What a difference a day makes.
Yesterday flat calm and quick limits with double and triple headers.
Today nasty rough and a grind to find some sox.
fished 5:30-8:30 and only boated 3. Lost 3 others at the boat in the washing machine water.
At least they were big.

fished 5:30-8:30 and only boated 3. Lost 3 others at the boat in the washing machine water.
At least they were big.
Tips I had exactly the opposite results. Yesterday out 530 TO 930 and got 3 sockeye and one spring (we had problems with lots of small springs).
Today out at 530 and had 7 sockeye by 615.We released a couple and kept our 8th and done by 715. We fished pretty well the same area both days but we obviously were on the school today instead of shakers like yesterday.
...Rob

Out in the slop this morning and found them just off the bluffs in the super slop, had a double on and omg the kicker stops:eek: got them both in the boat and soon discovered I have a new way of catching socs lol
hah!!!! that's like where you be heading? lol

At least they were big.

We found a little patch of calmer water outside of you after we passed you but that was gross this morning early. We did fairly well limited out on sockeye.20180809_090834.jpg and back at dock at 9.

Just wondering how long the sockeye usually stick around. Haven’t had a chance to get out and won’t have a chance until late next week !

Just wondering how long the sockeye usually stick around. Haven’t had a chance to get out and won’t have a chance until late next week !
Eight years ago the main run lasted for 2-3 weeks. In 2014 it never happened because they all went thru Johnstone Strait. So this peak year, we could be lucky and have a similar year to 2o10, or if part of the run goes the other way, then it could end soon. Who knows?o_O

Last edited:
Even though I fish in Sooke for 9 years already I never targeted sockeyes in Sooke yet. This morning I tried it and was out at 5:15am. Right from the start I had non-stop action on my rods. But that wasn't caused by sockeyes. Instead I got slammed with millions of shakers. That went on for one hour constantly reeling in one rod, get the shaker off, rod back down, next rod up, ... After one hour plowing through countless shakers there was indeed one sockeye. Later on I got another one and also lost a few. I might have had 6 sockeyes on in total and got 2 in the boat. I also caught a 10 lbs chinook which was a bit of a surprise. Anyhow it broke the line next to the boat.
I fished like all the other boats between 300' and 450' of water. Downriggers were down 15' at the beginning to down to 55' at the end at 8:15am when I called it a day.

Back in the days when work would interfere with fishing we would have success in late afternoon and evenings so im sure with the better weather coming next week you could find some action late in the day
Agree with Pachito, Back in 2010 that big sockeye run would bite on and off most of the day. I don't what is causing this "shut down at 8:00am" effect we are seeing in 2018.

Agree with Pachito, Back in 2010 that big sockeye run would bite on and off most of the day. I don't what is causing this "shut down at 8:00am" effect we are seeing in 2018.
Could be the amount of bait that's available to them, where in 2010 it wasn't available

While targeting chinook on Wed around noon at Beechy head we had a nice Sockeye take our chovie. Thought it was a pink at first.
I failed to put in my report so here's a quick. Finally buddy and I got our limit woo hoo. Out of Cheana early using small anchovie on tiger prawn and chrome bottom Joanne. Most of our hits were in Pig Bay, landed an 18 and missed another big one but had a blast in the calm waters and sun.

Attachments

• IMG_1073.JPG
    IMG_1073.JPG
    519.4 KB · Views: 106
Tried to fish sockeye from 530 till 830, didn't seem like they were jumping into anyone's boats;). Heard several people on the radio with nice springs by 9am; guess my plan was all wrong.

Fished from 300'-500' of water 20-60' deep with red flashes and small pink squirts. Had a nice one lost trying to flip into boat 5 min in (thought it was going to be hot, hind sight being 20/20 should have used the net). Then it was 15 or 20 small jacks, the odd pink and only another two sockeye at the boat. Did anyone have any luck with the sockeye this morning. If so any tips?

Might have tried fishing the walls for a slab but it was a little rough and my 7 year old fishing buddy had been feeling sea sick all morning. Maybe back tommorow.

If the spring fishing is hot any reccomendation for flasher/spoon combo?

Fished from 6-1 today. dumped the gear in at Aldridge and trolled to the island. picked up 2 nice springs at the trap about 7:30 on green Skinny G's. Trolled out to the fleet that was fishing off Secretary for Sockeye but nothing for us. Seemed very slow today, we never saw anyone catch anything out there. Great day fishing with my buddy and daughter.

Fished from 6-1 today. dumped the gear in at Aldridge and trolled to the island. picked up 2 nice springs at the trap about 7:30 on green Skinny G's. Trolled out to the fleet that was fishing off Secretary for Sockeye but nothing for us. Seemed very slow today, we never saw anyone catch anything out there. Great day fishing with my buddy and daughter.
What size were these nice springs?

Out in the slop this morning and found them just off the bluffs in the super slop, had a double on and omg the kicker stops:eek: got them both in the boat and soon discovered I have a new way of catching socs lol

Lol that's unreal,, once in a lifetime that there.

If coming from Cobble hill area where would be good place to put the boat in the water around Sooke?
Thanks

Sunny shores on Sooke Basin and Cheanu in Becher Bay are both good places to launch for a minimal fee. If you want to brave the crowds and lack of parking you can launch at the Prestige in Sooke.

Back