Fished Saturday morning with my son.
Kept 1 around 14lb. Lost a line screamer. Released a few small ones.

Fished Sunday with daughter. Kept 4 up to about 10 lb. Lost 3 that felt decent. Released countless fish 3-6 lb.

Bite was early then quiet from 8-11.
Then on again 11-1.
When we left at 1 yesterday we were getting a fish on every pass. So were the 2 boats near us.

Nice weather and good times with the kids. Sad DFO and our Government does not see the value in this quality time spent with family enjoying our Canadian heritage and resource.

Tips

Fished Sooke Saturday from 7-11 with the wife and kids.
We had 1 bite which ended up being my wife's biggest fish to date at 17lbs.
Caught on anchovy at 70ft.

I fished first time this year at Otterpoint on Sunday morning. Got the first Chinook at about 7am but lost it at the boat. Then the next one at 7:30am that took a lot of line. It just kept running and was not willing to slow down. I thought already I just found the missing south resident orca. Ended up being my biggest chinook so far with about 40" length. Sadly this was a wild fish and had to be released. There were also a lot of small feeder springs to be had in the 3-4 lbs class around noon. So at the end of a my fishing day I went home with an empty box but with some great memories.

So nice to be forced to fish in tight quarters in the big ebb current undertow, slop and weeds off the east side of Otter while the water between Otter and 3rd rock are flat calm and clean. But you know those whales who have been in that refuge area a total of 4 times this year might show up and those Raincoast (Ditsy Mcduffee) types think we need to keep our 9.9 trolling motors out of there. Well at least quiet a few of the visitors on the charter boats are doing their best to feed the whales their breakfasts.

Fished Aldridge to the Trap Shack and back on Sunday. Not even a sniff on our lines. Still a good trip as the purpose of the trip was to make sure the boat and equipment are in good shape for our annual Nootka trip, which is next week. Got stopped by Fisheries while we were taking the boat out of the water. They checked our licenses and fishing gear and let us know that there would be increased enforcement this year.

Fished Saturday Head to Aldridge. One bite. Landed an 84cm-17.5# chromer with brand new 8# fly rod and AP herring spoon. Quality over quantity my new approach. Not to mention beautiful day on the water.

Fished Saturday Head to Aldridge. One bite. Landed an 84cm-17.5# chromer with brand new 8# fly rod and AP herring spoon. Quality over quantity my new approach. Not to mention beautiful day on the water.
Please revive that fish and let it go in Sidney. That’s pretty much max size out here now!

Went out today to give it another try. Fished 6:30 am until 1:00pm, starting at the Trap. Finally, this time, we had an amazing hour between 7:00am and 8:00am. We got a good hit about 7:15am on anchovy at 66’ and at first I thought it was small as it came to the surface right away. Then it set off on two long runs and after a long struggle we got it to the net twice (it was feisty!) and messed up both times and off it popped. Bent hook was the issue. Must have been a poor quality hook as the fish was only high teens in size. Just thirty minutes later, out of nowhere, both rods went off at once . Uh oh! Double header chinook, a very rare occurrence for us and a problem. My wife got hers to the boat but she cannot handle both a net in one hand and and a rod with fighting fish in the other. Fortunately mine had run off 70 metres, so I was able to net hers one handed while maintaining contact with mine in my dominant left hand. We left her fish in the net on the floor and I tussled mine back to the boat and after a nervous moment with the second net my wife netted it. Hers went 9lb; mine went 14lb. Anchovy at 66' again. One on a JDF jelllyfish head and one on a tiger stripe teaser head.

We spent another two hours at the Trap but not another touch. Went down past Beechy and around to Aldridge and then fought the fast flood tide back to the Trap. No more touches. Should have packed up at 8:15am!! LOL;)

Where that random double header came from, I do not know, but it sure made for an exciting 10 minutes!!:)

Careful there English.... With your dominant hands and one handed netting prowess, you may end up being one of the "Sooke Fishing Gods" you speak so fondly of..... ;)

Careful there English.... With your dominant hands and one handed netting prowess, you may end up being one of the "Sooke Fishing Gods" you speak so fondly of..... ;)
Good one Bent Tip!! LOL. But the Fishing Gods need fear not; I can aspire to their exalted status, but never, ever achieve same!!!:)

Fished the Head to the Shack 6:30-noon. Took home 2 springs up to 13lbs and lost a couple more. The large number of 3-4lb springs looks promising for next year. I must have released around 10.

Beechy Head and Trap Shack again today. No bite s from 6 - 10:10 and saw nothing caught, then it was on. 4 hatchery springs at the trap in 30 mins. Between 7-10lbs all on green/white coho killer/ betsy flasher combo @70'. Anchovy wasn't working today. Lots of little 3 inch bait showing, guess that's why coho killer was ticket.

Jeezus, @Englishman had a double header. That info should be sent to DFO so they can extrapolate that amount of fish out for the rest of the summer, we may double up our quota. ;-)

All in good fun Englishman. :)

Beechy Head and Trap Shack again today. No bite s from 6 - 10:10 and saw nothing caught, then it was on. 4 hatchery springs at the trap in 30 mins. Between 7-10lbs all on green/white coho killer/ betsy flasher combo @70'. Anchovy wasn't working today. Lots of little 3 inch bait showing, guess that's why coho killer was ticket.
Just curious how you know the bait size?

Wednesday report, Beechy head 0/11 it was a tough day. But awesome out .Just couldn't get them to stick around long enough.

Today 3 / 4, released 5lber and kept 18lb and 14 lbs. Was a other great day.

Incredible weather, good fishing. Way to much weed in the water geez.

Batting avg not great but I am getting them.

Fished wed night 5 till 8, nothing in close to possession went out deeper off secretary, small shaker than the good one 85' on rigger in 200 ish feet water. Wild just under the 85 cm limit - short but thick ! Bunch of other small ones after, and one other screamer that was gone right away.
IMG_20180711_183046.jpg

Just curious how you know the bait size?
Was dead calm and saw little fingerlings jumping beside the boat. The stomachs of the fish we caught were empty. Bite came on just when flood started. All the crap was being pushed into the Trap area. Lots of weed.

Back