Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I may of seen you out there. Were you running 4 rods? Saw a guy going solo and hit 3 fish pretty quickly and pack it in. We were out in the blue king Fisher. Landed 3 sockeye, lost 3 and landed a few undersized springs.

Yes, I was running four rods solo (which may have been kinda entertaining to watch as I was trying to reel, net, navigate, untangle, and reload while the fish kept hitting), and yes I did see a blue King Fisher (and I think a red one too.) I passed a boat like yours and the guy asked which way I was going. I pointed and then said I wanted to go where the fish were. He smiled and said that would be somewhere other than where he was going.

Got our 8 at sandheads 1-6 yesterday. Most of them were outside of the pack. Up to the north. 30-60 ft. Green flashers. The unaltered hootchie did better than the ones I clipped some legs from .

Vanier is usable on any tide even the lowest of the year. Ya you might have to get your vehicle wet but if it's a 4wd who cares. Spray it off after with fresh water. The west launch is steeper so if low tide and you have a 4wd just put it in 4 low to pull out. No problem even on low tide.
Even on the lowest tide there's still end of the dock area to tie up to. If you have to back in deep with a 4wd keep the engine running so the exhaust doesn't plug with water. If you have a 2wd don't go on the sand.
Launch and pull out my 30' er there all the time, any tide, any time of day. But if you overstay you will get a parking ticket so be prepared to pay. No overnight parking but if you do they don't tow you they just ticket you.

Vanier at the lowest tide of last year. Still room at end of dock to pull out on the sand with 4wd...

View attachment 39792
I launched my Catalina 22 sailboat (22') with much deeper draft (the trailer wheels have to be completely submerged so my boat can float) than most of same size power boat in this condition, without backing my truck off the ramp. The way I did is, I have a wheel mounted on the trailer tongue, the winch has long enough wire, so unhook the trailer from the truck while the trailer is connected tightly to the truck by wire through the winch, then just push the trailer down the beach as far as the wire can go. Retrieval is just the reversed procedure. I had a photo somewhere in my computer, will try to find and post it next time. I find this way very safe, very controllable and very easy - thanks to the shallow gradient and sandy beach. If you think my way helps, I would appreciate if you don't mind I asking you a few stupid salmon fishing gear setup or type of lures questions. I have fished a few times with friends, even from my sailboat out at sand head, but not experienced on salmon fishing.

Updated this post with a photo. the black arrow indicates the wire if you can not see it clearly. The trailer is disconnected from the truck, and what I need to do is just to unwind the winch and the trailer will roll down. Retrieving is the reverse procedure - 1. pulling out the wire long enough to connect to the truck, then just crank up the winch on the trailer, and it will climb up the beach onto the ramp. Hope this helps.

Sorry, I try to insert a photo but the system keeps reporting an error. Anybody knows how to post a photo?

Last edited:
How much is the overstay fine and how much for the overnight fine?
Sometimes it’s just better to pay the fines than mess around with doing it the right way!?
I've been ticketed more than it costs to pay for the day of parking but what I do now is keep the phone number for the pay parking company in my boat and call them the next morning if I have parked there overnight and pay for the next day over the phone with credit card. They enter it in their system as paid so the lot attendant guy can see you've paid for the next days parking when he comes by via their online system. If I end up being where there's bad cell service I've gotten my wife to call in for me the following day too. Has worked well so far doing this. Have no idea why they don't let overnight parking go on there. I've never seen that lot full of every spot with trucks/trailers there yet. So it can't be because of space availability. Pretty ridiculous we have such a beautiful coast with so little options for pull and park overnight spots for launching around Vancouver.

Great day on the water yesterday at Sandheads. 5 of us in the boat and ended a few shy of our limit including a nice 15lb red Chinook. Conversion rate was very good - we only lost 4 or 5 fish one of which was another line screaming Chinook. We had two teenage boys as part of the group (age 14 & 16) who battled all but a few of the fish and did a great job. We managed to go 6 for 6 on two triple headers so I knew it was going to be one of those days where everything lined up just right :).

No secret recipe - same as many others are reporting - pink squirt hoochies behind chartreuse, red, & pink flashers with 2 dummy flashers per side. Flasher colour didn’t seem to be significant. Most were caught with the downrigger at 100’ but fish are all through the water column. Took about 90 mins to find the school but it was massive concentration of fish once we were on it. And the school seemed to hold in the same general area the whole time.

Good luck out there!

Was at sandheads limited out by 930 that included an at least an hour of f**king around with a commercial trap both downrigger and 4 lines in it. Only lost one flasher.

Yes, saw one out there yesterday fishing out deep.

curious if that trap is the one just off the green can? There seems to be a trap that's been there a couple weeks now and on a strong ebb tide the float (which is a ring of small white floats) gets submerged under water. Seen a few guys get hung up on that recently including some in the chinook classic derby last weekend. Surprised no one has cut the float off that crap trab (set of trap by comm/FN I should say) as it is in a terrible location given the shipping/rec/comm/green can/tides. Legally, they are entitled to drop their traps there I'm sure but it's a total dick move, especially considering the float they use is insufficient to be seen on strong tides.

On a fishing note, sandheads was pretty good to us yesterday for sox on the early morning ebb.

Was at sandheads limited out by 930 that included an at least an hour of f**king around with a commercial trap both downrigger and 4 lines in it. Only lost one flasher.

curious if that trap is the one just off the green can? There seems to be a trap that's been there a couple weeks now and on a strong ebb tide the float (which is a ring of small white floats) gets submerged under water. Seen a few guys get hung up on that recently including some in the chinook classic derby last weekend. Surprised no one has cut the float off that crap trab (set of trap by comm/FN I should say) as it is in a terrible location given the shipping/rec/comm/green can/tides. Legally, they are entitled to drop their traps there I'm sure but it's a total dick move, especially considering the float they use is insufficient to be seen on strong tides.

On a fishing note, sandheads was pretty good to us yesterday for sox on the early morning ebb.

No it was just on a white jug float commerical trap. Didnt even see it with all the waves.

Been fishing NA to QA for the last 2 hours and not even a bite yet. Among 30 or so boats only 2 boats got into fish. Very calm and nice though.

Tried there this morning and bell at noon. Nothing but a couple of grill Only saw 2 nets. Nobody in shallow tho. Everyone at the tide rip

Rough ........ No pun intended to the morning off Sanheads....... Sheesh that was nasty for a while.

Managed our full limits again...... All pink and silver attraction theme. Good ol Googly a Eye was hammering EM. Others on pink mini hootch with glo head . 40 to 60 feet.
Happy to see the Commercial Troll boys finally getting a wack at them. Those crews work hard . They appear to be doing well. Caught most 350 to 500 ft range. A few off the green can.

Good luck everyone. Enjoy this opportunity for some great table fair and fun on the water. Play safe.
HT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back