Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

cohochinook

Just got this emailed to me:

Fisheries and Oceans Canada and the Parks Canada Agency have now posted the proposed version of the amended Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales (Orcinus orca) in Canada on the Species at Risk (SAR) Public Registry. These populations are found in the Pacific Ocean. The amendment to the Recovery Strategy includes identification of two additional areas as proposed critical habitat following recent scientific research1 and science advice2 and clarification of the features, functions, and attributes for proposed and existing critical habitat.

Section 7 (Critical Habitat) of this document is now open for public input on the SAR Public Registry for a 60-day comment period (concluding November 3). During the 60-day public comment period, further regional opportunities will be provided to discuss and provide information on the proposed critical habitat, including the description of the science advice underlying the identification of the new areas. These additional processes will be identified through future emails.

Following the completion of the 60-day public comment period, the proposed amended Recovery Strategy will be finalised, taking into consideration the comments received, and published as a final document on the SAR Public Registry.

The proposed document can be found on the SAR Public Registry.

For further information on the science advice that supports the proposed critical habitat, please see:

Species at Risk Program

Pacific Region

Fisheries and Oceans Canada

200-401 Burrard Street, Vancouver BC V6C 3S4

Telephone: 604-666-7907

Facsimile: 604-666-0417

Yup same here....
Looks like, if they follow through with these closures, I've fished Bamfield for the last time..
Glad i was able to fish the Charlottes as well when i did..
FN joke!!!

My buddy is now talking of getting his status card, which he is entitled to but is soo dead against, with all thats going on it might be the only way to go sportfishing and catch a "wild" fish for dinner

Did we not already comment and send letters in on this can someone explain what has changed or what new is happening.

Did we not already comment and send letters in on this can someone explain what has changed or what new is happening.
I think what's new is the official public input period. Previously there was urging to contact MPs and the fisheries minister about the proposed areas, but not the official call for input.
If that northern zone were implemented some of the most expensive lodges in BC could go out of business. Of course they are also catching tens of thousands of chinook per year between them so perhaps indirectly it would help the Southern whales as more chinook would make it South.

I think what's new is the official public input period. Previously there was urging to contact MPs and the fisheries minister about the proposed areas, but not the official call for input.
If that northern zone were implemented some of the most expensive lodges in BC could go out of business. Of course they are also catching tens of thousands of chinook per year between them so perhaps indirectly it would help the Southern whales as more chinook would make it South.

I look forward to see what the engo,s urge the public to do on this file

The Northern zone is very key to the plan!!!!! it means more salmon will make it to there spawning rivers after 4 - 5 years in the ocean so they can be netted.

Man oh man...people giving the most back to the industry and resource are getting creamed by administrative overrun. A bunch of people siting in board rooms deal with the symptoms instead of the issue itself.

This is all they have to offer.

sport fishers have privilege...aboriginals have rights. We come last.

Slapping the hand of those who offer the most.

By order of the PMO's office..... eff all scientific about it , nothing more than political posturing and pandering.

I would like to see some more complete DNA analysis on the stocks caught at each location.

The data sets they are basing their stock composition on (observed kills by RKW) is very very small and (likely) over several years.

Having fished up at Langara in the past, the guides have said the residents will take a halibut off a line...so it seems the Northern Residents aren’t as picky when it comes to Chinook like their southern cousins.

They also are not experiencing the population decline of the SRKW (quite the opposite).

044718AF-1AAF-4636-A396-E455D5F69D30.png

How about this for common sense. The more we help the northern population grow beyond their present historical high population, the more fish they will require, the more they will eat and the less that will be available to the downstream southern residents. That isn't rocket science...just the fricken truth. WTF are they doing?

You had better get your input in as this is open to the public. You do understand that there will be a lot of input from the other party’s.

The longer this goes on with no pushback the stronger they get and the weaker we get. As they close areas, people quit fishing, at least some do,and everyone of them who walks away weakens our voice. You can’t appease these people, the more you give, the more they take. If anyone thought that the initial closures were going to spare them, all I can say is what colour is the sky in your world.

Take the time to write the local politicians. Ask the Candidates in the upcoming Federal election where they stand! Ask the incumbents what action they’ve taken. Let’s make it an election issue.

How about this for common sense. The more we help the northern population grow beyond their present historical high population, the more fish they will require, the more they will eat and the less that will be available to the downstream southern residents. That isn't rocket science...just the fricken truth. WTF are they doing?

Your making the assumption that people actually want to eat salmon when the truth is a lot of these ENGOs don’t include human consumption into their models. Nature should balance itself.

Humans have alternative food sources like kale smoothies and avocado toast.

The SRKW main food sources used to mainly
Be US origin chinook.

Doc 1 looks like a collection of old studies including at least one put together by a crew of seasick undergrad marine biologists who received a grant to pay to have a large boat/ship drive around in a random pattern hoping for RKW encounters. There are no black dots (SRKW) at Rat's Nose.
How do we throw the whales a bone without some compromise by their spokespersons? Give us back Otter to Sheringham, Pender Bluffs, and leave La Perouse and Swiftsure alone, but for only 10 months?
15 instead of 30 chinooks??
It's all about optics. We need to let them think they are winning.

All I can say is its over guys can me a downer but they hammered away at area 19/20 for 11 years now I saw this coming way back when and I fought and fought for help and alot of responses were "its not in my back yard" or "why is it called SVIAC it should be named this ............. instead" best one was "it will never get to us so quit your whining".
Well now its here and I wish you all the best in fighting it , we did the DNA and guess what they ignored it Rollie and I got our results and there wasnt alot of BC fish in the mix so THEY did not base this on science its all political.
THEY will not listen to you! did you see they stated in one of the letter "NO PUBLIC MEETING" that tells you right there what there plans are ......
I personally am moving on redirecting my career made that decision to go another way as fishing is done for us after 32 years of guiding I thought I would never say these words. IF we even have a season next year ill wait and see..

I hope the best for you in the battle .
Good luck wolf

Finally someone gets it. Exactly. 3 times the historical number in population size.

Back