2018 Kyuquot Reports

Hi guys,

Looking for some information regarding camping/mooring in kyuquot. I'll be pulling my own boat up there so just looking for the closest camping grounds/dock and moorage to the fishing grounds. Please feel free to Pm if you choose! Thanks guys!

There is camping in fair harbour as well as morage and fuel with a small store. I'm not aware of camping with docks anywhere else. There is morage at the government dock in Walters cove, however no camping that I know of. Lots of coves and sheltered spots if you anchour and camp. Most that I know rent cabins and boat in from fair harbour.
Hope this helps mmmroe

Heading for Murphy's next Tuesday; we usually go later but this was the time that worked out for us this year. Hope it's not too early but I'll post the results when we get back. Any other reports between now and then would be great.

Beau dog
Your probably going to time it perfect !!
I was in Nootka the last 10 days and it was pretty decent fishing the word around town at the place I was at says it's on fire with a few tires in the mix.

Tight lines
Billydoo

Hey greenhornet,
in Nootka, what were you fishing for and do you know how good the salmon fishing is. I have been fishing in Kyuquot the past three days with only one 22 pound spring.
Thanks.

Hi Sharp shooter
I limited 4 guys out the two days I ran from nootka up to Kyuquot for salmon,I was fishing 18 miles offshore at the wales tale not sure if you are familiar with this area or have big enough boat to get there its a real trek,horrible in ruff seas,you have to pick your days and weather.Its been very ruff since you arrived so getting out offshore can be a challenge in big seas.I had a few friends up there the past week they did well but offshore,so maybe inside fishing isn't great the same as nootka this time of year its best to be outside hope that helps and use the smallest blue or purple spoon 6 ft leader and a purple haze flasher. Good Luck...

Tight lines
Billydoo

Beau dog
Your probably going to time it perfect !!
I was in Nootka the last 10 days and it was pretty decent fishing the word around town at the place I was at says it's on fire with a few tires in the mix.

Tight lines
Billydoo

Thanks greenhornet, appreciate the insights and glad you had a good trip. I'll definitely post the results of our trip when I get back next week.

I will be careful to watch out for the "tire fire" though....;)

Just got back from a few days fishing up at a new up and coming lodge Kapoose Creek. We float plane into Kyuquot where we got picked up by the lodge boat mid day. Spent a few hours fishing off spring island in some fairly rough water, but it was nice and sunny. The fish weren’t into biting so we got more interested in checking out the lodge.

The lodge is located around from rugged point on an epic piece of property right at Kapoose Creek. It’s a special place to hang out and explore with really nice beaches and an estuary that the Kapoose Creek winds through. Perfect for paddling or stand up boarding to take a break from the boat. The lodge itself is self sustaining, rustic but quite luxurious all at the same time, with a great crew of people.

The next day we woke to some rough seas and wet weather, but the crew was fired up to get out and get into some fish. We tried out off shore at the whales tale. Through out the day we managed to get 4 springs on board and a double header of Hali. It wasn’t fast and furious fishing like I would have liked, but it was good company. The fish were pretty deep 220 to 180, and we used anchovy and blue silver skinny g to get them. Didn’t switch the gear all that much, did run a glo turd for some time but no luck. Over all it seemed like most boats were really working for the bites. We rounded out our day closer to shore where we picked up some nice Lings. The third day we tried trolling in closer to grassy island for a bit with no luck so tried the tail again but also no luck. We didn’t get started early so maybe there was an early bite that we missed but it was pretty slow fishing it seemed.

Had an awesome time up around the Kyuquot area, love the coast there, fishing was a little slow, maybe the full moon cycle effected things but didn’t matter a good time was had.

Just got back from Murphy's Lodge in Kyuquot and had some of the best weather I've ever seen. Fishing was very good early but slowed down after noon, there were still fish and we did catch later in the day but it was a lot more work, so you want to be substantially limited by 11 or so. We did well and came back with our limits of lings, hali and salmon; none of the salmon were huge, all between 18 and 24lbs (although the day after we left someone got a 32). Lings ranged from 16 - 32 lbs, also ended up with 2 great overs around 48lbs. Fished all over but did very well at the whale's tail on a morning that was like fishing on a mill pond.

I have a coworker that fishes out of Kyuquot every year annually around this time. He just got back and said he had hard time finding big Chinook. Few small Chinook , Halibut and was slow for coho, wasent very impressed. Last year he said the coho were so thick they were hitting the down rigger clips. He fishes mostly off shore. He did not say how others were doing so perhaps he was just unlucky this year.

Ill be up there July 28th to the 2nd of August for my first time! Anyone else going to be there around that time? Also looking to see how the fishing has been up there!

Cheers!

Ill be up there July 28th to the 2nd of August for my first time! Anyone else going to be there around that time? Also looking to see how the fishing has been up there!

Cheers!

Ill be there July 27-29 - 3 days guided with the Kyuqout Chief. Hopefully get the same big fish limits as last year. I will report by tuesday.

Back