2018 Port Renfrew Reports

Well the Heavy Hauler stunk up the place yesterday :) Was real slow on the beach, had 1 hit saw 1 fish get caught. Blaming it on FishT catching them all before they got a chance to come our way :rolleyes: Arimadave go past Carmanah the dick,ears are producing.

Just got back, sat weather was nice, offshore for hali, 46lbs and 25lbs in a few hrs, small spings on the chicken ranch side in ok numbers, i did not try, beach was slow

Just got back, sat weather was nice, offshore for hali, 46lbs and 25lbs in a few hrs, small spings on the chicken ranch side in ok numbers, i did not try, beach was slow
Dont forget to drop of some of that halibut at my house on the way by :)

Dont forget to drop of some of that halibut at my house on the way by :)
I drove by your place on thursday night, place look empty so did not stop,will have to set up a day that your home and stop by for a good bs session, wife is hard up on buying a place in there

Fished up to Camper on Weds and Thurs. Didn't see anything hooked by fleet of 12 on Wed so went for black rockfish with topwater plugs. That was quite entertaining and productive. Tried repeat on Thurs but fleet was down to 2 boats so did not try for long..

That plan B sounds like fun, what sort of topwater plug have you had success with for those? I see the schools up in the film mashing krill sometimes and it's given me some ideas.

fb

That plan B sounds like fun, what sort of topwater plug have you had success with for those? I see the schools up in the film mashing krill sometimes and it's given me some ideas.

fb
If your to flyfishing, floating line and a clouser or any baitfish fly,in tight to kelp will get you in to lots of fun

fb

We were using a Top Pup by Mirrolure or Skitterwalk by Rapala. I think when it got a little choppy a chugged or popping plug would be better like a Chug Bug by Storm. Working it medium to slow with pauses seemed key.

Had the flyrod with a foam popper ready too so got some dry fly action brutus. :).

Attachments

• IMG_20180613_190239_552.jpg
    IMG_20180613_190239_552.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20180614_211753_599.jpg
    IMG_20180614_211753_599.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 92
I used to use buzz booms stingers Perkins I used to fish very close to kelp bed I used mostly 40 or 60 grams ones but the smaller one on a trout rod is lots of fun,you thing you have a big one it has it’s mouth open

We were using a Top Pup by Mirrolure or Skitterwalk by Rapala. I think when it got a little choppy a chugged or popping plug would be better like a Chug Bug by Storm. Working it medium to slow with pauses seemed key.

Had the flyrod with a foam popper ready too so got some dry fly action brutus. :).

nice,ya spend a few days playing with the fly rods on these aggressive biters,lots of fun,got some good size lings that way too,not on top but with floating line and long leader and a baitfish fly,also use deep 7 fast sink lines along some of the reefs,that worked well too,but you loose a lot or gear lol

That looks like a BLAST! My kids would love doing that. They get really bored just trolling for salmon so I promised them I'd let them fish for rockfish. I've only fished along the beach there and didn't really notice kelp beds. Are there kelp beds west from the Camper Creek area? I noticed that there are RCAs farther up the coast... so maybe I should run up just east of Carmanah outside the RCA? Will be up next week! Excited to try it out.

That looks like a BLAST! My kids would love doing that. They get really bored just trolling for salmon so I promised them I'd let them fish for rockfish. I've only fished along the beach there and didn't really notice kelp beds. Are there kelp beds west from the Camper Creek area? I noticed that there are RCAs farther up the coast... so maybe I should run up just east of Carmanah outside the RCA? Will be up next week! Excited to try it out.
yes,i used to do it east of east point,botanical beach,but now is part of the closure,only option now is west,anywhere out of the rca with reefs and kelp will give you action

Another option for the kids is a popping cork and jig. Since you probably can't buy a suitable shape bobber corks here you or the kids could whittle a piece of cedar into an egg shape with a flat face on the bigger side. Put in a small eye loop screw to each end. Tie the flat end to the mainline and then 3 ft of leader to the small pointed end and a 1/4oz jig head or even better a 1/4oz egg sinker or big split shot and 2/0 circle hook. Add a Gulp or strip of bait and the kids/rockfish will go wild. When the fish start hitting the cork and not the bait then throw the plug. :)

You could paint it but the fish might not care. Couldn't find a good video but you can try searching for "popping cork sea trout".

Screenshot_20180617-175538.png

Another option for the kids is a popping cork and jig. Since you probably can't buy a suitable shape bobber corks here you or the kids could whittle a piece of cedar into an egg shape with a flat face on the bigger side. Put in a small eye loop screw to each end. Tie the flat end to the mainline and then 3 ft of leader to the small pointed end and a 1/4oz jig head or even better a 1/4oz egg sinker or big split shot and 2/0 circle hook. Add a Gulp or strip of bait and the kids/rockfish will go wild. When the fish start hitting the cork and not the bait then throw the plug. :)

You could paint it but the fish might not care. Couldn't find a good video but you can try searching for "popping cork sea trout".

View attachment 38393

Cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

Heading to renfrew tomorrow for 6 days. Stoked to get away and get some time on the water. How has it been along the beach?
Has there been much fog? Any info is helpful. Thanks

Heading to renfrew tomorrow for 6 days. Stoked to get away and get some time on the water. How has it been along the beach?
Has there been much fog? Any info is helpful. Thanks
just got back,on and off on the beach,few here and there,got one 24lbs on sat,bank is very good from what I seen hali and feeder size springs. had some guest that were seasick at the beach so no offshore for me this time lol

just got back,on and off on the beach,few here and there,got one 24lbs on sat,bank is very good from what I seen hali and feeder size springs. had some guest that were seasick at the beach so no offshore for me this time lol
Yep bank is on fire for 6-8 lb feeders oh what fun, hey then you can throw a 12-15 lb hally on top of that for fun, well worth the ride:eek::p:rolleyes:, officially retired as of last Friday, heading out on Thursday to give the beach a rub. What are you riding out there now so i can get the mooching weights ready to launch :D

Yep bank is on fire for 6-8 lb feeders oh what fun, hey then you can throw a 12-15 lb hally on top of that for fun, well worth the ride:eek::p:rolleyes:, officially retired as of last Friday, heading out on Thursday to give the beach a rub. What are you riding out there now so i can get the mooching weights ready to launch :D
25 wellcraft with a 225 honda , black soft top, launch those weight i bought kids baseball bat i will be swinging them back at you lol, where is your boat??? Did not see it tied up?? Usally dont bother with the ranch, just hit some of the north east side spots for hali then beach for salmon.

Back