What to do when buyers don't show up?

Cookie's Cutter

I am loosing faith in human kind. Trying to sell a few things online and it seems like at least 50% of the time, when someone says they are coming to look at the item they never show up.

I once shook hands with a grown man (around 50 years old) seemed well dressed and honest and agreed to sell him my motorbike. He said he was going to the bank to get the money and he never came back. Vanished.

It seems like I waste so much time trying to sell stuff, I might as well take it to the dump.

It's the day and age.....I have tried selling a couple things on Craigslist and it's not worth the hassle.

Time to go back to Kijiji maybe. We are moving and have sold a lot of stuff through there. All great people, very little no shows and almost no haggling. Might have something to do with the northern clientele but we have had nothing but positive experience.

Oly

I'm pretty straight when I'm selling. Show when you say you will or it's gone to the next guy. When I'm buying I insist on calling when I'm 1/2 hour or so away. No fun when you show up cash in hand and no seller is home.

Some people's children ........

I am loosing faith in human kind. Trying to sell a few things online and it seems like at least 50% of the time, when someone says they are coming to look at the item they never show up.

I once shook hands with a grown man (around 50 years old) seemed well dressed and honest and agreed to sell him my motorbike. He said he was going to the bank to get the money and he never came back. Vanished.

It seems like I waste so much time trying to sell stuff, I might as well take it to the dump.
Unfortunately, there is not much one can do about those that say the yard coming and do not show up. I have bought and sold many items on CL and have started to find FB marketplace better right now. I take the position that if I price an item fairly it will sell soon enough and I simply want it gone, I lower the price.

As far as the case where someone shows and expresses interest i.e. going to the bank, why not ask for a deposit to hold it? 10% may be enough to hold them accountable.

Varage sale is becoming big in Victoria, not sure about the mainland. There you give each other “praise” for good transactions. If the person is a flake, you know it going into it. CL and Used should do that too.

Varage sale is becoming big in Victoria, not sure about the mainland. There you give each other “praise” for good transactions. If the person is a flake, you know it going into it. CL and Used should do that too.

You've gotta be on FaceBook to use that...and I'm not.

I know Varage Sale is quite regional too. My coworker uses it sometimes. Tsawwassen is HUGE on Varage Sale, whereas North Delta it's pretty much dead.

In that case you could ask for a cash deposit on the spot. If the "buyer" won't give a cash deposit then they're not really serious

You've gotta be on FaceBook to use that...and I'm not.

I know Varage Sale is quite regional too. My coworker uses it sometimes. Tsawwassen is HUGE on Varage Sale, whereas North Delta it's pretty much dead.
I didn’t know that you need Facebook. I’ve never had it either. She uses Varage Sale, I used used Vic.

fun fact: my wife calls this forum “Fishbook”

Since I retired I’ve been clearing out my garage using CL and Used Van. I’ve sold 10 items approx. There are a lotta d bags out there. One word of advice, if they start asking you to lower price before they come see it, don’t respond at all. Secondly I transact in my rear alley not the house. Kinda like a dope dealer. Lastly. Almost every guy is always $10 short. I don’t have the correct change. Trying to grind you to the end. I don’t **** around. Pay me it all or I’ll chuck it out.

I dont show anything unless they bring cash in hand, just like when I sold my big project truck for 15K I told the fellow who eventually bought it " I dont mess around and want cash in hand before I pop open the door if not dont show up!" that guy that did buy it brought 15k cash, and a truck w/ trailer. I wont even open up the doors to my shop for people unless they prove to me they have the goods.

Since I retired I’ve been clearing out my garage using CL and Used Van. I’ve sold 10 items approx. There are a lotta d bags out there. One word of advice, if they start asking you to lower price before they come see it, don’t respond at all. Secondly I transact in my rear alley not the house. Kinda like a dope dealer. Lastly. Almost every guy is always $10 short. I don’t have the correct change. Trying to grind you to the end. I don’t **** around. Pay me it all or I’ll chuck it out.

Yup, I never ever meet anybody at my residence. Even when selling two separate cars and several dirtbikes I always met at a public place. A bit more hassle for me, but I don't want some nosy flake seeing inside my garage or around my place.

I have found selling on buy an sell, Craig's, etc. to be a lot of work. Ya the types that ask for price reduction before they see it really try your patience. I sometimes think of the story of the wooden golf club for sale at a garage sale for $2. Customer wanted to haggle so owner broke it in half and threw it in garbage! Ha!

I like varage sale for the fact that you need a Facebook account to login, and you can also leave feedback after every transaction, you can also report people as no shows or a variety of other reasons if they don’t follow the policies that they have in place.

I've bought and sold many items on CL in the Vancouver area and the island. Yes people are flaky and don't show up and don't respond to emails etc. But I just accept that and I don't go out of my way to meet anyone. When selling, they come to my house and if they don't show, no problem to me. If they show up then its a bonus!

Also if you want to sell, then be professional about selling. I laugh at the ads that set up selling rules like: "emails that have no phone number will be deleted", "no time wasters", "low ballers will be ignored", "don't ask if it is available".

If you get an email, you have a lead regardless of what they say in it. I've had people who send the most ridiculous emails and then don't respond for a week and then they actually buy! I sold one of my cars to a guy who didn't respond and then I followed up 2 weeks later and then he bought.

You might try this: When you take the initial call from the prospective buyer that want's to come and see it, tell him OK , but you have 2 other buyers that are coming later today. If you get here first it's yours, I can call them back and tell them it's sold. When he shows up and want's a better price, just say no thanks, and remind him that if he doesn't want it, there are other buyers waiting for you to call them . Now you have created a sense of urgency, and if he want's it, he better get here now. You have also established that you don't need to adjust the price. Other people are waiting.

I have sold hundreds of things on Craig's List ranging from a few dollars to over $300,000 for a house. It just takes one person.

same idea, i use the already have a deposit on X amount agreed. example i am selling my dog for 500.00 i have already accepted an offer of 300.00 with another buyer that has already given me 10% returnable, and that i have to X amount of days to find a better buyer.. that way i get a minimum offer over the holding price. make sense? it helps weed out the tire kicker low baller POS's that some shoppers can be.

same idea, i use the already have a deposit on X amount agreed. example i am selling my dog for 500.00 i have already accepted an offer of 300.00 with another buyer that has already given me 10% returnable, and that i have to X amount of days to find a better buyer.. that way i get a minimum offer over the holding price. make sense? it helps weed out the tire kicker low baller POS's that some shoppers can be.

If you fed me that line of b.s. about a refundable deposit, I wouldn't even bother showing up.

I may try the Varage Sale site and tell them there are other people lined up to look at the goods. At least I could sleep at night knowing I wasn't a complete shyster.

Last edited:
Back