2018 Nanaimo Reports

Hello everyone, I am newish to the area and might try fishing out of Nanaimo this week, launching at the Brechin ramp. From what i am reading i guess the go-to spot is around the Finger Isls? Any tips/tricks for me? Ive only been fishing for a couple seasons now and havnt yet fished on this side of the straight.

Thanks!

Hello everyone, I am newish to the area and might try fishing out of Nanaimo this week, launching at the Brechin ramp. From what i am reading i guess the go-to spot is around the Finger Isls? Any tips/tricks for me? Ive only been fishing for a couple seasons now and havnt yet fished on this side of the straight.

Thanks!

In the spring fish in front of Five Fingers and Neck Point with green spoons @150 ft in 350-1000 ft of water

In the summer fish the structure around Five Fingers, Entrance Island and Neck Point with green spoons. For chinook, fish the bottom 20-30 feet in water 80-140 feet deep with 6 foot leaders.

Tide changes are typically the most productive time to fish

If you just moved to town, I would highly recommend stopping by the Harbour Chandler and they can set you up with all the required equipment.

Last edited:
Slow morning today, few wild coho and some shakers. Hopefully the night bite was better. Surprised how fast the coho Fishing has diminished over the last week. Went from catching 20-30 in a day to just a few.

Spent three hours out last night on flat calm water. Lots and lots of boats. Most were around the fingers and then spread out. Sad to say we caught nothing of interest. Two shakers and one undersized wild coho. Didn't see any action at the cleaning table. Hope others were more successful

I apologized for delay in writing my report...I went fishing Tuesday night in the beautiful calm waters.
Released 2 wild coho and finally kept 1 hatch. Not much action after that, so I switched to a purple haze hootchie with 34in leader. About 10 min. after sunset, we hooked an undersized Chinook on the hootchie side (thanks Unreel, my new leader length seems to work) and while we were busy releasing it without touching the fish, the other rod started to bent. We landed a 13 lbs spring. We were in the bay between Hudson rock and the Clark warning light. 65 on the DR over 100ft of water. For the late night snack, I have a habit to offer fresh anchovies and it worked again that night. Most boats were already at the dock. There was only 2 other boats left with us. I find that springs will often bite just before it gets dark. They move up to shallow water, close to structure or in a bay. Same strategy early in the morning, before sunrise.
If you go at night, try to stay a bit longer and don't by shy to move up into 75 or even 50 ft of water. If you go in the morning, get your line in the water at first light.
Good luck and have fun.

Very interesting I am up here now and am still fishing south island. We fish different than you guys do. I am curious to see if some of same techniques can be used. Our fish in south can be very shallow and sometimes close in. Primarily this time of year I tend to use anchovies as well. I don't see why this couldn't work the same in fall time. I know you guys fish 100 to 200 ft down for everything. I will have a steep learning curve...lol interesting though biggest fish we lost at Thrasher was 80ft. That was in June though... still proves they can be higher up the water column. The dawn and dusk scenario probably works the same.

If anyone lost a trailer part today, drop me a line describing it and I'll get it back to you.
But for fishing report: lost a beauty sized Chinook that took 3 good runs before shaking the hook off Clark Rock. Irish cream at 75 feet. Pretty sure this might have gone into the tyee category. Other than that, a few wild coho released and small shakers.

Fished out front between Clark rock and the fingers yesterday. Few springs between the two rocks on green splatterback hoochie at 65 feet. Fair number of coho by the fingers in tight to the rock found a couple hatcheries in the mix 50-70 on green hoochies trolling fast.

Went out yesterday evening from 6 to 8pm. Trolled around Fingers, Hudson and Clark light. A few bait, not much action. Tried assortment of tackle. The only 3 hits came on anchovies. Nothing in the boat. Saw only 3 other boats out there. Great calm ocean, great company in the boat. Beautiful BC!

Does anyone target Chum off Nanaimo? If so, same gear as Brown's Bay, etc? Any intel would be appreciated.

Thx

I tried last year and they don’t bite. Only commercial with nets can scoop them up. I was told it is better to go to Brown’s Bay.

Fished saturday night. Bait was scattered and not much for birds. No hits and not much on the sounder. P

Does anyone target Chum off Nanaimo? If so, same gear as Brown's Bay, etc? Any intel would be appreciated.

Thx
There was a guy getting them a few years back around Hudson Rocks. If it’s a good Chum year it’s definitely worth the trip to Browns Bay. Doubles, Triples, and bruised stomachs.

Back