What hobbies will you be taking on now that the era of recreational fishing is coming to an end?

outbeen

As the title states, what are you going to do to replace recreational fishing as a hobby?

So far im thinking golf, diving (though this may be too much of a tease) and maybe video games.

Hahaha nice one. I guess I’ll continue fishing saltwater when I get the chance but for the most part I’ll just spend more time fishing the local lakes.

Last edited:
I’d like to see about 150 boats full of sportfishers “circle the wagons” around DFO whenever they’re on the water. Just start going around and around them til they’re forced off the water.
Everytime they try to get out

Pretty damn negative and pessimistic post IMO. With some rec fishers having an attitude like this they have given into to DFO and the NGO's to the rest of our detriment. What the hell is the matter with some rec fishers for giving up so easy?! I don't get it?

If it is important to you and future generations then work and fight for it to improve! Hopeless attitudes like this just **** me off! We are blessed to live in a democracy and when enough concerned citizens get organized and work hard positive change can happen as history has proven time again. Now is not the time to give up on rec fishing!

If people want to give up and go do something else then IMO don't make defeatist posts on a SportFISHING forum - go post it on your new hobby forum as you just **** off the folks here trying to improve things for rec fishing. My 2 bits! :mad:

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm, I sold the boat and bought a Bigfoot camper to put on the F350 diesel 4 x 4. Installed a hitch on the front for the two electric bikes and TW200 Enduro I also bought.
When the boss comes along we take the electric bikes and fishing rods for the trout lakes. When I go alone or with a buddy it is the TW200, rods and a rifle/shotgun.........:)
I have had enough launch/retrieve ******** to last me a lifetime, especially at Gold River........no more! Call me a happy camper now...............:) :) :) :)

im sorry but is this not a sideline from
the thread topic...get it straight boys..!
if u want a feel good. start yer own thread. nothing wrong with exporing
options during down time. we love
the sport ...thats why we re here.

FYI....the paddle boarding was a joke.
who cares what you all do with yer
free time. have fun...dont have fun.
thats up to you even if you want to
share or not...!

Pretty damn negative and pessimistic post IMO. With some rec fishers having an attitude like this they have given into to DFO and the NGO's to the rest of our detriment. What the hell is the matter with some rec fishers for giving up so easy?! I don't get it?

If it is important to you and future generations then work and fight for it to improve! Hopeless attitudes like this just **** me off! We are blessed to live in a democracy and when enough concerned citizens get organized and work hard positive change can happen as history has proven time again. Now is not the time to give up on rec fishing!

If people want to give up and go do something else then IMO don't make defeatist posts on a SportFISHING forum - go post it on your new hobby forum as you just **** off the folks here trying to improve things for rec fishing. My 2 bits! :mad:
I don't think you should be so hard on this forum member. He's just saying what a lot of us (especially SVCI) are thinking.You can cover your eyes and pretend it's not happening,but you'll have to acknowledge what's coming sooner or later. My 2 bits.;)

Life experiences have taught me having a few hobbies and interests is a good thing. It's always good to have plan B.
But let me tell you this my grandpa my Dad and myself have worked hard and paid our taxes in this great country for over a hundred years.
To sit back and watch a bunch of morons run OUR fish stocks into extinction pisses me off.
If you think it's worth fighting for ******* fight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know about everyone but if I'm going down I'm going down swinging and I know a bunch of you feel the same.
My grandpa taught my dad to fish and my dad taught me and WE as Canadian tax payers with a vote and a voice deserve the right to teach our kids and grand kids PERIOD.
They can pry my fishing rod out of my dead hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will pound my pud even more with the extra time, might have to get a **** channel to make it work

Starting a new business !!!!
As the future is basically done for us you cant beat your chest ,yell and scream fact is DUMB DUMD dodough has proven he doesnt care about us one bit out here in west. facts are facts its very very sad .We will have memories what it used to be like to fish on the west coast....

I will probably still be sport fishing to the extent my health allows, Thanks to the Federal liberals it just won’t be in BC or Canada. I estimate if I add up all costs associated with my sport fishing boat and other fishing related costs and activities it is about $15,000.00 a year and over the decades have contributed hundred of thousands to the BC coastal economy. My boat is not highly valuable like some who have purchased purpose built sport fishing boats and the infrastructure to support them such as large trailers, trucks, storage, marina and insurance costs etc. Their contribution to the economy of BC and especially the many small coastal communities and many First Nations sport fishing related businesses is much greater than mine.

So once the Federal Liberals destroy sport fishing to the point I sell my boat, (and they are close for JDF) that $15,000. a year gives me options, I can have one good fishing trip a year anywhere in the world. Perhaps fishing Pelagics out of Maui and Lahina harbour one year, Mexico or South America for Pelagics the next year, then world class trout fishing in New Zealand, perhaps give Tarpon fishing a try in Florida and throw in some bass fishing on Lake Okeechobee. I also understand there is some very good fishing in the Amazon which I have always wanted to see.

The liberals plans to destroy sport fishing and take billions of dollars out of the economy of BC offers one interesting option I had not previously considered, the incentive to see the world.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there will always be areas left open for the sport fisherman on the coast, when it comes to the point it's completely shut down pretty sure we'll all be old men. Some that live there may have to join the club and drive a ways but there will be opportunities out there. It's definitely going to hit some of the charter boys hard and I feel for them, I really do.
As far as hobbies go, no shortage of those for me. I am an avid fisherman around home with hundreds of Walleye, Pike and some great Lake trout lakes with in an hours distance. When I'm not fishing or hunting I'm in my shop wood working, or pulling wrenches on engines, building a 450 hp sbc now. It's more a problem of to many hobbies for me not a shortage of them.

Back