2018 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Good and bad again for me at the Hump this morning - good was catching lots of fish - bad was they were either dogfish, or undersized (just!) springs.
Tried shallow, deep, in-between but nothing keepable no matter what I did.
Dogs were very annoying - kept speeding up until I swear I was back on the plane again. Lots of them even finning on the surface.
3 humpbacks were also in the area again.

I Awake 530and check the pt homes web cam .with the overload what may ibe i find myself with glimpes.i watch at the tides we are having .two mornings i have seen V formations and over five mornings i have seen 2 smalls fish jump.early bird gets the worm.

Yes I check that one before I head to kitty .theres 3 dots in the top right of monitor (goggle customize the size of view to 500%)reset the frames per second .I thaught I had posted bates site before.good one thanks for the link.

Okay, fair enough. Here is what happened:
On Saturday we headed out to the hump. We just got both balls down, Bob see’s the one down rigger wire is frayed and decided to bring the ball up for repair, not a good start to our first fishing derby. Trying to keep the vessel in the wind so Bob can fix the line, I look over my shoulder and see the lure dragging behind the boat. I said best put that rod in a holder before a salmon gets it. He nods and continues to work on the down rigger wiring. You can imagine what happens next. I hear him yell, the rod! Hurry turn the boat! I look over for the rod and there it is in the water, bobbing and a salmon attached, flopping on the surface. I make this really poor attempt at turning the boat towards the rod and loose sight of it, creating swells, and of course we have a line in the water and a ball banging the side of the boat. I think they call that a gong show. By the time I get the boat towards the rod once again, it’s completely gone. Complete silence in the boat there after. I didn’t need to say a word and there was no point adding salt to the wound. We just had to make the best of the rest of the day, hoping our rotten luck will change. As it turns out, we never did catch another Coho or Chinook. Just motored around, hoping to catch anything. Out of frustration, I posted in the Vancouver Island Salmon Fishing group. If you see a rod and reel at the hump, you can keep the salmon attached to it ! Of course I got alot of replies, like, "Oh, bad deal”, and “how big was the fish”. I thought, who knows, maybe someone will catch it. There had to be about 30 boats out there working a tight circuit.

This morning (Wednesday)at work. I get an email from my husband at home, he says someone posted in the BC Fishing Saltwater forum, that someone caught a rod and reel at the Kitty Coleman hump. I just about jumped out of my skin. I knew it was mine!

I logged into my account and replied to the forum. Next thing you know, I get messages from other people who saw my post on facebook too. A person in Vancouver island group is a member of the Campbell River Fishing group. He gave me the name of the person, who then finally messaged me. I gave him an in-depth detail description of the fishing rod and reel: He replied lets meet!
I can’t believe it. Our fishing disaster turned into a happy ending! This is why its invaluable to be part of this fishing forum and groups, had I not signed up, I may never had gotten the notification about the found rod. Thank you everyone! And on a happier note, my husband doesn't have to buy me a "make up rod and reel", he is off the hook :p
I heard that story in Whistler. It was a friend of mine who got your rod. Pretty amazing!

Finally got some fishing in today. Tried the Pt Holmes area but nothing happening. Headed to Kitty Coleman and within 10 minutes we picked up a spring and a wild coho. Anchovy down deep was the answer today.

Out again at Kitty. Great weather but no salmon. Started jigging with a mudraker jig with some bait. Pulled up a small halibut and released. No fish to take home but it was just a nice day on the water.

Well, got out for a couple hours today and managed to find a nice red winter spring. Near Pt. Holmes at the bottom, sandlance spoon.
Also, might be a subject for another thread, but also got to try out my new SeaQualizer. Hauled up a reasonable sized china rock and quickly dropped it back down - although as it turned out apparently too quickly - as once I brought the rigger back up and was hooking my line back on, pop goes the weasel and the fish appeared by the side of the boat again - oops. Netted it and then tried Plan B, which seemed to work - set the trip for 150' - drop it down to 100' - let sit for 5 minutes or so, then down to 150. Brought it back up with no fish, and just for kicks/giggles stayed around for a bit longer to see if it would re-appear, but was all good.

Attachments

• 20181119_141807.jpg
    20181119_141807.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 112
Got out for another couple hours at Pt. Holmes today (seemed like it has been months) - driving down to the Comox marina ramp was patting myself on the shoulder thinking I'm going to be the only "real" fisherman out on the water, everyone else are lightweights - turn the corner - hmm, not so much - apparently me showing up at the Crack O 10am makes me the lightweight as there was already 3 other boats out there. Who knew I wasn't the only nutbar. Although made me feel slightly better as when I got back, there was a couple more trailers there that had obviously done the Crack o Noon plan.
Only a couple shakers to show for it, but good to get back out on the water none the less.

Managed to sneak out to Lazo yesterday afternoon. Only caught a couple small ones but was sure nice out there. Anyone fishing Kitty these days?

Managed to sneak out to Lazo yesterday afternoon. Only caught a couple small ones but was sure nice out there. Anyone fishing Kitty these days?
Hi Ken, this is 2018 reports threads. Please repost in 2019 and you’ll get answers

Back