Status
Not open for further replies.
Out Saturday, lines in at Sandheads at 0715, out in 500 feet of water west of the pack. First sock to the boat in about 10 minutes only to have it swim around back and cut the leader on the trim tab. Depth was 50 ~ 60, tried 90 for while, nothing there.
Action was pretty steady, lots of hits (lost count of pin poppers) but for some reason they wouldn't stick for us. Found a school just when we had to leave, lost one and boxed one in 5 minutes. Unfortunately... had to leave them for the afternoon shift. Ended the day with 4 in the boat.
*All blue - 3 dummies - glow head hoochies 32" leaders. Going to shorten some leaders for next trip.

Off to Bamfield for a week and a bit! Good luck with the sox guys. Hope they're still around when I get back.

Nth arm flat water 4 in boat with gear at 50’ Green flasher, purple onion, and some uv purple as well. 5 single hits in 300-350 water between 6.30 and 7.30. Heading home as my buddy couldn’t come this am.

Out Saturday, lines in at Sandheads at 0715, out in 500 feet of water west of the pack. First sock to the boat in about 10 minutes only to have it swim around back and cut the leader on the trim tab. Depth was 50 ~ 60, tried 90 for while, nothing there.
Action was pretty steady, lots of hits (lost count of pin poppers) but for some reason they wouldn't stick for us. Found a school just when we had to leave, lost one and boxed one in 5 minutes. Unfortunately... had to leave them for the afternoon shift. Ended the day with 4 in the boat.
*All blue - 3 dummies - glow head hoochies 32" leaders. Going to shorten some leaders for next trip.

Off to Bamfield for a week and a bit! Good luck with the sox guys. Hope they're still around when I get back.
I’m heading out to Bamfield Thursday let me know how you make out

. Pretty ridiculous we have such a beautiful coast with so little options for pull and park overnight spots for launching around Vancouver.

‘‘Tis unfortunate but it would turn into a campground at Vanier. On any given day there are a dozen campers/vans parked on Kits Point with people who live in them. The city can’t do much or don’t do much despite many residents asking for something to be done. There is a truck camper that has been parked around the corner from my house for 2 weeks now in an area that is not permit or 2 hour parking.

Back to reports....sorry for the hijack. ;)

A bit of a contrarian post. It was hard to believe how good the spring fishing was at Sandheads yesterday. The much better half and I pulled up the sockeye gear yesterday a.m. as I was getting just a wee bit frustrated (not sure what it says about distorted expectations during a sockeye opening when 3 sockeye is frustrating). We moved in a little tighter and dropped anchovies to 65 feet and immediately picked up a 20 lb marble and then 13 lb red that was bright chrome with the brilliant blue and purple back of a prime winter spring (such a beautiful fish). We then stopped with the anchovies and put the sockeye gear back out in the same area and in short order hit another couple sockeye, carefully released a spring between 23 to 25 lbs (yes, the fish wasn't touched by either a net or a hand), and got hammered by a 30lb plus freight train that gave me the rush of the day before very thankfully spitting the hooks at which point we pulled the lines up and headed home, I with a very large smile on my face.

Fished Friday from 4:30-8pm at Sandheads from #2 road launch and Sat 8-11:00am at NA from Vanier.
Launching, retrieving and parking was good at both. Thanks to those who PM'd. Fishing was slow, then triples and doubles, then slow again. Definitely less schools than 4 years ago, but I didn't have time to find them either. Fun times with the wife, then the kid. Looked like some solo big springs outside the SH green can at 120'. Sockeye fever and time kept me from trying down there. Rain City, my elite 5 works pretty well.
Might come back Sept 7. I had scent, binoculars, and a 5th rod ready to sub in, but failed to use any of those when I should have. Senile. Next time.

. (not sure what it says about distorted expectations during a sockeye opening when 3 sockeye is frustrating).
It's funny that you say that. My friends and I had to take a minute to remember how lucky we were yesterday to have 8 fish! But it's the damn social media effect of having to limit for every guy on board. Or maybe it's the skunk days that made me want some redemption. Scary though how quickly you can go down that greed hole and forget how lucky we are.

As for the reports, Tiger **** the bed and my coffee is cold. I think I'll move to the kitchen and make a brine.

Last edited:
My son and I finished the day with 6 big sockeye and we are more than happy about it. Sure we could have kept two more but 6 is enough. We also put back a big 9 or 10lb sockeye that had turned already. Fishing NA, 600' and 60' down.

We also hooked into 5 small spring about 8" in size.

So how about the whale watching boats all well inside the 200 metre limit this morning chasing the small pod of whales all the way out the harbour and herding them off the North Arm while DFO tells us we can’t keep more than one Chinook ? Some were inside 200 feet at one point.

What a crock of ****.

Wild Whales Vancouver
Prince of Whales
Steveston Seabreeze Adventures
And another firm.

********!!!

Forgot to add:

I called the ORR line as DFO is the authority responsible for enforcing the 200 metre buffer.

If you see this, PLEASE report this stuff when it happens. If you check out these companies Instagram, Facebook Pages, and Twitter accounts they have plenty of pictures up since the new reg came into effect where they are in violation of the reg. Fancy lenses on cameras or not....it is clear....these whalewatchers are scofflaws.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back