 years and how much they are "allowed" to carry over . you all need to get ALL the facts right guys , been fighting this for 20 years and im telling you right now your not going to win . big business rules the roost with dumb dumb back there ...good luck with your fight about time people got up and made some noise... you have a huge hill to climb

Might want to look into how much the commercial boys have left in the water for the last say 8 years and how much they are "allowed" to carry over . you all need to get ALL the facts right guys , been fighting this for 20 years and im telling you right now your not going to win . big business rules the roost with dumb dumb back there ...good luck with your fight about time people got up and made some noise... you have a huge hill to climb

Actually was just talking about that yesterday and also How much was still in freezers at start of 2018 season. Was going to try and see what was left at end of this year un caught to add to my next letter. Thanks for reminding me .

EXACTLY! We are going to continue to get crushed by the commercial interests until WE get a strong lobby behind us which costs a TON of $$$

$10/yr from just half of license holders is $1.5M ... gotta engage them and make them feel they have a voice, which they don’t currently have. Also, what about all the guide, lodge, restaurant, hotel, gas station, tackle stores, manufacturers, etc, etc that we’re always hearing about that contribute the 10’s of millions to the economy we’re always quoting? Surely they have a stake in these issues worthy of backing w/ a fraction of their profits (which presumably shrink or disappear as opportunities disappear)?

Fundamental issue is all of this together has the potential to be a much more powerful lobby, both in terms of $ backing and political votes than commercial fishing. Crux is it is all just potential if it’s not engaged!

Cheers!

Ukee

EXACTLY! We are going to continue to get crushed by the commercial interests until WE get a strong lobby behind us which costs a TON of $$$

That and the fact that we don’t blindly lobby for tac. We often fall on our own sword for conservation.

Just look at what the commercial industry is saying about IFS steelhead. They are just rainbow trout and their is tones in our lakes so who cares if they go extinct.

If we want to keep fishing for chinook we may have to have some lobby like that. Who cares about the Fraser stocks theirs still lots of chinook in the ocean.

Their already talking about non retention and a mark selective fishery for chinook.

The hail merry right now is let’s kill seals and hope their eating up as much of the tac as we think they are.

If we were the commercial industy we would be lobbying hard to smash cowichan chinook stocks look at the tac we let spawn the last two years. Instead we’re like maybe it’s a flash in the pan let’s wait and see a few more years.

In fact if we were the commercial industry right now we would be getting 500 bucks from our licence holders to take DFO to court because we did not use all our Fraser sockeye tac. Like area E gil netters are doing

Back