2018 Port Hardy Reports

Any fish showing up Port Hardy way. Will be in Telegraph Cove last week in June.

Hey Guys,

Haven’t been on the water a lot as of yet and the weather has been the *****. 2-4 meter swell makes it tough to get anywhere to fish. There are some fish around in the usual spots.

The local fishing has been good, boys limited out yesterday right in the bay.

Bait has been working as well as coho killers but that does change daily depending on what’s missing bing through

Out yesterday at Duval from 730-10am. 3 springs to the boat between 8-14lbs. Saw lots of action in other boats. Didn't have any luck with the ho's, only a couple of shaker springs too.

Was at Duval yesterday morning shooting a promo for FishBC. Gear in the water at about 7, hooked into 8 springs in an hour and a half, all 18+

Had to keep two that were bleeding, the rest released

Chovie was hot, 7 of the 8

Bait was so think the sounder blanked out

No need to venture very far

Was out this morning for 4 hrs. Decent bite came on around 0630. Lots of guys hooking up. Picked up one chinook around 15lbs. After the morning "bite" there were still the odd guy hooking into a chinook and a few decent coho to keep busy. Couldn't get my second chinook but picked up a 6lb wild coho. Tons of boats out there, a bit of a gong show, but there were fish being caught.

Port hardy was on fire for us. Honest to god, didnt need to leave hardy bay for nice springs. Limited on springs at the mastermans and west side of hardy bay for three days of fishing. Limited on wild coho( back side of gordons and mastermans). 70 ft down was hot depth. Anchovie bulletroll, gold nugget skinny gee, and herring aid coho killer, all worked equally well. Too many fish caught and released to count.11523.jpeg

We came back with a bunch of fish from our trip last week. Limits of springs and Yellow eye, must have caught 15 hali, released 4 between 50-85 lbs, ling was a little slower than usual.

Springs were on the small side this year, lots of 8-10 lbs we weeded through. Too early for coho so none came home.

The Seaquilizer worked awesome, a permanent addition to the boat.

Interestingly enough, got checked twice in the first 3 days on the water; dock side by the CO's and RCMP, who looked at our licences, fish and trailer lights, but no safety gear or boat operators lic. Second time was on the water by the Officers from the Coast Guard boat, who showed up just as I hooked a good hali. They proceeded to check lic and check our fish we had. had a good chat with them and they were impressed that we had our **** together....apparently not a lot of people do.....the hali measured 120 cm and was released just as they left. Was good to see them on the water.

Cheers

SS

We came back with a bunch of fish from our trip last week. Limits of springs and Yellow eye, must have caught 15 hali, released 4 between 50-85 lbs, ling was a little slower than usual.

Springs were on the small side this year, lots of 8-10 lbs we weeded through. Too early for coho so none came home.

The Seaquilizer worked awesome, a permanent addition to the boat.

Interestingly enough, got checked twice in the first 3 days on the water; dock side by the CO's and RCMP, who looked at our licences, fish and trailer lights, but no safety gear or boat operators lic. Second time was on the water by the Officers from the Coast Guard boat, who showed up just as I hooked a good hali. They proceeded to check lic and check our fish we had. had a good chat with them and they were impressed that we had our **** together....apparently not a lot of people do.....the hali measured 120 cm and was released just as they left. Was good to see them on the water.

Cheers

SS
I'm always happy to see DFO and the coast guard or police out on the water making their presence known. How did that go measuring and releasing a 120cm fish with them alongside? I only ask because I've seen a borderline fish go either way once it's killed and dragged aboard. Let's be honest 5cm is a very small measure especially trying to make it while leaning over the side of a boat.

I'm always happy to see DFO and the coast guard or police out on the water making their presence known. How did that go measuring and releasing a 120cm fish with them alongside? I only ask because I've seen a borderline fish go either way once it's killed and dragged aboard. Let's be honest 5cm is a very small measure especially trying to make it while leaning over the side of a boat.

It's is actually quite easy: The fish did it's usual to the top, then to the bottom and repeat. Once it was along side the boat, we tail it with a rope and let it fight another battle. Once she was along side, we lay the harpoon on top to see if she is close. She was so we take the trusty measuring tape and get the best we can for a measurement. Three measurements gave all around 120 cm. To big!! We gently took the hook out, I grabbed the rope and her tail, removed the rope and moved her around until she started to give me some kicks. One good push and off she went to the deep. All this was caught on video as well.

It was nice to see the enforcement out and about. It is the third time we have been checked in the last two years. What is weird is that the PH office has 3-4 officer in town, but have never seen them. Instead, it has been the RCMP Marine Patrol and CO's from Port McNeill who did dock/ramp checks and the CG DFO officers from the Tully on the water.

Cheers

SS

Back