2018 Port Renfrew Reports

just came back,beach is ok I would say,most boats seem to get a couple with some getting 4-5,right place and time seem to be the norm,nothing hot by any means I would say,day to day changes, fish don't seam to old in big numbers, east point was good for some if fishing there is your thing.SOXS is on fire if you want to fill your box
Sox far out?

Just got home, got 2 springs low 20s at east pt. This morning. Went for sockeye at about 1030 had a couple double and triple headers kept 6 lost at least that many.

Fished renfrew Sunday Monday! Sunday we headed for camper creek first thing in the am saw a couple nets fly but seemed pretty slow decided we would head to swiftsure found some decent fish out there silvers were not huge 6-8 pound average our biggest one was 12.6 my hats off to you fellas Washington dosent offer limits like you guys get!

Are seasons are going so quick in puget sound area 9 king season lasted a whopping 11 days this year neah bay started the season with one chinook per day limit two fish and we still got shut down almost a month early

Are seasons are going so quick in puget sound area 9 king season lasted a whopping 11 days this year neah bay started the season with one chinook per day limit two fish and we still got shut down almost a month early
Yep closing faster every year it seems. They just closed area 10 south of Kingston ferry. Turning up the output in the hatcheries will help, but won't see returns for the next 4 to 5 years. What kills me is the whales are targeting blackmouth and that's a man made stay at home fish. Just makes one wonder if a whale needs aprox. 400 pounds a day to live and there's how many in puget sound? Shutting our season down early would only feed them for a couple days. Closing an area a month early, 400 lbs × how many whales? A day. Recreation fishing doesn't come close to those numbers. Sorry to say it and I'll probably get kicked off the site.....but is the cumulative fishing of the tribes and Comercial fishing. And the 3000% increase in the seal population.

Yep closing faster every year it seems. They just closed area 10 south of Kingston ferry. Turning up the output in the hatcheries will help, but won't see returns for the next 4 to 5 years. What kills me is the whales are targeting blackmouth and that's a man made stay at home fish. Just makes one wonder if a whale needs aprox. 400 pounds a day to live and there's how many in puget sound? Shutting our season down early would only feed them for a couple days. Closing an area a month early, 400 lbs × how many whales? A day. Recreation fishing doesn't come close to those numbers. Sorry to say it and I'll probably get kicked off the site.....but is the cumulative fishing of the tribes and Comercial fishing. And the 3000% increase in the seal population.
Norman you won’t get kicked off for saying the truth. I would be long gone by now for saying the exact same thing you just did!

I agree gentlemen, but lets start with the white elephant in the room. Every Chinook salmon that swims into Juan De Fuca Straight also swims through the North Pacific, Gulf of Alaska, and down either side of the Queen Charlottes (Haida Gwaii to you youngsters). If DFO wants to increase Chinook numbers in South Coast waters, should they not start by increasing the escapement numbers from the North Coast?
Closing areas and reducing catch numbers on the South Coast and ignoring what is going on on the North Coast is akin to finding someone with a severed finger and putting the bandaid on the severed finger rather than on the stump on the hand!! I flew to Sandspit last week via Air Canada and over 50% of the flight cargo was fish boxes ( two flights a day, 7 days a week). And lets not forget that many lodges have thier own flights so we never see those fish moving through the airport. I was personnaly disgusted with what I saw. What a way to treat a resource.
It may be time for some serious changes to lodge rules.
To me it seems pretty simple, you want more Chinook for the starving Orcas of the South Coast, let more escape the North Coast.

Also...... let us not forget that DFO's own study shows over 80% of salmon caught in the Gulf of Alaska, are fish destined for BC, Washington, Oregon and California rivers. TIME TO ACT?!

Just an Old Mans thoughts.....

Fished Renfrew Thursday and Friday, Thursday was a bust, released several small Springs and bonked one bleeder at 5lbs. Saw one other fish netted.
Friday was quite a bit different, out at 5:30 and nothing until 8am, then crazy for an hour or so. Lost a screemer, boated two around 20 and then out and added two Sockeye.

Bit of a lump both days, no wind.

What is the legallity of dipping Sockeye from the DFO siene purse? Saw several charter boats do this and then share the results amoung several boats.

Thoughts?

Fished Renfrew Thursday and Friday, Thursday was a bust, released several small Springs and bonked one bleeder at 5lbs. Saw one other fish netted.
Friday was quite a bit different, out at 5:30 and nothing until 8am, then crazy for an hour or so. Lost a screemer, boated two around 20 and then out and added two Sockeye.

Bit of a lump both days, no wind.

What is the legallity of dipping Sockeye from the DFO siene purse? Saw several charter boats do this and then share the results amoung several boats.

Thoughts?
Whoa, is that for real, if so throw the book at them, disgusting behavior. They need to get over the limits of everything way of thinking, pathetic.

I agree gentlemen, but lets start with the white elephant in the room. Every Chinook salmon that swims into Juan De Fuca Straight also swims through the North Pacific, Gulf of Alaska, and down either side of the Queen Charlottes (Haida Gwaii to you youngsters). If DFO wants to increase Chinook numbers in South Coast waters, should they not start by increasing the escapement numbers from the North Coast?
Closing areas and reducing catch numbers on the South Coast and ignoring what is going on on the North Coast is akin to finding someone with a severed finger and putting the bandaid on the severed finger rather than on the stump on the hand!! I flew to Sandspit last week via Air Canada and over 50% of the flight cargo was fish boxes ( two flights a day, 7 days a week). And lets not forget that many lodges have thier own flights so we never see those fish moving through the airport. I was personnaly disgusted with what I saw. What a way to treat a resource.
It may be time for some serious changes to lodge rules.
To me it seems pretty simple, you want more Chinook for the starving Orcas of the South Coast, let more escape the North Coast.

Also...... let us not forget that DFO's own study shows over 80% of salmon caught in the Gulf of Alaska, are fish destined for BC, Washington, Oregon and California rivers. TIME TO ACT?!

Just an Old Mans thoughts.....

And one set from a comercial boat would probably equal all those fish. So why would you want to punish or restrict all those people and businesses rather than a few boats and half a dozen people in the comercial sector. At least here people are getting in a boat, paying huge cash to go catch a few fish for themselves. Not a half a dozen people on a couple boats extracting large volumes of fish. Which area is more valuable to the enocomy and guess which one of stopped would have a bigger impact on escapement.

Just my opinion on the matter is all.

One set would equal all those fish?

Sorry, not even close.

All those clients leave next to nothing in the local economy, planes fly from Vancouver to Sandspit or Masset and then out to the lodges via helicopter. Sure, the lodge owners make a bundle, but what does Sandspit, Queen Charlotte City, Skidigate or Masset see? Even the lodges right in Sandspit keep their clients within their doors.

Not saying we need to close any lodges, but just like the inside waters of VI, one fish per day would be a start.
The recreational sport fishing industry (lodges not included as they are clearly commercial in nature) put more money into the resource than anybody else, should they not reap the rewards before anyone else?

Chased socks today.
6 for 16, gotta put hooks on next time.

Fun trip with a good buddy.
Me and the wife chase soxs sat and sun, sitting at the ferrie with 9 soxs and 3 hatch job coho, lost as many soxs as we landed but thats the way it goes with soxs

Back