Packaging possession limit

big rock

can anyone point me to DFO link on package possession limit of salmon for travel back to my residence
IE. fillet salmon do both fillets have to be attached to the tail?

Thx in advance

1 tail per salmon..so 1 fillet without and 1 without

Exceptions on salmon being fillited ( with tail left on one fillet) is not allowed if :

- a maximum size limit applies, the head and tail must remain attached until you prepare and consume your catch, arrive at your ordinary residence, or deliver your catch to a registered processing facility.

- the head of your salmon can be removed only if the length with the head off is equal to or greater than the minimum legal size of that species for the waters in which it was caught.

Good point.... although I suppose they're main concern is making sure catches are legal ( and easier to tell if a catch is legal)

With modern technology. They could set up a cleaning table at each dock with a measuring device.
Snap a picture that is time stamped with a smart phone.
Showing hatch or wild and size.

Fillet and go. Dfo needs to see proof of my 4 fillets I’d be happy to show them anything so I don’t have to take the mess home.

And as much as I hate the seals. My kids love the show.

3 fellas got touched up at the cleaning table yesterday at Pacific Playgrounds. Legal catch but they were (from what I hear) splitting the two fish they got between the three guys that went out fishing together. It was the same DFO officer that jacked the guy up about fileting at the cleaning table when he’s a seasonal resident there. Apparently he took a lot of flack over that and came back and posted a laminated poster with the “Ordinary Residence” clause. Be careful with your catch fellas, money is tight enough, you don’t need to throw it away to the government so they can misuse it...

It's quite the process to do it right for those of us that transport our catch. But make sure you understand the rules. Also each package or fish must be marked as to what's in it, anglers name and license number. Take a good jiffy marker to mark your bags. I vacuum seal all mine so it makes it easier the write clearly on the packages. I do fillet my larger fish as the regs say you can and I will cut them into smaller portions but be careful to lay them in the larger package as so they can be identified as one fish. I vacuum seal each piece individually then place it carefully in its place on the proper side of the fish and vacuum seal them again in a larger bag to seal them as one fish. Its not easy but take the time, it's not cheap to fish out there do it right so you don't lose your catch over a stupid stipulation. It's not just about the catching it's also about looking after your catch properly so it can be enjoyed at home for a few months to come.

Here is an example of my catch in my own freezer I bring along on my trips, you can't see the license and name of the fisherman as they are on the other side of these bags ( I didn't want them posted on a public site )but it's gives you an idea of a properly packaged catch.

Attachments

• IMG_3443.JPG
    IMG_3443.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Waterwolf not sure exactly sure what you are getting at/describing above "jacked the guy up about filetting at the cleaning table when he's a seasonal resident there" . Are you saying the DFO officer was making assumptions the guy was retaining over his possession limit being only at a 'seasonal residence' and not 'oridinary residence' ? ...or that his filleting methods were not processed correctly (legal) for possession/travel from the seasonal residence to place of ordinary residence? .

Waterwolf not sure exactly sure what you are getting at/describing above "jacked the guy up about filetting at the cleaning table when he's a seasonal resident there" . Are you saying the DFO officer was making assumptions the guy was retaining over his possession limit being only at a 'seasonal residence' and not 'oridinary residence' ? ...or that his filleting methods were not processed correctly (legal) for possession/travel from the seasonal residence to place of ordinary residence? .

Good question. I assume it's over the ordinary residence issue. "Seasonal residence" is a very grey sounding area that probably isn't within the rules. I likely won't fillet at the table - but definitely do the individual meal sizes for freezing...Lots of felt use "Chinook Area XX Date piece x of xx, license number........my buddies and I have been stopped at the Buttle Lake Bridge road block and the officer was quite pleased with our process. Frankly do not mind the enforcement and check, keep people honest and hammer those that aren't.

I'll be at PP end of July with my new boat and family. Hope to meet the guy with some fish at the dock!

Good question. I assume it's over the ordinary residence issue. "Seasonal residence" is a very grey sounding area that probably isn't within the rules. I likely won't fillet at the table - but definitely do the individual meal sizes for freezing...Lots of felt use "Chinook Area XX Date piece x of xx, license number........my buddies and I have been stopped at the Buttle Lake Bridge road block and the officer was quite pleased with our process. Frankly do not mind the enforcement and check, keep people honest and hammer those that aren't.

Do you keep the tail on one of the pieces you vacuum pack?

Do you keep the tail on one of the pieces you vacuum pack?

Yes.

Or you could take it to a licensed fish processor and have it portioned

I'll be at PP end of July with my new boat and family. Hope to meet the guy with some fish at the dock!
Look me up when you get there, I get in July 29th, blue RH aluminum with twin G2's.

Now this is the problem not getting the info first hand, but my understanding is that the DFO guy stopped this gentleman from filleting his catch. The guy explained that he lived in the park (which is where the cleaning table is located. The DFO officer said that he could gut his fish, walk it to his trailer, filet it and return the carcass to the cleaning station for disposal. Therefore he was compliant with the 'transporting your catch'. Now I come from a law enforcement background and have always tried to enforce laws with a touch of common sense added in knowing that there is a lot of grey to law in general. Tell me how what this DFO officer advised this fella made any sense? Walking the fish 100 yards or less to filet just as he would have at the station...to me that's equivalent to driving at 5km/hr over the speed limit if you know what I mean.

Back