Fished Sunday.
6-9am for Chinook. Not even a sniff in pedder.
930-1 for halibut . Got into the dogfish. Anchor popped. Went home.

Nice day for boating.

When I got back to the dock. The cleaning table was the same as when I walked past it at 530. DRY.

They gotta be here soon. Last year this time of June I was getting 20#s regularly.

I fished Sunday from 10 till 1 or so in Becher Bay and the Head for 2 fish, one of which had to go back. Both came on a lemon lime AP herring spoon at 80 feet. I couldn’t get bait to work for some reason. The oversize fish made some good runs and woke me up from a slight hangover (too much reposado Saturday night). Best cure ever!
T2

Well, another session today and another skunking.:(

Fished from 7:00am until 1:00pm. We went to Otter (east side of course!). Every time we go to Otter I wonder why I bother. The answer of course is most folks do quite well there but not us. In the 9 years we have fished off Sooke we have had maybe a dozen sessions around Otter and been skunked at least 75% of the time. And the two or three times we have got something it has always been a single fish.

The fish were there though today, around the tide change from 10:00am until 11:00am. We saw several fish landed around us, mostly from the guide boats off the end of the point, but we could not buy a bite. :(Tried herring and anchovy at many different depths. The only kind of hit we had was bringing up the gear when a small fish took near the surface, but quickly shook the hook. The curse of Otter!

Maybe we should offer up prayers and offerings to placate the gods, but I am sure the curse of Otter will never be broken!! LOL:)

Sadly, Sheringham and Muir were always kinder to us than Otter in past years, but next week we will have to head East again. No point in going to Otter especially after July 1st when the dozen boats crowded off the point today will multiply to 50!!:eek:

Well, another session today and another skunking.:(

Fished from 7:00am until 1:00pm. We went to Otter (east side of course!). Every time we go to Otter I wonder why I bother. The answer of course is most folks do quite well there but not us. In the 9 years we have fished off Sooke we have had maybe a dozen sessions around Otter and been skunked at least 75% of the time. And the two or three times we have got something it has always been a single fish.

The fish were there though today, around the tide change from 10:00am until 11:00am. We saw several fish landed around us, mostly from the guide boats off the end of the point, but we could not buy a bite. :(Tried herring and anchovy at many different depths. The only kind of hit we had was bringing up the gear when a small fish took near the surface, but quickly shook the hook. The curse of Otter!

Maybe we should offer up prayers and offerings to placate the gods, but I am sure the curse of Otter will never be broken!! LOL:)

Sadly, Sheringham and Muir were always kinder to us than Otter in past years, but next week we will have to head East again. No point in going to Otter especially after July 1st when the dozen boats crowded off the point today will multiply to 50!!:eek:
I useually fish Aldridge to the head

Fished Sunday and landed 3 of 4 hits, all wild, all released. 75, 83, and a 100cm whopper that was my friends biggest fish to date.

Saw a lot of nets out around us too, so bite was definitely on.

All hits came on bait and we were fishing relatively deep.

Sad to land 3 nice salmon and take home nothing to feed the families with.

That's a good days fishing in anyone's book. Congrats. Hope you got your friend a picture of his big released fish. Just four more days and the slot should become a little less restrictive so hopefully you will be able to take home some salmon and it won't all be catch and release.

Last edited:
At Pedder today from 7am to 3pm My buddy landed a 9lb keeper 10:30am. 80ft on DR in 120ft of water. That was it for the day. 7 or 8 other boats in the area but didn't see any other fish landed.

Last edited:
92780@2x.png
92781@2x.png

NO there is NO FISH in sooke stay away.... (sarcasm) I must admit this is some of the best fishing ive seen in sooke in a long time and coho have started to show up as well....
TODAY is the day of not letting big fish go . ive had to let about 6 or so over in the last 10 days one close to 30 ish ...and i was thankful it was lip hooked to swim another day ....last pic is guys holding up the fish we had to let go!!!! all 3 of them in one day VERY SAD........ see you on water
Good luck wolf

92780@2x.png
92781@2x.png

NO there is NO FISH in sooke stay away.... (sarcasm) I must admit this is some of the best fishing ive seen in sooke in a long time and coho have started to show up as well....
TODAY is the day of not letting big fish go . ive had to let about 6 or so over in the last 10 days one close to 30 ish ...and i was thankful it was lip hooked to swim another day ....last pic is guys holding up the fish we had to let go!!!! all 3 of them in one day VERY SAD........ see you on water
Good luck wolf
Glad to hear that coho are starting to show up

Reactions: PHW
Well after 5 days of great fishing today was a tough day lost 2 and landed probably 20 small coho and small jimmy springs at one point the coho were everywhere . VERY surprising to see...

Full moon tides always suck still some nice fish I saw that were landed , just not by the bluewolf today. maybe sunday im taking a much needed day off
Good luck wolf

Well after 5 days of great fishing today was a tough day lost 2 and landed probably 20 small coho and small jimmy springs at one point the coho were everywhere . VERY surprising to see...

Full moon tides always suck still some nice fish I saw that were landed , just not by the bluewolf today. maybe sunday im taking a much needed day off
Good luck wolf
How big were the coho today

I would say 4 lbs yesterday they were about 6 lbs each they were even jumping everywhere today..Guess i shouldn't say that, DFO will shut that down too....

Last few days were slower (wind didnt help) managed a spring a day lost a few still coho around . I counted 23 boats from beechy to secretary VERY sad to see for a sunday long weekend . also saw most of the charter fleet at dock today at jocks and sooke harbour . sad times for our fishery... sure wish I had a magic wand I could wave to make it better

Back