Westport WA August 23, 24, 25 Albacore Report

Dogbreath

Fished the Tornado with a group from Alan Tani's reel repair board-great group of anglers, very experienced and the Captain & crew of the Tornado were outstanding in every way I can't imagine better service or more dedication to putting us on the fish they even bait your hook!

Ocean conditions ranged from rough as guts to fair/some large swells but overall dying winds through the day.

Sadly I spent the first night spraying puke over the back deck/got no sleep to speak of so had a slow start to actually fishing.

Fish were scattered in small schools we'd catch one one the troll then maybe a live bait fish over & over no real hot bite at all-ended up with about 30 fish for 10 guys-the boat splits the catch evenly between anglers.

Any questions put them here I'd be happy to answer.

A few pics

Last edited:
Fished the Tornado with a group from Alan Tani's reel repair board-great group of anglers, very experienced and the Captain & crew of the Tornado were outstanding in every way I can't imagine better service or more dedication to putting us on the fish they even bait your hook!

Ocean conditions ranged from rough as guts to fair/some large swells but overall dying winds through the day.

Sadly I spent the first night spraying puke over the back deck/got no sleep to speak of so had a slow start to actually fishing.

Fish were scattered in small schools we'd catch one one the troll then maybe a live bait fish over & over no real hot bite at all-ended up with about 30 fish for 10 guys-the boat splits the catch evenly between anglers.

Any questions put them here I'd be happy to answer.

A few pics

A little confused with the dates, did you fish all three days or just one.
Some great pictures, but sorry you got sick, maybe the oysters?

Board boat evening of the 23rd, slow run (only makes 12 knots or so) out to the grounds anywhere from 30 to 90 miles out depending, fish first light to last light then slow crawl home arriving in the pre-dawn hours on the 25th.

I think it was the Poke I had later or that's what it looked like sprayed on deck-also I think advanced age combined with living in a smokehouse for days prior didn't help much the air finally cleared around Everett where it had actually rained.

Three guys actually never left their bunks until late in the afternoon they never threw up but sure looked pale & drawn.

Board boat evening of the 23rd, slow run (only makes 12 knots or so) out to the grounds anywhere from 30 to 90 miles out depending, fish first light to last light then slow crawl home arriving in the pre-dawn hours on the 25th.

I think it was the Poke I had later or that's what it looked like sprayed on deck-also I think advanced age combined with living in a smokehouse for days prior didn't help much the air finally cleared around Everett where it had actually rained.

Three guys actually never left their bunks until late in the afternoon they never threw up but sure looked pale & drawn.
Thanks for clearing that up, makes more sense to to this old senior. Sounds like a real fun trip. Are you feed meals
on the boat, or do you pack your own food, and lastly what is the cost of a trip like that, including, or not
including the tip, oh and what port and state was the trip out of? Sure would like to try that. ......BB

Looks like a fun trip but bummer the fishing was slow. Hopefully it picks up in the next couple of weeks as I have a trip planned with All Rivers and Saltwater Charters on the 14th.

Bring your own food/drink & there's a microwave.

People pretty much live out of their personal coolers there's enough room.

Well it sounds like you made the best of it. Fishing has been hot and cold for tuna out of WP this summer. Hopefully hot next weekend when I am there. No matter how the fishing is we always manage to have a good time on the water and on shore in Westport.

I admire all of you who go out that far, must be exhausting, not to mention if you have to drive home and deal with the border. Great report Dogbreath. You sure roll the dice on these Albacore trips. I don’t think I could do it, but the pics sure get the fishing juices flowing.

@Dogbreath i am looking at a tuna trip late September out of westport. Have ypu ever fished that late?

@Dogbreath i am looking at a tuna trip late September out of westport. Have ypu ever fished that late?

Fishing is often good into Oct. I went out of Oregon in Oct a few years ago and the day prior most boats did well. We didn't do so well but that's how it goes sometimes. Maybe the fish start becoming more spotty in their feeding as it gets later in the year, I don't know. I'll be planning a trip out of Westport at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct if I can't get anything going up here. Good luck, post a report.

If you want up to date reports on Washington tuna, Check bloodydecks Washington website.

Thanks Guys! I need to go to Washington to get the tower installed on my boat. Once I have a date then I can try to find a tuna trip. I will let you know how I make out

Last report was very good, And very close to shore.
Yup, closer water, mixed sizes and numbers off Oregon and Washington (and BC I suppose but info is limited). But I was curious about his experience specifically since I noticed he was supposed to be out today. It should probably be in a different thread than this one.

It was very slow fishing. Only got 14 and the average size was pretty small. Most of the fish came on the troll. Tried a dozen or so times to convert on bait stops but never really got any of the bait stops going.

Back