Surveyor needed interior bc

bigdogeh

Hi guys
I'm having a heck of a time trying to find an accredited surveyor for my boat for insurance purposes. (Boat is 17 years old)
I live in Kamloops and the boat is laid up in Kamloops also.
I've asked multiple insurance companies locally and have had no luck. They don't know if any surveyors at all.
Is it possible to get insurance to travel the boat if I have to take it to the mainland to get a survey? I'm starting to think that might be my only option....
Thxs for any and all responses.
BigD

Thxs BCRingo!
I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Hey, BCRingo. That first link worked out and I have an appointment for friday morning. Thxs very much for the link and tip! I've been trying for awhile to find someone and he is accredited.
Have a great day and thxs again. Very appreciated!

Hey, BCRingo. That first link worked out and I have an appointment for friday morning. Thxs very much for the link and tip! I've been trying for awhile to find someone and he is accredited.
Have a great day and thxs again. Very appreciated!
You’re welcome! Glad it worked out for you.

boatsurvey.ca he is local but Tony travels if needed, great guy and first accredited marine surveyor in Canada and ex CG hovercraft captain,
he knows his chit

thxs for the links guys. I've made a txt doc with all these names. You never know when a person might need a survey. Isn't it usually required every 5 years after the age of 15 years? guess it depends on if the insurance company requests one or not...

Well I got my survey finished. Boat surveyed well with no problems found. 37 pages long and estimate of it's value is almost double of what I paid. Good in some ways for resale but makes my insurance go up over $400. :eek:
Now I went to get insurance and the insurance company is asking for an engine inspection since I put in a new engine on one side. (work done by myself)
Anyone have any idea's of what an inspection entails? And where I should try to get one? Would you think it needs to be at a marine place or could a place that deals with diesel engine repair suffice? They only suggested one place in town but when I phoned them they said they didn't work with diesel engines.
I asked the insurance lady I'm dealing with but they don't even seem to know. I don't want to have to do this and then find out it wasn't what the underwriter required.
Anyone else have to go through this or anything similar?
I work with a red seal heavy duty mechanic. I can't see why he wouldn't be able to do an inspection, but not sure if that would be acceptable to the insurance people...
I went online to see what a typical inspection entails and it's fairly straight forward... not really rocket science for a mechanic...
Anyone have this done and curious as to what it's basic cost was.

Have you tried a different insurance company/underwritter? Not all of them have the same requirements and you might be able to shop around for better rates/coverage too.

Have you tried a different insurance company/underwritter? Not all of them have the same requirements and you might be able to shop around for better rates/coverage too.

Kinda funny, but I mentioned that with my current agent and she said that every company is going to ask for an engine inspection with me having a new engine.
But I just went online with boatsmart (a Canadian co. based out of the Ontario I believe and arranged insurance in about 5 minutes.... They were super simple to deal with. They didn't ask for a survey and I questioned them on that and they mentioned they don't require a survey until the boat is 20 years old. Insurance is through lloyds of London.
They were about $70 more than what was quoted by my insurance company but I get 2 million liability rather than 1 million for that seventy dollars. And I don't need an engine inspection.

https://www.boatsmartassure.com/

I haven't committed yet as I asked them to send me the policy to look over, but from what I've read so far everything looks pretty good.

Last edited:
Kinda funny, but I mentioned that with my current agent and she said that every company is going to ask for an engine inspection with me having a new engine.
But I just went online with boatsmart (a Canadian co. based out of the ontario I believe and arranged insurance in about 5 minutes.... They were super simple to deal with. They didn't ask for a survey and I questioned them on that and they mentioned they don't require a survey until the boat is 20 years old.
They were about $100 more than what was quoted by my insurance company but I get 2 million liability rather than 1 million for that hundred dollars. And I don't need an engine inspection.

https://www.boatsmartassure.com/

I haven't committed yet as I asked them to send me the policy to look over, but from what I've read so far everything looks pretty good.
Great! Another reason to shop around and get quotes from different brokers. Ive persinally fond that statements like that from a sales person MUST be validated as they all try to push you into a deal.

I’ve used Dolphins Marine ainsurance for the last few years and am quiet happy with them. They are a local BC company and work with some of the best underwirters. For my last two boats they didn’t ask for an inspectiin but I temember when I started with them a few years ago they asked for a courtesy vessle check which was a breath to get from a Power Squadron inspector.

Good luck with your insurance shopping!

Well everything went well and I'm insured again... :)
Interestingly I'm insured for 50 nautical miles offshore :D
Might be time to think about chasing some tuna...hehe

Back